Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2010, 08:58 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
the ideal 50mm and there are many varients are the F1.4. they come in Takumar, auto takumar, super takumar and SMC takumar varients at least.
So, how would the Auto-Takumar lens I posted fit on the K20D/K7? Adaptor? It looks to me that the lens mounted on the above-shown K200 has some kind of adapter on it. Would it be the same with this one?
I suppose I should have asked this question directly to Blue ... sorry, Blue.

I know how to use manual-only lenses with the cameras I own, but this type of lens is new to me, especially when I saw this funny looking lever on top.

JP

Last edited by jpzk; 01-14-2010 at 09:04 AM.
01-14-2010, 09:04 AM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
So, how would the Auto-Takumar lens I posted fit on the K20D/K7? Adaptor? It looks to me that the lens mounted on your K200 has some kind of adapter on it. Would it be the same with this one?
Sorry, but this is all new to me. Just asking.

JP
The comparisons of the 35mm f3.5 I posted are mounted via an authentic Pentax m42 adapter. It works the same way regardless of which m42 lens it is. The only difference is that with the Super Tak, S-M-C tak, and SMC tak, I set the A-M switch to M on the lens and operate it stop down style. With the aut-tak, I just don't cock the aperture. The preset Taks are kind of the coolest once you get the hang of them. The aperture is set, but there is a dial that lets you open the lens up for focusing and then you can close to the preset aperture.
01-14-2010, 01:01 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The comparisons of the 35mm f3.5 I posted are mounted via an authentic Pentax m42 adapter. It works the same way regardless of which m42 lens it is. The only difference is that with the Super Tak, S-M-C tak, and SMC tak, I set the A-M switch to M on the lens and operate it stop down style. With the aut-tak, I just don't cock the aperture. The preset Taks are kind of the coolest once you get the hang of them. The aperture is set, but there is a dial that lets you open the lens up for focusing and then you can close to the preset aperture.
I get it.
Thank you for the information. I suppose authentic Pentax M42 adapters are in high demand, therefore very pricey?
I would really like to get some "old glass" in that fashion, but I wonder what are the "bang-for-the-buck" criteria. I keep seeing some very great pics on several websites, taken with older M42 lenses and they sure rock!

JP
01-14-2010, 01:56 PM   #19
Site Supporter

I've got one of those Auto Tak 35mm F3.5 lenses. The trick is to not cock the aperture accidentally, otherwise you will need to remove the lens and press the release pin on the back to get it to stop down again. As long as you don't hit it, it will behave just like any other M42 lens in "M" mode.

It's only got 5 blades and I don't use it a lot, but when I do, I am pretty consistently surprised as how nice the results look. Despite that, I am a nut for lots of blades and it tends to not get used unless I'm in an "all M42" mood. My early preset silver/black Takukar 135mm has 8 blades so I tend to use that instead of my Super Tak 135m with only 6 blades... and I just had to buy my early Tak 300mm F4 that has 18 blades!

I also have a 55m F2 but I don't think I've ever even mounted it - it came with an old Spotmatic I found at a garage sale. I use the 55mm F1.8 instead.

01-14-2010, 02:43 PM   #20
Site Supporter

I get it.
Thank you for the information. I suppose authentic Pentax M42 adapters are in high demand, therefore very pricey?
I would really like to get some "old glass" in that fashion, but I wonder what are the "bang-for-the-buck" criteria. I keep seeing some very great pics on several websites, taken with older M42 lenses and they sure rock!

JP
Yeah, the used Pentax adapters seem to bring a high price. The best place in the U.S. to get them is usually at Pentax Imaging (Pentax USA). They seem to be out of stock at the moment. I hope that doesn't mean a price increase is coming. Maybe the Canadian counterpart has some.

PentaxWebstore Mount Adapter K(35m m Screwmount to Bayonet)
01-14-2010, 03:23 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Yeah, the used Pentax adapters seem to bring a high price. The best place in the U.S. to get them is usually at Pentax Imaging (Pentax USA). They seem to be out of stock at the moment. I hope that doesn't mean a price increase is coming. Maybe the Canadian counterpart has some.

PentaxWebstore Mount Adapter K(35m m Screwmount to Bayonet)
OK, I'll check on that. No use to get a M42 lens if there aren't any adapters available.
Thanks again for the info.
JP
01-14-2010, 05:21 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Original Poster
BLUE: Yeah, the used Pentax adapters seem to bring a high price. The best place in the U.S. to get them is usually at Pentax Imaging (Pentax USA). They seem to be out of stock at the moment. I hope that doesn't mean a price increase is coming. Maybe the Canadian counterpart has some.

OK, I'll check on that. No use to get a M42 lens if there aren't any adapters available.
Thanks again for the info.
JP

Blue: So yes you're right, it is out of stock. There is a space where you can ask for an email warning when it is back in stock, which I did.

Nothing on eBay either ... except some obscure brands which I wouldn't really trust.

JP