Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2007, 08:57 AM   #1

lens advice for a novice

Hi,
I'm pretty new to photography and this is my first post on this forum - so please be gentle! I just got a new K100D with the kit lens - anyone could give me an opinion on the SMC Pentax-A 80-200mm F4.7-5.6 lens? (I could get it for about $60) or should I go for the new SMC PDA 50-200 f4-5.6 ED?
Thanks

06-21-2007, 09:16 AM   #2
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by radragan Quote
Hi,
I'm pretty new to photography and this is my first post on this forum - so please be gentle! I just got a new K100D with the kit lens - anyone could give me an opinion on the SMC Pentax-A 80-200mm F4.7-5.6 lens? (I could get it for about $60) or should I go for the new SMC PDA 50-200 f4-5.6 ED?
Thanks
welcome!

The DA zoom seems to get a lot of good remarks around the forums, especially considering the price, I have seen lots of good photos from it too, so I can vouch for that one especially at the price point, as for the A lens I dont know but there is a great site where u can check comments about old lenses>

Stan's Pentax Photography

And so here are the comments about the SMC Pentax-A 80-200mm F4.7-5.6 from that site:

Douglas J Stemke - I've grown to really like this lens. . . I've taken really lovely photos . . . blown up from a slide to 8X12 inches and it still retains great sharpness. . .

Ralf Engelmann - . . . a compact and affordable standard telezoom. . . . it's the most convincing offer in the Pentax telezoom range. . . does more than one would expect from the price and size. Optical quality is o.k., mechanical quality is pretty good and I like the internal zooming feature.

Douglas J Stemke - . . . I use it quite a lot. It is very light and although it 'appears' to not be the best lens in the world (all that plastic anyway), I've grown to really like this lens. You're right; it is slow. But I've taken really lovely photos with it. . . . I took some knockout head/shoulders photos of a Golden Eagle with it . . . which I've blown up from a slide to 8X12 inches and it still retains great sharpness.

- - - - - -

Ralf Engelmann -I own one since two years, and I bought it . . . as a compact and affordable standard telezoom. . . . it's the most convincing offer in the Pentax telezoom range, since it does more than one would expect from the price and size. Optical quality is o.k., mechanical quality is pretty good and I like the internal zooming feature. Centering and the (non-)wobble is much better than on the powerzoom constructions. I use it much more than I thought, and in combination with a short prime tele like e.g. the FA 2.8/135, you get a tele lens pair suiting all needs and costing less money (and weight/space in your bag) than the 2.8/80-200 kind of zooms.
06-21-2007, 09:29 AM   #3
roy
Inactive Account

radragan,
IMHO the A70-210 f4 would be the better choice and a better lens. it's bigger and heavier but the constant f4 is real nice. also, i doubt you can find a sharper, more contrasty lens in the same range for under 500usd. anyone that has used this lens will say the same. it's superb. usually around 100usd delivered from ebay. prices are going up tho.
06-21-2007, 10:55 AM   #4

Original Poster
thanks guys, I checked the link and l think I'll follow Roy's advice and try to get the 70-210
radragan

06-21-2007, 02:33 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Just in case you didn't know, the 80-200 and 70-210 are both manual focus lenses.
06-21-2007, 04:56 PM   #6
roy
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by radragan Quote
thanks guys, I checked the link and l think I'll follow Roy's advice and try to get the 70-210
radragan
i've seen this lens go for over 210usd. don't go there.. they are offered all time. be sure to ask the seller about clear and fungus/haze free glass. also , start working the biceps, hehe. i really love this lens at the Zoo. it's stellar..
06-21-2007, 09:08 PM   #7

just gotta love the A 70-210.
But if you're just new to this whole dslr thing and are not coming from an slr background I'd probably start out with the DA 50-200 and put the 70-210 on your LBA list 'cause it has nothing to do with want, it has everything to do with need.
06-25-2007, 06:15 AM   #8

Original Poster
sorry for the delayed reply - been tied up on a few other things
igowerf and jnorth - thanks, I know they're manual, I've done some film slr in the past
roy - I realy appreciate your help - I tried to get a 70-210 on ebay and bailed out at 145 (it went for 146.50); the lens was a SMCA, and according to the seller clear and in perfect condition
Radragan