Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2010, 09:19 AM   #1

One lens down and I need help

I am working in Liberia, I had a Tamron 28-200 lens. Well it started to get hair line cracks. I have been taking care of it and don't understand it. Thankfully I had an insurance policy on my equipment.

My question is I am in W. Africa and have been for months. I really hate shopping over the net and can't find something I want. I need to get something in the next two weeks for someone to bring it to me.

I am wondering can someone recommend a lens and where to buy

I tend to shoot between 28-80,90
I am trying to get something fast, light is hard to come by here
I like to have the range of the 200 because some times I have to take a shot from a distance with no one knowing

I thought about just replacing it with a current Tamron, but people don't seem to like it

Any one, please help me, I need advice

01-13-2010, 09:39 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
fast and light? some how this is an oximoron because the two gererally are incompatable

If you generally stay between 28 and 90 mm then go for a tamron 28-75 F2.8 fast, relitively compact and light.

I know it leaves you a little short to the 90mm end but for 15mm you can afford to crop your shots a little.

I don;t know what to say about the 200mm end, personally, my kit has the 28-75 and a sigma 70-200F2.8

Very fast byt heavy
01-13-2010, 09:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was going to say the Sigma 24 - 70 f2.8, although Lowell is right... it's Heavy, and even uses 82mm filters making it a real monster.
However, if you can find a Sigma 28 - 70 f2.8 it's another good choice. Lighter, and still a quality lens. Although some people say it's soft The one I tried wasn't.
01-13-2010, 10:00 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I was going to say the Sigma 24 - 70 f2.8, although Lowell is right... it's Heavy, and even uses 82mm filters making it a real monster.
However, if you can find a Sigma 28 - 70 f2.8 it's another good choice. Lighter, and still a quality lens. Although some people say it's soft The one I tried wasn't.
I agree, really anything in that range, but the tamron is pretty small with 67 mm filters,

filters was why I bought the tamron. I had already 2 other lenses that use 67mm filters, (I now have 3) so to get things like graduated ND and polarizing for a newer bigger lens was a big cost driver remember you have a system, lenses alone do not determine the total cost.

01-14-2010, 04:51 AM   #5

Original Poster
THANKYOU for your thoughts,

I had thought a little bit about the lenses you mentioned, they are good choices
The issue is I want to spend just a little less than that or find a good used one

anyone have a recommendationís similar between 2-300$? or have used one?
01-14-2010, 04:58 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by liberiabound Quote
THANKYOU for your thoughts,

I had thought a little bit about the lenses you mentioned, they are good choices
The issue is I want to spend just a little less than that or find a good used one

anyone have a recommendationís similar between 2-300$? or have used one?
You can try KEH (www.KEH.com) they occasionally have the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 for sale used. That's where I got my copy and they do ship overseas. IIRC I spent around $350 for it, some of the best lens money I've ever spent.

NaCl(and KEH is a very reputable company)H2O