Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2010, 01:46 PM   #1

Advice for Prime

Hi all,

I got a white K-X for Christmas and I'm in love with it! It makes a great companion for my Fuji 31fd. As I took pictures of other relatives unwrapping there gifts I noticed that the kit lens just isn't fast enough to capture a lot of movements. I primarily shoot at concerts and outdoors.

I've been looking primarily between the DA and FA limited series and am leaning more towards the FA for the better bokeh and faster stops. My main question is which one should I get first? My first real big outing will be February 1st when one of my favorite bands comes to town and I'll be bringing my K-X along in case I decide not to film it.

The venue is fairly small, 150 people max and I cant decide between the FA 43mm limited and the FA 77mm limited. I'm also looking into the FA 50mm f1.4.

Any and all help/input is appreciated.

01-09-2010, 02:36 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cedromar,
An alternative to the FA 50mm f1.4 is the Voigtlander 58mm f1.4. For the same price (new) as the FA 50mm, the Nokton 58mm is a far superior lens: see review {http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/360-voigtlander-nokton-58mm-f14-sl-ii}. The Nokton lens is manual focus, and the image quality is superb. The lens construction quality is outstanding.

I bought the Nokton 58mm f1.4 for some low light outdoor shooting and I am very impressed by its indoor performances. I use it with my K-7 and it will work as well with the K-x.

Last edited by hcc; 01-09-2010 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Typos
01-09-2010, 03:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You won't be disapointed with the 77mm. You may find the 43mm or 50mm a bit short for your needs. Really depends on how close you'll be to the band. 77mm is one of my absolute favourite lenses.
01-09-2010, 03:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Can you give us the exif (focal length, shutter, aperture, iso and the shooting mode) of those shots you took and found the kit lens to be not fast enough, so appropriate advice on lenses can be given...........

01-09-2010, 04:05 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Can you give us the exif (focal length, shutter, aperture, iso and the shooting mode) of those shots you took and found the kit lens to be not fast enough, so appropriate advice on lenses can be given...........
Since these were literally the first pictures taken, I ran it on full auto and then fast moving objects when I noticed the blur, primarily with hands.

Here's one example 30mm, 1/4, f4.0, ISO 1600.

As for my proximity to the band, I'm still not 100%. I generally get pretty close when I see them, because I simply love this band (Delta Spirit, check them out, you won't regret it). The max distance from the stage is about 30 feet at this place.

There's still a chance I will be filming this since I am somewhat mates with the band and my creative partner and myself came up with a great idea for a series of sketches revolving around the upcoming Northeast tour, but I don't have personal contacts to see if they'd be game for it, so I had to try my luck through the label which of course yielded no results.

Also, what's a fair price on the 77mm? The cheapest I've found for it brand new is 800 with the next closest at 1000. Needless to say, I've been keeping a firm eye on ebay for something lower.

Thanks everyone!
01-09-2010, 04:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I bought my 77mm before the price hike and it was a used version. I don't know what the prices should be for them now.

However, if you are looking for the widest aperture for the lowest price, the FA 50mm 1.4 can't be beat. It's truly a gem of a lens. The limiteds are unsurpased when it comes to IQ, but they really break the bank.

IMO if you're right up at the stage, maybe the 50mm range isn't such a bad idea.
01-09-2010, 06:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Dang! that is one dark room for f4, iso1600 and only a shutter of 1/4th. I am sure you need a much higher shutter to freeze a band action. You certainly need a faster lens for such, but I would definitely boost the iso to 6400 in the k-x as it is capable of getting great results at that iso. You have an excellent camera with the K-x for such shoots, none better in APS-C.

FYI: but not necessary......If you are new to Pentax, you may want to get familiar with TAv mode where you can set the desired shutter and aperture and the camera will choose the iso, and you can set the limit to iso6400.

The FA77 1.8 is a great lens, and you should be able to get incredible shots with it. If you are not looking for ultimate IQ, but decent performance and don't mind manual focus, you have the Vivitar/Bower/Samyang 85mm f1.4 lens as well. If you will be closer and want quality like the FA limiteds, then you have the Pentax DA55/1.4 SDM, Sigma 50/1.4HSM (both with the silent focus motor) and slightly less IQ with pentax FA 50/1.4.

Have fun....

P.S: forgot the amazing Voigtlander Nokton 58/1.4 manual focus lens.

Last edited by pcarfan; 01-09-2010 at 06:47 PM.