Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2010, 04:30 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
[Macro] Takumar modular 2+:1 Macro (200mm+55mm/28mm)

Recently I got into a LBA and bought myself a couple of takumar including the 200 f/4, 55 f/1.8, and 28 f/3.5. The 55mm had some fungus so i got it in quarantine and far away from any other lens, but today i received the 200mm with the metal screw hood for it. And I saw that it may be able to fit the 55mm inside.

I tried and it fitted perfectly through the end of the hood without going too deep. So I gave it a try and fitted it with some bubble-wrap that came with the lens. i put the hood on and the 55mm reversed inside it.

Turns out it works perfectly. Not only that but you can also focus about 2cm in a long throw with the 200mm to do selective focusing, perfect for focus stacking.

Excited i tried the 28mm and also fits nicely but is horribly dark. It may be dark, but the magnification goes to almost 3.5:1.

With both the 55mm and the 28mm i got a working space of about 3cm, and the lenses are still inside the hood for "some protection". I suppose that this can be repeated with some 49mm and 52mm threaded lenses, havent tried any others.

Will post some photos later.

01-12-2010, 04:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very cool...I've never thought of trying it without a reversing adapter.... looking forwrad to seeing some pics.
01-12-2010, 08:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

summonbaka! Thank you so much for sharing; wonderful idea!
01-12-2010, 10:32 AM   #4

Pics please.

01-13-2010, 04:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Looking forward to the pics.

I have been playing lately with extension tubes ... and the 200/f and 28/3.5 as well.
I just received my 49 reversing ring in the mail today .... so will be shooting around with more of my lenses now as well. Looking forward to the results.

So far though ... here's what I have come up with.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/85192-macro-macro-without-macro-lens.html
01-13-2010, 11:25 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by summonbaka Quote
Recently I got into a LBA and bought myself a couple of takumar including the 200 f/4, 55 f/1.8, and 28 f/3.5. The 55mm had some fungus so i got it in quarantine and far away from any other lens, but today i received the 200mm with the metal screw hood for it. And I saw that it may be able to fit the 55mm inside.

I tried and it fitted perfectly through the end of the hood without going too deep. So I gave it a try and fitted it with some bubble-wrap that came with the lens. i put the hood on and the 55mm reversed inside it.

Turns out it works perfectly. Not only that but you can also focus about 2cm in a long throw with the 200mm to do selective focusing, perfect for focus stacking.

Excited i tried the 28mm and also fits nicely but is horribly dark. It may be dark, but the magnification goes to almost 3.5:1.

With both the 55mm and the 28mm i got a working space of about 3cm, and the lenses are still inside the hood for "some protection". I suppose that this can be repeated with some 49mm and 52mm threaded lenses, havent tried any others.

Will post some photos later.
QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
Very cool...I've never thought of trying it without a reversing adapter.... looking forwrad to seeing some pics.
QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
Looking forward to the pics.

I have been playing lately with extension tubes ... and the 200/f and 28/3.5 as well.
I just received my 49 reversing ring in the mail today .... so will be shooting around with more of my lenses now as well. Looking forward to the results.

So far though ... here's what I have come up with.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/85192-macro-macro-without-macro-lens.html

Sorry for keeping you waiting, here are the pics.

The three lenses used for the first tryouts.

The lens inserted on the hood, backwards.

The lenses ready for using

Some rulers, ISO800, wide open(both):

And lastly, the A in Asahi. from the bottom edges there are 5mm:

More pictures here:
PentaxForums.com - summonbaka's Album: [Macro] Takumar modular 2+:1 Macro (200mm+55mm/28mm)
01-13-2010, 11:57 AM   #7

Original Poster
About the focusing. As you saw with the ruler, the magnification lowers as the focus is brought to infinity. I suppose this is due to the lens being closer to the sensor plate? BUT the focus is really smooth and you can almost spare the use of a focusing rail if you find enough support for the set. The lenses weight around 1kg together. I find that my tripod is even worse than handheld. But I support it now completely on the table for taking pictures. Since it's winter i cant find anything to take pics of and i don't want to have those metal lenses in contact with my hands in this cold (I may cover the focus ring with cloth so i can use it). Needless to say even with all that this is a great macro set, at a fraction of the cost, readily available, easily replaceable (scratching a fungus ridden lens doesn't hurt that much), and could be used with other brands if so wanted since it's M42 mount). So it's a really versatile set. I'm eager to try it in better conditions.

Looking forward for your comments.