Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2007, 01:15 PM   #1
Forum Member

70mm Heads-Up Match

DA 70mm F2.4 Limited vs Sigma 70mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro.
I am done with the obvious comparison - price, size, weight, aperture, macro. Looking to see the difference based on IQ, corner sharpness, contrast, and CA, I tried to search for one but I cant find it.

06-21-2007, 01:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

As I understand it the Sigma 70mm macro is a really great lens. That is from reviews and pictures from the Net and owner testimonials.
It's obviously bigger, heavier and also focusing slower than the DA70. But in all other areas...
Photozone has tested it with a Canon 350:
Sigma AF 70mm f/2.8 EX DG macro (Canon) - Photozone Review / Test Report
There are probably other reviews out there also.

good luck glitch,
06-21-2007, 03:28 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
The real question is which one will help you take better photos.

For me, having gotten used to the "quick shift" focus system of DA lenses, I recently bought the excellent (from an IQ point of view) 35mm f2... but without the "quick shift" focus feature I find it harder to get a good photo... to the extent that I'm debating whether to keep it or not.

Of course, "quick shift" is something I find important - for you it might be something else. But look for the think that makes you happy using it, makes it easier for you to use, makes it easier to take great photos.

Optically, they're probably both awesome surely??!?

Then there's the fact that f2.4 is faster (more opportunities), faster to focus (more opportunities), easier to override the AF (easier to get a good shot) and lighter (you are more likely to want to take it with you).

Unless it's signifigantly crappier than the Sigma, I know what I would do!