Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2010, 10:52 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax or Sigma Wide Zoom

I've been assuming I'd stay with all Pentax lenses, but recently have been reading about Sigma EX lenses and they look like great alternatives in many cases.

I think my next lens will be a wide zoom and have been considering the Pentax 12-24, but now am reading about the Sigma 10-20.

I'm pretty sure this comparison has been discussed a lot so if there is a thread I should be reading I'll be happily re-directed.

Aside from their slightly different focal lengths, I'm not reading about a significant advantage of the Pentax over the Sigma, and visa versa. Might this comparison be pretty close?

Thanks.

01-10-2010, 11:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Biff Quote
I've been assuming I'd stay with all Pentax lenses, but recently have been reading about Sigma EX lenses and they look like great alternatives in many cases.

I think my next lens will be a wide zoom and have been considering the Pentax 12-24, but now am reading about the Sigma 10-20.

I'm pretty sure this comparison has been discussed a lot so if there is a thread I should be reading I'll be happily re-directed.

Aside from their slightly different focal lengths, I'm not reading about a significant advantage of the Pentax over the Sigma, and visa versa. Might this comparison be pretty close?

Thanks.
if you have the cash, get the 12-24. if not, the 10-20 is a good alternative. that explains it all.
01-11-2010, 08:04 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Great, thanks. I'll save a little longer first. Got a little cash for Christmas to start towards it.
01-11-2010, 11:44 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They are different lenses to be sure, but the resulting image quality seems to be about equal. Other than that, the Pentax will retain a higher resale value (especially here), and goes to 24mm, while the (current) Sigma is faster (constant f/3.5) and starts at 10mm instead of 12.

Apparently both are sharp from their starting apertures, and have very little distortion, so fit the bill nicely. Choose your poison!

That said, right now you can still pick up an older Sigma 10-20 (the variable max aperture version) for even less than either the Pentax or the new 3.5 Sigma brand new.

And here is a nice comparison between the two Sigma models (and others unavailable for Pentax):

Juza Nature Photography

Brand doesn't have that much of an impact to me, but quality (image and build) do. I already chose a Sigma over the Pentax in the 17-70 zoom category for that reason. Overall, Pentax makes better lenses than most, but not always.

Last edited by panoguy; 01-11-2010 at 11:50 AM.
01-12-2010, 10:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
panoguy: Brand doesn't have that much of an impact to me, but quality (image and build) do. I already chose a Sigma over the Pentax in the 17-70 zoom category for that reason. Overall, Pentax makes better lenses than most, but not always.

Yes, a reasonable and sound statement. OP, if you have not already visited the images of the Sigma here https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/84539-sigma-10-20mm-club.html you probably want to. Make sure you look at plenty form the Da 12-24 too. Then make a choice.
01-12-2010, 10:55 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is one of those rare situations where you can't make a bad choice--enjoy it ;~)