to compete with canon 85 1.8, and attract more consumer to pentax system

06-21-2007, 12:44 AM   #2

Original Poster
this pic taken by tamron 70-300 di LD
it would be much better, if i had a 85/1.8

77le is too expensive for me

06-21-2007, 12:51 AM   #3
Forum Member

Pentax decided not to compete directly but to build very compact lenses - here the 2.4/70.

Oh yes, they had the very good K 1.8/85 and it would be very good for Pentax if they'd build this lens as an AF-version....

I have the K 1.8 and had the A* 1.4/85.
Had some Tokina AT-X telezooms (60-120 and 80-200) too but they couldn't hold up with the quality of the Pentax 85mm.
Having the Tamron 70-300Di right now : Yes, it's a fine consumer telezoom, better than the Sigmas in many aspects, better than any nn-300 superzoom. But - sorry- not as good as those 85mm-primes.

:-) Paul
06-21-2007, 04:27 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd agree, I'd like to see Pentax just go back through the archives and look at their best lenses. Update the cosmetics and add the DA features if possible (just leave them as FF) and re introduce them. The 85mm is obvious as is the 200mm f2.8 macro, 20mm f2.0, 15mm fish-eye etc "Recycling" these designs should cut down on the R&D costs and speed up putting them back on the market. I think there's a place for a cheaper 50 like the old SMC F 50mm 1.7, SMC F 28mm f2.8 and FA 28-70 f4 for people getting started.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 06-22-2007 at 10:47 AM.
06-21-2007, 04:49 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I'd agree, I'd like to see Pentax just go back through the archives and look at their best lenses. Update the cosmetics and add the DA features if possible (just leave them as FF) and re introduce them. The 85mm is obvious as is the 200mm f2.8 macro, 20mm f2.0, 15mm fsh-eye etc "Recycling these designs should cut down on the R&D costs and speed up putting them back on the market. I think there's a place for a cheaper 50 like the old SMC F 50mm 1.7, SMC F 28mm f2.8 and FA 28-70 f4 for people getting started.
ya la, obviously profit will go tamron&sigma if there are not enough pentax lens around

20 f2.0 or 24 1.4 will be a good prime as well
06-21-2007, 06:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by xbadx Quote
20 f2.0 or 24 1.4 will be a good prime as well
Please no ! I don't think I'd be able to resist a 24 f/1.4, and my wallet just can't take any more abuse
06-22-2007, 03:58 AM   #7

Original Poster
another taken by Tamron 70-300 di LD
thanks for ur guys support 85/1.8

Attached Images

06-22-2007, 08:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd agree, I'd like to see Pentax just go back through the archives and look at their best lenses. Update the cosmetics and add the DA features if possible (just leave them as FF) and re introduce them. The 85mm is obvious as is the 200mm f2.8 macro, 20mm f2.0, 15mm fsh-eye etc "Recycling" these designs should cut down on the R&D costs and speed up putting them back on the market. I think there's a place for a cheaper 50 like the old SMC F 50mm 1.7, SMC F 28mm f2.8 and FA 28-70 f4 for people getting started.
One of the things for which I applaud Pentax, is there commitment to the APS format. That is to say they are not trying to offload lenses that were designed for the 35mm frame on us, but rather designing lenses with the desiered field fo view on the APS format.

If with 35mm the 70/80 - 200 was such a desirable and favourite mid zoom range, or 85mm was such an ideal focal lenth for portraits, would you not want the 50-135 and 55mm focal lengths that provide equivalent angles of view on APS rather than say a 75-200 which on APS is like a 100-300. I have the Sigma EX f/4 100-300 that I used with my MZ-S and kept wishing I had the 70-200 instead.

I have both the DA* lenses on pre-order and I am anxiously awaiting their delivery.

Cheers, Mike.

06-22-2007, 10:40 AM   #9

I'd agree, I'd like to see Pentax just go back through the archives and look at their best lenses. Update the cosmetics and add the DA features if possible (just leave them as FF) and re introduce them. The 85mm is obvious as is the 200mm f2.8 macro, 20mm f2.0, 15mm fsh-eye etc "Recycling" these designs should cut down on the R&D costs and speed up putting them back on the market. I think there's a place for a cheaper 50 like the old SMC F 50mm 1.7, SMC F 28mm f2.8 and FA 28-70 f4 for people getting started.
Such a simple and logical suggestion! They'll never follow it though. I for one am reluctant to spend serious money on DA lenses as even leaving aside possible (unlikely) future FF bodies, I can't even use them on most older film bodies.

