Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-12-2010, 06:37 PM   #151
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
From what I see in these examples, the rating of "10" in the lens summary of this forum need to be redefined. From now on, a 10 for other lenses (Limiteds included) is really barely a 9 IMHO. Let's hope the DFA 100 MACRO WR is confirmation that more good things are in the product pipeline. It certainly ups my expectations.

Great work everyone!

Cheers...
The DFA100WR is indeed one of the better lenses I've ever had, and I've had quite a lot good lenses Comparing w/ the previous version, it's not just some changes on the aperture blades or WR, it feels just right when held in hand. When taking a photo at certain distance, the bokeh is still quite pleasing, very good for portrait work:

07-12-2010, 07:46 PM   #152
Veteran Member

Aha Frank, a pretty model makes every lens good.
Well like you I had the previous non-WR version of the DFA 100mm and the new WR is just sooooo much better.
07-12-2010, 07:58 PM   #153
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Well like you I had the previous non-WR version of the DFA 100mm and the new WR is just sooooo much better.
That's so true, no models beat these two

These were taken w/ a Super Program and DFA100WR on Reala 100 film.
07-13-2010, 01:18 AM   #154

Perfect lens! I managed some good macro shots with it.

07-13-2010, 04:37 AM   #155
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
They're the same lens formula, same coatings. The only difference is that the new version has rounded blades and can be used in the rain. The only IQ difference I've seen is the round bokeh lights. What else could there be?

I've always thought, and still believe that the D FA 100mm is highly underrated. First by people with the Tamron 90mm and now by people with the WR version trying to justify their purchase. No offence, but I think the statement above is highly exaggerated.
07-13-2010, 06:08 AM   #156
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
They're the same lens formula, same coatings. The only difference is that the new version has rounded blades and can be used in the rain. The only IQ difference I've seen is the round bokeh lights. What else could there be?

I've always thought, and still believe that the D FA 100mm is highly underrated. First by people with the Tamron 90mm and now by people with the WR version trying to justify their purchase. No offence, but I think the statement above is highly exaggerated.
I agree that the D FA 100mm is underrated. However, that doesn't make the statement that the new WR version is so much better untrue. I've used both and while they may be the same optically, the WR version is (IMO) far superior in terms of build quality and feel (including manual focusing). Is it worth the price difference between the older version and the new WR version? To some people yes, to others perhaps not. I just think that it's fair to say the WR version is better (identical optics aside) than the non-WR version, having used both.
07-17-2010, 10:53 AM   #157
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's kind of annoying that after all my excitement when I ordered mine, it arrives in my city on a Saturday morning. I am probably within several kilometers of my lens right now, and I can't get it until Monday. ):

07-17-2010, 11:55 AM   #158
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jaieger Quote
It's kind of annoying that after all my excitement when I ordered mine, it arrives in my city on a Saturday morning. I am probably within several kilometers of my lens right now, and I can't get it until Monday. ):

So you did decide on the 100WR! (I was following your thread where you were debating lens choices) Well, wrong choice.....................................kidding! It's an excellent choice and I think you're going to love it.
07-17-2010, 01:19 PM   #159
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
So you did decide on the 100WR! (I was following your thread where you were debating lens choices) Well, wrong choice.....................................kidding! It's an excellent choice and I think you're going to love it.

Haha yep! I figured I might as well post it here and sort of pre-join the club and get in on the discussion of an ongoing thread than kill off the last one.. Very excited to get it, if only UPS worked on the weekend!
07-17-2010, 10:14 PM   #160
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by trco Quote
Perfect lens! I managed some good macro shots with it.

Excellent!
07-17-2010, 10:16 PM   #161
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Congrats on the new lens. I'm sure you'd love it.
07-19-2010, 04:46 PM   #162
Veteran Member

It's just arrived! First impressions are: AWESOME. The pics are amazing, great colours and bokeh and the whole 9 yards. Took a pic or two real quick in my front yard, don't have time to do a whole lot today but here's a quick sample from a 30 second shoot, cropped in Paint cause I'm too lazy to wait for PS to open up. I did take note though that the AF does kind of hunt noticeably at times, which was remedied by just AFing something easy for the motor t o decide on and then quickshifting, or just switching to MF (speaking of which, I read somewhere about a custom setting on the K-x that lets me set the okay button to cancel/initiate AF - can anyone help me find it? I looked in the manual and through all the settings and can't find it).
Attached Images

07-20-2010, 10:34 PM   #163
Veteran Member

Hmm. Just went out for a walk with this lens, and I don't know if it's just cuase I'm not used to macro / this focal length, but a significant amount of my pictures were OOF and unusable (at least 50-60% - the ones that came out, came out great. but this is still a huge rate of OOF). The AF is quite annoying at times and hunts a lot/slowly, and makes it difficult to get a good focus on small things, esp if they're moving (but even if they're not, as well). And switching to manual is quite difficult too, because with every little twitch, it's OOF again and I have to either adjust it or try to get back to the same exact position I was in before. TBH, this is a bit discouraging and I'm toying with the idea of refunding it and choosing a different lens..while the optics are great, it's quite difficult to use for me, particularly getting a good focused shot. Any suggestion?
07-20-2010, 11:09 PM   #164

Hmm. Just went out for a walk with this lens, and I don't know if it's just cuase I'm not used to macro / this focal length, but a significant amount of my pictures were OOF and unusable (at least 50-60% - the ones that came out, came out great. but this is still a huge rate of OOF). The AF is quite annoying at times and hunts a lot/slowly, and makes it difficult to get a good focus on small things, esp if they're moving (but even if they're not, as well). And switching to manual is quite difficult too, because with every little twitch, it's OOF again and I have to either adjust it or try to get back to the same exact position I was in before. TBH, this is a bit discouraging and I'm toying with the idea of refunding it and choosing a different lens..while the optics are great, it's quite difficult to use for me, particularly getting a good focused shot. Any suggestion?
If you are new to macro then your keepers rate is quite high This is normal, because DOF is shallow and you are close to 1:1 ratio - slight movement of subject or your camera can get you OOF image. Try this tehnique - set you camera to MF and set focus in advance. Then try to catch subject in focus with rocking of your body forward and backward. I rarely use AF with macrosubjects - camera can catch focus excellent but if you move the camera for one milimeter the picture can be OOF. Another tehnique - try tripod

Oh yeah and you get the same problems with all of the macro lenses - so choosing a different lens won't get you all of the pictures in focus

Last edited by trco; 07-20-2010 at 11:19 PM.
07-20-2010, 11:26 PM   #165
Veteran Member

Hmm, okay. well that's encouraging at least. Even in MF though, it does get a bit tough to focus; sometimes the difference between, say, an insect on a leaf, and the leaf itself is so slight (depending on my angle to it/etc.) that it's hard for me to tell in the viewfinder which is in focus. And MF is quite difficult when ants are scampering all over the leaf :P but yeah, I guess I should just practice more with it. I did try the rocking back and forth thing a bit, I guess I just have to develop a steadier hand with it.