Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2010, 09:38 AM   #1

Rattling Pentax A 28mm F2.8

Hi All,

I've just bought an A 28mm F2.8 from ebay and when it arrive it was rattling. I tracked the sound to the front element which was able to rotate in the housing. When I rotated it clockwise however, it seemed to tighted as if on a screw thread.

I have no knowledge of the way these lenses are put together. Can anyone who owns this lens or has a knowledge of their construction tell me if this is normal?

Many thanks in advance.

Great forum by the way - I'm new here!

01-13-2010, 10:51 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum.
I have a SMC-A 28mm f2.8 also and if it had rattled when I bought it a return would have followed. But I just tried to duplicate what you described and it was pretty easy. Just using the edge of my fingernails on the metal rim of the front element it does loosen/tighten up. Never tried to loosen it before but now I know. So that makes two of us anyway. My lens is very sharp also so it does not seem to be a problem. In fact, maybe its a way to de-dust inside the first element without real disassembly.
01-13-2010, 11:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I used to have a A 28/2.8 and had the same issue until I just "screwed" the front element back in a little. Never was a problem after that. I almost returned mine too, initially, before I figured out what was wrong.
01-13-2010, 12:10 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had a loose A28/2.8 too. There are three lens elements in an aluminum carrier, forming a group in front of the aperture. The carrier is threaded, and screwed into the lens body. So screwing it back in should work. The loose part would normally move in and out when the lens is focused, so as long as it can't shift up and down any more, the lens should perform fine.

There is a beveled ring inside of the filter threads, threaded into the filter threads. If you can unscrew that, you should have a little more access to the group carrier to tighten it more.

01-13-2010, 01:45 PM   #5

Original Poster
That's awesome - thanks for the replies.

I can get out and try it properly now, safe it the knowledge it's not a duff!