Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2010, 10:25 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
surprised I noone suggested the 28mm shift. Now, I'll be sorry I said anything. ...don't need any more eBay'ers outbidding me... :ugh:
There's a 28mm shift on eBay...?

...gotta go...

Steve

01-13-2010, 07:57 AM   #17

Interesting discussion. I do not think you can find any lens that is significantly better than the 35mm Ltd. You wouldn't see much improvement in print quality. I've been struggling with BW conversion as well. I get the best result, when changing the tonal values of different color channels (creating a BW Lens in Corel) and the playing around with the levels. All the plugins and presets are not good enough.

Yet, I still find that the digital BW is often not that nice. Especially the darkest areas look unnaturally blotchy. I guess that the dynamic range of the sensor plays a major role here. The photo looks good on the screen, but not when enlarged for printing. Hence why I still keep going back for medium format film...
01-13-2010, 09:23 AM   #18

what's wrong with the 21 limited?
i like this lense especially "for Street-Fotos" - it is small und light
the 43 and up are more usefull for closer details

01-13-2010, 09:45 AM   #19
Site Supporter

I don't think them main issue here really lies with the lenses. It is b & w photography, specifically digital b & w photography. Remember that to get certain results, certain colored filters can be used whether film or digital. Perhaps you should try that approach before buying some expensive lenses here. I have both the DA 35 and DA 21 and have no issues with them, however, I haven't really tried b & w with them yet.

Edit: Perhaps get a tak or two and play with them in b & w shooting as well.