Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Which lens storage do you prefer?
Round, hard "Takumar" type cases with a snap 626.09%
Soft Pouch with drawstring 1147.83%
Nothing - I like my lenses nekkid! 626.09%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2010, 08:05 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hard Case or Soft Pouch?

Here's a question everyone should have an opinion on....

I've got old Taks and I've got new DA and FA lenses.

I love the old, hard, round cool Takumar black leather hard cases, but the new soft "pouch with a draw string" cases have appeal!

Which would you prefer if both were available for a new Pentax lens, and why?

thanks,

germar

Last edited by germar; 01-08-2010 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Fixed Punctuation
01-08-2010, 08:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Soft cases, only because they'll be going into a backpack bag anyway for my setup. Hard cases are bulkier, meaning less room.
01-08-2010, 08:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
both, really depends...
01-09-2010, 10:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

depends. In hard cases for storage or in unpadded bag. I also string a strap through a number of hard cases' strap rings to carry a bunch of lenses strap around neck or over shoulder. Nekkid on camera , in padded-sections of camera bag or backpack.

01-09-2010, 10:55 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
neither

I prefer the soft padded adorama/lowepro pouches with zippers.
like these
I've actually taken all the inserts out of my camera bag and just use the pouches, I can fit as many lenses this way and they get stored at home in the same pouches. Also, if I feel the need to take that one extra lens that won't fit in the bag there are velcro'd flaps that allow you to hook the pouch to your belt. That makes it handy if you are frequently switching between two or three different lenses.

NaCl(and I don't have to worry as much about a lens falling out of the bag)H2O
01-09-2010, 11:01 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luke0622 Quote
both, really depends...
I agree. I like those new pouches that come with the DA lenses since they help give a little extra padding in the bag.
01-09-2010, 02:38 PM   #7
Forum Member

Limited Lens Case ?

I prefer soft pouch, but... does anybody have the "Limited lens case" announced at PMA 2009 ?? I just realized that they are available on Pentax Webstore. Looks nice !

01-09-2010, 03:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I don't use cases at all for my Pentax lenses, I use the Pentax Sling bag for my Pentax lenses and the soft cushioned case that came with my Tamron 70-200 f2.8
01-09-2010, 04:39 PM   #9

My favorites are the black soft pouch with the velcro, add it to your list & I'll vote

I do like the hard cases also, but I've read a few times they might increase the mold/fungus problem, so I shy away from using those. The drawstring pouch looks nice but kind of a hassle to use.
01-09-2010, 07:39 PM   #10

All my Super Takumars are in their original cases. My bayonet lenses, Ms, As, and FAs are on a shelf in my closet. I've looked at the Lowe-Pro lens cases, but they are too big for most of the Pentax lenses so I try to keep a separator between the lenses when I put them in a shoulder bag. I'm not really satisfied with that method. It's also a question on how much do I want to pack -- I uses primes for the most part.

Vern
01-10-2010, 09:00 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by David07 Quote
I prefer soft pouch, but... does anybody have the "Limited lens case" announced at PMA 2009 ?? I just realized that they are available on Pentax Webstore. Looks nice !
That's interesting but a bit pricey.
01-10-2010, 10:48 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I use my soft cases ...supplied by Pentax...with my 50 f2.8 Macro and my 10-17 Fisheye. I put them in the soft bags and then tuck them in the camera case. I figure the soft bags add extra protection...but most of the protection is my care and the camera bag foam.

I have old hard cases...but they were difficult (big/awkward) to put in camera cases...so I didn't use them much.
01-15-2010, 11:22 AM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by David07 Quote
I bought one when I bought my DA limited set and K-7:

Sorry, I thought I had another picture with the lenses inside, but can't find it right now online.

It can actually fit all 4 lenses, but it's a tight fit and one of the internal lens separators (the one of the very end) would have to be removed - no big deal however. Someone had said the case wouldn't fit FA limited lenses, but it seems to fit my FA 77 just fine too. (I'm in the process of determining whether to keep the 70 or 77. Thus far, they seem pretty comparable in terms of image quality. The 70 seems to focus faster.)