Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2010, 02:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Zenitar 16mm question

I am looking to purchase a Zenitar 16mm for use on my dslr and film bodies. (Trying to max my dollars and enjoy the fisheye effect on film and wide-angle in digital)

Would I be best to purchase the lens with a screw mount and thus be able to use with my Pentax dslr, Pentax film body and Minolta body? (with appropriate K mount and MD mounts, of course) Or would it be best to buy a straight K mount Zenitar, and forego the Minolta mount? My understanding is that there should be no difference in functionality but I am unsure.

I am looking for any responses from anyone who has enjoyed the Zenitar 16 mm experience. Thanks in advance.

01-13-2010, 02:56 PM   #2
Pentaxian

It probably makes sense, but you will have to modify the lens slightly. The Zenitar's M42 mount expects a camera that can press its stop-down pin. The K-mount adapters don't presss this pin down - I don't know about Minolta. You have to modify the mount so the pin is always pressed. I haven't done it but I've read about it here.
01-13-2010, 03:24 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Dave is correct. The M42 version of the Zenitar 16/2.8 lacks a M/A switch. As a result, the lens is always wide open regardless of the aperture ring setting. The fix is relatively simple and reversible, but requires removal of the mount from the lens and shimming the aperture actuator pin with a short length of fine tubing (coffee straw, piece of wire insulation, or something similar). When done, the aperture will always be stopped down to the set value.

Steve
01-13-2010, 05:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
To Just1MoreDave and stevebrot,

Great stuff, something to think about. You can't find this kinda of info even in the fine print. I'm gonna check on the Minolta mount... we'll see. Much thanks for the input.

01-13-2010, 09:59 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jools Quote
To Just1MoreDave and stevebrot,

Great stuff, something to think about. You can't find this kinda of info even in the fine print. I'm gonna check on the Minolta mount... we'll see. Much thanks for the input.
You are very welcome!

This is also an issue with the Helios 44M-x models and has gotten quite a bit of discussion on threads (here and elsewhere) related to that lens.

Steve