Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2010, 12:22 PM   #31

I faced the same dilemma when carrying my K10D on hiking and mountain-biking trips. Like you, I use the Sigma 17-70 as my standard lens and find I take 85% of my photos with it. I've also carried the Tamron 24-135, which does have a useful longer end and married it to a Tamron 1.4 teleconverter. That gives me 24mm to about 200mm.

Still, most of the time I like the simplicity of carrying one lens and the 17-70 is it.

Mike

01-13-2010, 01:06 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Richie1978 Quote
does it sound worse on the youtube video than in real life?
That depends entirely on how loud your speakers are, but come on - hear how loud it was just turning the camera on, or taking the hood off? The mic was obviously very sensitive. I really don't see the sound of the focus motor as being worth worrying about - it's far quieter than, for instance, the sound of the shutter, or the sound of unzipping your camera bag, or any of the zillions of other sounds in life we all take for granted. This is no different.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 01-13-2010 at 02:08 PM.
01-13-2010, 01:23 PM   #33
Richie1978

Guess this could be true that it was such a sensitive mic.

I'm just asking because my Sigma 70-300 is horrible.
01-13-2010, 01:52 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
That depends entirely on how loud your speakers are, but come on - hear how loud it was just turning the camera on, or tking the hood off? The mic was obviously very sensitive. I really don't see the sound of the focus motor as being worth worrying about - it's far quieter than, for instance, the sound of the shutter, or the sound of unzipping your camera bag, or any of the zillions of other sounds in life we all take for granted. This is no different.
Yeah, you're right about the mic. But that's pretty much how it sounds if you have the camera next to your face.

BTW, I had the lens for a while (it was gifted to me in '08). I took a tripod and went out to test it. I hated it. The combination of the AF sound and the tendency to hunt (on account of the small aperture on the long end) is perfect for scaring every living being (other that human) around you. Alternatively, you can go into the forest with a power drill.

01-13-2010, 02:09 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Richie1978 Quote
I'm just asking because my Sigma 70-300 is horrible.
Well, it's probably pretty similar to the 55-300 - the lenses are similar in size, so the motor is working just as hard and moving about the same mass. If it bothers you, by all means, choose a lesser lens.