Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2010, 11:57 PM   #121
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Ooh, that's a scathing claim...
If repair centres routinely falsified their repair reports to avoid SDM being implicated in DA* breakdowns, then what does that say about the company as a whole?

I'd reserve such judgement until it's blatantly obvious.
Anyone sending in their clearly failed SDM to Pentax getting reports back from them saying SDM was fine?
No no, what I am saying is that while the SDM might come back working, from what I have read on the forums other problems have also come back along with it, such as focus issues, damage, etc...

I just generally get the feeling people aren't happy with what they get back from repair.

01-13-2010, 12:36 AM   #122
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ooh, that's a scathing claim...
If repair centres routinely falsified their repair reports to avoid SDM being implicated in DA* breakdowns, then what does that say about the company as a whole?

I'd reserve such judgement until it's blatantly obvious.
Anyone sending in their clearly failed SDM to Pentax getting reports back from them saying SDM was fine?
I sent mine (a DA*1650 w/ a faulty SDM) to our local Pentax agent, they forwarded the lens to Japan to replace the SDM. I got the lens back in 3 weeks
01-13-2010, 01:37 AM   #123
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
I sent mine (a DA*1650 w/ a faulty SDM) to our local Pentax agent, they forwarded the lens to Japan to replace the SDM. I got the lens back in 3 weeks
Good to hear something positive for a change!
01-13-2010, 01:51 AM   #124
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good stuff frank.
Sorry for the misunderstanding sebberry.

01-13-2010, 08:17 AM   #125
Pentaxian

After reading here on the forums how long repairs take, I was concerned when I sent my 17-70 in for SDM replacement. However I was very surprised how quickly the rens was reparied and returned to me in about month's time.

The lens works fine now, no other apparent problems, but I did have to use a lens cloth and scrub a scuff mark off the front element as soon as I pulled the lens out of the package. I was a little surprised by the mark, but it came off, so it wasn't a big deal after that.
01-13-2010, 12:25 PM   #126
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another good report to hear.
With an SDM replacement, I hope it's one that lasts you a lifetime.
01-13-2010, 02:47 PM   #127
Pentaxian

Me too, me too.

01-20-2010, 08:37 PM   #128
Veteran Member

Peter I missed this thread .... I am not a professional (although sometimes I play one in the field haha), but like you the DA* 16-50 was my go to lens used for at least 40% if not more.

I bought it new in May 2008, with a Canadian 2 year warrenty . Well last weelk the SDM died , the AF went not sure WTF happened. (You can hear something rattle inside). It's pretty rare for me anyway to have something break with 4 months left on the warrenty I just got lucky.

I have not had the same issue the DA* 50-135 and generally think it is just better built. I love the DA* 16-50 and as you point out there is no equal. Then again I don't use the DA* 50-135 anywhere near as much as the DA* 16-50.

Anyway I had to pick up a Sigma 17-70 (I hope I did) as I expect the warrenty repiar to take the standard 6-8 weeks and I am going away in about 4. If it comes back good as new I will seel the Sigma 17-70. The Sigma is well regraded , and I will be using outdoors as a walkaround lens. It would be nice to have the DA* 16-50 for the WS alone but I am not hopfull the repair will be done in time.
01-20-2010, 08:59 PM   #129
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh well, another one bites the dust.
Sorry to hear it Dave, but glad that you'll at least have it sorted out within warranty.
01-20-2010, 09:24 PM   #130
Veteran Member

Oh well, another one bites the dust.
Sorry to hear it Dave, but glad that you'll at least have it sorted out within warranty.
it just never ends.

anyway, I think it would be wise to caution the new members of the forum. we don't wanna see any future disappointments. when I had my share of misfortunes, I had somewhat develop a phobia on this lens and would hesitate to even recommend it to anyone.
01-20-2010, 11:10 PM   #131
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Well mine finally died. It just stopped locking focus with SDM (it had been very slow the last month or so). It's off to repair as we speak.

Sorry to hear you suffered this as well Dave. I hope the replacement lasts next time. Maybe drop into MacBean and grab an extended warranty before it expires when the new one or repaired one comes back.

Edit: And as of this writing, I've heard nothing from the 5 letters I wrote. Not a peep out of the 2 head offices or the reps.
maybe you need to pull an Andy Dufresne stunt?
01-21-2010, 12:15 AM   #132
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nor I Peter, other than Dorien's token gestures.
Hard not to be disappointed about it.
Hope a rabbit out of the Pentax hat trick is going to be pulled some time soon...
01-21-2010, 12:44 AM   #133
Veteran Member

MAYBE

just maybe they are secretly made by Canon...........
Canon 17-55 f2.8 EF-S IS 29% IS failure, AF electronics, ERR99
LensRentals.com - Lens Repair Data 3.5
Another $1000 lens I'd have a hard time trusting....
# The Canon 17-55 IS has always been a high repair rate lens, although it’s been more problematic during the last 6 months than previously. We don’t think anything is really different, since the types of repairs are the same as they’ve always been and the rate, while up a bit, isn’t hugely higher.
# The Canon 50 f1.4 joins the list this period. Autofocus motor failure tended to hit hard at about one year’s use, which is why it hasn’t shown up until now — we only started stocking this lens about 18 months ago.
01-21-2010, 12:55 AM   #134
Veteran Member

oh wow... looks like Pentax isn't the only ones to have issues. It's nice to see the bigger picture.
01-21-2010, 01:05 AM   #135
Veteran Member

Peter

Sorry to hear that you have trouble with the DA*zoom
I did not read the whole thread.
Seems DA* zoom has a tendency to fail prematurely and I have heard a lot less from DA* prime users with SDM problem
I have only the DA200mm. God forbidden nothing happens there yet. Pentax likely has some teething problem matching the complicated zoom design with SDM.
My only zoom is a lowly Sigma 24-60mmF2.8 still ok with 5 yrs of warranty left

Daniel