Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2010, 09:59 AM   #91
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kunik Quote
I would feel so bad if she bought this expensive high-end lens and then in 13 months had it fail.
You can safely recommend DA limiteds or third party lenses. You really do gain about a stop with SR vs. the competition's bodies without having to pay an IS or VR tax (and I wonder how long those lens stabilization mechanisms will last).

01-12-2010, 10:37 AM   #92

My D40 still focus faster, and more accurately, than my K20D, something I noticed the moment I got my K20D and took photos inside of the bird-house in Smithsonian Zoo. It wasn't unexpected to me, my K20D + FA 50mm f/1.4 had more difficulty, and took longer, to focus, than my D40 + 35mm f/1.8 ... I noticed that with zoom lenses the difference in locking focus was even greater.

I'm sticking w/ Pentax as I'm a casual photographer and I'm fond of their excellent prime lenses selection, but I can imagine the frustration just this issue alone can bring to professionals.

Shawn
01-12-2010, 10:53 AM   #93
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffrey r Quote
So as it stands, I still try to use my 50-135 from time to time, because its IQ is so darn good. But imagine my frustration, with a 5-year old and a 1-year old, when I get opportunities for great shots, and my pro-style lens just sits there and won't focus. So I usually just reach for a different lens in the first place--again a frustrating fact.
I know how you feel Jeffrey. Pentax DSLR's are not known for fast AF, but I have always accepted that, and worked around it. Like when the DA* 50-135 did it's "hunt and peck" at my son's HS graduation, I worked around it. Heck, I even got the Katz-eye so I could MF like I used to in the old days. If the camera missed AF, or was too slow, I could tweak it. But when the brand new lens Pentax sent me did it's SDM number at my daughter's once-only recital, it made me furious. It was then and there I was done with SDM for ever. People can call me irrational, but if they went through the same experience I had with my DA*'s, they may have quit Pentax sooner than I.

The #1 reason I have SLR's / DSLR's is for good pictures of family. Sure I like using and talking about gadgets, and I like photography as a hobby, but I am not the kind of guy that likes to buy rare, exotic cars that break down a lot just for the joy of tinkering. I want to take my camera out of the bag, and have it work.

Last edited by PentaxPoke; 01-12-2010 at 11:07 AM.
01-12-2010, 11:51 AM   #94
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As they are star lens, I really can't understand their QC would be that poor.. They are suppose to be the top of the line lens in the system. I guess I have to think that I am "lucky" that my 50-135 haven't break down yet.. but when you think about they are almost the price of the new camera, you should expect that it works!

01-12-2010, 12:20 PM   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vizjerei Quote
As they are star lens, I really can't understand their QC would be that poor.. They are suppose to be the top of the line lens in the system.
A lot of us can't understand that. For over 2 years people have been complaining about the QC of the DA* 16-50. As a result, one of the mods started a thread in March of 2008:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/22297-da*-16-5...-database.html

That thread is up to 430 posts now.
01-12-2010, 12:23 PM   #96
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FWIW, I've also written to dorianb with hope that the letter will be read and taken on board.
01-12-2010, 12:24 PM   #97
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
A lot of us can't understand that. For over 2 years people have been complaining about the QC of the DA* 16-50. As a result, one of the mods started a thread in March of 2008:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/22297-da*-16-5...-database.html

Of course, as mentioned, it all started off with more decentering or BF/FF issues. Now all the SDM problems are coming out of the woodwork. This lens has had a really bad run but surely Pentax sees it...
01-12-2010, 12:35 PM   #98
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Of course, as mentioned, it all started off with more decentering or BF/FF issues. Now all the SDM problems are coming out of the woodwork. This lens has had a really bad run but surely Pentax sees it...
Exactly. I found that interesting too, that it was a while before people started complaining about the SDM problems. Now we are reading more about the 50-135 SDM problems. I forgot to mention the QC problem I had on the dial of my K-7:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/74934-anyone-else-...k-7-dials.html

It looks like Peter had a similar problem on the k20d. Either we are both incredibly unlucky, or Pentax QC isn't what it was back in the day...

Now that I look back, the best most reliable Pentax DSLR I have had has been the k10d. It is the only one that has admittedly been abused (going to space and all). Still works perfectly. No problems with the dials or anything else. The lenses used (kit 18-55WR and DA 10-17) are fine. Ironically, it was the experience with the k10d that drew me further into the Pentax digital world for my personal use.

Last edited by PentaxPoke; 01-12-2010 at 12:41 PM.
01-12-2010, 12:36 PM   #99
Veteran Member

Let's not transgress from mere complaints to RiceHigh blind hysteria. Not all of the 430 posts are about "bad" lenses or even about any particular lens.

EDIT: My guess is that the problem with SDM isn't quality control. It's crappy materials and/or poor design.
01-12-2010, 12:47 PM   #100
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
How are lens BF/FF issues related only to the lens? It's a light-lens-camera problem. The AF system is at the bottom of the mirror box, not in the lens.
01-12-2010, 12:55 PM   #101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
How are lens BF/FF issues related only to the lens? It's a light-lens-camera problem. The AF system is at the bottom of the mirror box, not in the lens.
The main QC problem on the lens initially was decentering. That is entirely an optical assembly misalignment during manufacture.
01-12-2010, 01:03 PM   #102
Veteran Member

The main QC problem on the lens initially was decentering. That is entirely an optical assembly misalignment during manufacture.
I never said anything about decentering.
01-12-2010, 01:09 PM   #103
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
I never said anything about decentering.
OK, I should have said severe focusing anomalies rather than just simple BF/FF.
I've never experienced it myself but just looking at the 16-50 database it was evidently a problem.
01-12-2010, 01:14 PM   #104
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

I've just received word from dorianb, as referred by Ken (thanks mate), which is at least something enlightening. Unfortunately that enlightenment is with a rather dim lamp - SDM issues are reportedly not common enough according to Pentax USA to consider it a systematic flaw in the technology. Return rates are apparently less than repair rates, and SDM-specific repairs are a relatively small (how small?) proportion of total repairs in the US.

i.e. SDM = good. If it fails, just get it repaired - but it is certainly not considered doomed for failure in any way.

Somehow, I'm not quite convinced this reassurance gels well with what reality we're seeing in just this forum alone...
01-12-2010, 01:21 PM   #105
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I believe I'm quite skilled in that area. here is my sample:

DEAR PENTAX,

your DA*zooms suck !

LOVE,

Pentaxor
-other listed names
-other listed names
-other listed names
Very funny.
Perhaps a little more seriously, here was my recent attempt, sent to quite a number of people, and only one response, just now from dorianb:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/824004-post38.html