Matthew

Last edited by Matthew Allen; 06-22-2007 at 05:27 PM.
06-22-2007, 07:24 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I really like the concept of the DA lens cept for one thing, no aperture ring. Durn it, I might want to use them with my extension tubes but I can't. I mean if I were to buy a DA macro and wanted to get even closer, I can't use the tubes and control the aperture. On the other hand the quick focus is awesome, I really like that. Considering the price of the kit lens I can't complain about it's build quality. The focus ring isn't that good, it's feel is lacking but it's does the job and the lens takes nice pictures. For the price I'd rather give up some build quality in exchange for better optics. The only DA lens I have at this time is the 18-55mm kit lens. I'm sure the build quality is much better on the more expensive DA lens and I want to eventually get a true macro lens but I'm not sure it will be a DA lens because of the aperture ring issue.
06-23-2007, 05:47 AM   #11

Original Poster
why someone can post very big photo, but i cannot?
06-26-2007, 02:17 PM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by MikePerham Quote
One of the things for which I applaud Pentax, is there commitment to the APS format. That is to say they are not trying to offload lenses that were designed for the 35mm frame on us, but rather designing lenses with the desiered field fo view on the APS format.
I'd would have to disagree with you there. All the manufacturers are making lenses for the smaller sensor format so I don't see what there is to applaud here. Pentax aren't exactly making a special effort here, and let's not forget they have Tokina's cooperation. As for getting the desired field of view on the APS format... well I liked the 50mm prime for the 35mm format, so how do I get the desired field of view? Not in a DA prime. I can get it in a 35mm f/2, by all accounts an excellent lens and one with a field of view close enough to the 50mm when used on an 'APS' sensor. Except it's been discontinued so I have to go hunting for one.

Where I do genuinely applaud Pentax is the pancake lenses. They are something genuinely different. But... they shouldn't be the only choice for primes. Apart from anything else they are mostly slower than their conventional equivalents.

Also, sensor sizes may well increase (not necessarily "full-frame", but still they may increase), and if larger sensors do become the standard then do you really think the DA lenses will retain their value that well? I won't go too much further into that because I know some people are convinced the 'APS' sensor format is with us forever, but I will say this... I shoot film. I know that might make me a laughable old dinosaur but I do shoot 35mm film, and until a couple of years ago this was generally not considered an irrational or unreasonable thing to want to do. In the current lens range (meaning the ones officially listed and advertised by Pentax UK and widely available, not ones I can track down on eBay or import from Japan), the only lenses intended for film use are the two macros. Include the 50mm f/1.4, since availability for these has improved... that's three.

Let's look at the lenses designed for the 35mm format which Pentax could potentially 'offload' on us... a 24mm prime, in addition to being a very useful lens on 35mm film, offers a similar field of view to a 35mm when used on an 'APS' sensor. That would seem to be a very useful lens to have. But Pentax now won't sell me one. A 35mm prime as I said will be similar to a 50mm, and Pentax now won't sell me one of them either. A 28mm prime might be even better since the field of view on 'APS' is similar to 43mm (what Pentax tells us is the perfect 'normal' focal length)... guess what, Pentax won't sell me one.

Those are just some examples. Take a look at the Pentax USA site, and you will find a wonderful choice of lenses, A, FA, and DA. But you can't buy the majority of those lenses, certainly not new and usually you have to trawl eBay. Now look at the ones on the Pentax UK site for what is actually available. Looking at the hopelessly outdated US site, I would love for Pentax to try to offload those lenses on us, and I'm not sure why anyone would consider that a bad thing.

Well this has been a fairly long rant, and let me just say I am not "RiceHigh" in disguise. I am glad to be a Pentax user, I do not want to be anything else, and I always defend Pentax on other forums. I am not switching. But I have to be honest. The choice of lenses at the moment is less than wonderful. I don't like being told that I have to give up on the 35mm format when every other company still offers the lenses designed for that format. The DA lenses are certainly very good but they shouldn't be the only option I have.

Last edited by ZaphodB; 06-26-2007 at 04:17 PM.