Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2007, 01:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Auto SR on non-Pentax lenses?

I just got mt first non-Pentax AF lens (Tamron AF18-250 DiII) for use on the K10D.
Will the K10D body read the focal length(s) when using this lens and set the SR automatically, or does the focal length have to be manually input as for a manual focus lens? I assume that the Pentax lenses are chipped (or whatever) so that the body reads the info, but don't know if lens from other mfgs will work the same way.

06-21-2007, 07:22 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The SR is based on the focal length info from the lens. The K10D reads the focal length from your lens correctly so all should be in order. No need to enter any information manually.
06-26-2007, 06:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PeterAM Quote
I just got mt first non-Pentax AF lens (Tamron AF18-250 DiII) for use on the K10D.
Will the K10D body read the focal length(s) when using this lens and set the SR automatically, or does the focal length have to be manually input as for a manual focus lens? I assume that the Pentax lenses are chipped (or whatever) so that the body reads the info, but don't know if lens from other mfgs will work the same way.
Pretty much should be auto for any modern KAF/KAF2 lens (of which any of the digital series AF lenses from all third-party manufacturers are).

I know it works with my family's first-gen Sigma 28-200.

Pretty much if you don't get a prompt for the FL when you turn on the camera with the lens attached, it's getting the FL from the lens. If you want to be sure, take some pictures, note the FL they were taken at, and check the EXIF data of the files saved.