Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2012, 07:58 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
It's important to keep in mind that the differences we are talking about between lenses are pretty minimal, really - 99% of the difference between a good picture and bad one is technique, not quality of lens. I personally wouldn't be spending hundreds of dollar just for whatever marginally better IQ you could get from another lens.
Hi Marc.

Boy I dunno... in my experience, there can be huge differences in IQ between lenses. I've had some lenses that were just total dogs. Lousy contrast, dull color, blurry focus, lots of PF... You couldn't get a good photo out of them on the brightest day, even with the camera mounted to a tripod. Swap it out for a better lens of the same focal length, and 'BINGO!', instant and big improvement.

Technique's the main thing, but some lenses are just crap.

Cheers,
Bobbo :-)

11-02-2012, 09:28 AM   #47
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
in my experience, there can be huge differences in IQ between lenses
I'll have to agree with you on that one Bobbo. I have a Ricoh Rikenon m 50mm f2 that no matter what I do, it just isn't any good. And I have a Pentax M 50mm f2. that is awesome.
11-02-2012, 09:30 AM   #48
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
That Tamron I was looking at yesterday, didn't even have reviews on our database here. But the Quantaray has/had 19 reviews, all mostly good things, so that's why I bought it. I still can't afford to pay 100s of dollars for lenses. And today, they say bad things come in threes, well the Sigma broke, and now my car is broke, I can't think what might happen next.
11-02-2012, 11:15 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I have a Pentax M 50mm f2. that is awesome.
If you think the 50/2 is good, you should try the 1.7 or 1.4.

I was going to suggest the Tamron 23A 60-300mm manual focus adaptall zoom, but then I saw you already ordered one. It's cheap, and a stellar performer. So sharp it'd cut your eyeballs. Plus, it has a really useful true macro mode. Very similar in image quality to the Pentax DA 55-300, but manual focus.

Cheers,
Bobbo :-)

11-02-2012, 01:41 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just for the record, I bought the Sigma several years ago and got so disgusted I sold it and bought the Tamron. Have been happy ever since. I don't have CA problems and have posted images on here to prove it. By the same token I bought a used Sigma 135-400 APO, which everyone seems to disdain and it performs flawlessly. Go figure.