Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2010, 11:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Replacing F series focus ring

I have an F 50/1.7 that is missing its focus ring. Other than appearance, it doesn't affect anything but comfort when trying to manually focus as I can still focus by grasping the spots where the plastic focus ring would snap into. While I normally use MF lenses when I want to manually focus, I'd like to repair this by about finding a replacement focus ring. Has anyone tried this or have any suggestions?

I've thought about finding and sacrificing a cheap Takumar-F zoom or an inoperable F lens (if I could find one), but I don't know how hard it would be to remove the focus ring without breaking it. I also wonder if I couldn't find a replacing mart directly from Pentax?

01-12-2010, 11:39 AM   #2
Site Supporter

I think the Takumar F zooms all have a larger diameter on the focus ring, but I could be wrong.
01-12-2010, 02:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Steve, I thought that might be a possibility, too. I am just beginning to think about this, so I haven't yet done all my research on finding an appropriate donor.
01-12-2010, 02:53 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
I think the Takumar F zooms all have a larger diameter on the focus ring, but I could be wrong.
I have some leftover parts from a Takumar-F 70-200mm f4-5.6 zoom here. On that one, the focus ring was too big for the F50/1.7 by maybe 3mm.

01-12-2010, 04:09 PM   #5
Pentaxian

If it's just a matter of comfort, you could simply find a rubber o-ring with the right size, and glue it in place.
01-12-2010, 07:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I have some leftover parts from a Takumar-F 70-200mm f4-5.6 zoom here. On that one, the focus ring was too big for the F50/1.7 by maybe 3mm.
Thanks, Dave. I'll have to find another lens as a donor, probably not a zoom--which will make it tough. Do you have any idea how easy it would be to remove the focus ring on the F lenses?

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
If it's just a matter of comfort, you could simply find a rubber o-ring with the right size, and glue it in place.
It's more than that, I'd like to "restore" the lens to full functionality and cosmetics if possible. The o-ring is a idea for a stop-gap for the time being, though.

Does anyone know how to find out if Pentax has any replacement parts for this lens?
01-12-2010, 08:39 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by indytax Quote
Thanks, Dave. I'll have to find another lens as a donor, probably not a zoom--which will make it tough. Do you have any idea how easy it would be to remove the focus ring on the F lenses?
I have done this but have no memory of how it works. It looks like it just pops off with a screwdriver or something, but I have a vague impression that it's tricky. Sorry, not very helpful.