Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2010, 06:00 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For someone wanting 1000 mm, one "cheaper" option is to get an actual telescope. For about 1,2k, you can get a 1000 mm f4 telescope with stellar (no pun) performances. That's something to consider...

01-14-2010, 08:51 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I rode in one of these.

it looks like an M4 although a bit different and with a small armament.
This is a Stuart (M3 & M5) which was smaller than the Sherman. This puppy weighed in at a mere 20,000 to 32,000 pounds and a 4 man crew. The M3 version of the Stuart at radial aircraft engines that took high octane fuel while the M5 version had twin Cadillac engines. The Brittish and Russians didn't do well with the one provided to them due to the tactics they used. When General Patton took over the American forces following the debacle at the Kasserine Pass, he showed them how it was done!
01-14-2010, 08:57 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the comments. No pictures yet. It's dreary and raining here today and tomorrow. I'll get it out soon if there's a break in the weather.

Just a few comments on the lens so far. The info at Boljidar's place is accurate (as it always is). The lens weighs in at 5.3 kg, or a little over 11.5 lbs. It's front-heavy from where the tripod mount is. I think it's adjustable, but I haven't played with it much yet. I bought a gimbal mount from Adorama to go along with it, and it seems like it will work well. The shipping weight for the entire package was 28 lbs. and there's very little of that weight tied up in boxes. The case is pretty substantial, and this one looks like it's seen plenty of use. Since the lens is over 30 years old, I wonder where it's been and what it's shot. Could make an interesting story.

Anyway, I'll post some shots as soon as I have time to get out and use it.

Okay, I took a few quick snaps at lunch in the gray, rainy weather. Had to bump up the contrast in PP, and there's some fringing that I need to take care of. However, I'm pleased so far.

Here's the lens with K20D on tripod:

Here's the scene in my backyard at 18mm. I'm shooting the street light visible above my neighbor's roof.

Here's the light at 250mm:

Here's the light at 1000mm, f/8:

Just for fun, here's my Olympus E-P1 camera next to the lens cap of the 1000mm. I think the camera would actually fit inside the lens cap.

Last edited by rfortson; 01-14-2010 at 03:05 PM.
01-14-2010, 03:05 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
pictures added above

01-14-2010, 03:53 PM   #20
Veteran Member

well done nice results! smc colors; looks like a Tak
01-15-2010, 02:41 PM   #21

Is that the K mount version? Cool. I have the M42.

I'd love to see some bright light photos with high contrast, maybe sunlight glinting off a boat ral or something. The TeleTakumar will purple fringe pretty heavily in that condition. Otherwise, a beautiful image.
01-15-2010, 02:43 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
please dont shoot me !
Please don't hit me, you mean!

01-15-2010, 03:14 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Lots of longitudinal CA on the 1000/8, but other than that, the IQ is actually really impressive. Great colors, very smooth gradations, no harsh flare, nice bokeh, and good sharpness.

Please, please, do NOT make me want this lens. I have no means to shoot with it!
01-15-2010, 04:02 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wallyb Quote
Lots of longitudinal CA on the 1000/8, but other than that, the IQ is actually really impressive. Great colors, very smooth gradations, no harsh flare, nice bokeh, and good sharpness.

Please, please, do NOT make me want this lens. I have no means to shoot with it!
Yeah, one thing I've learned with these older telephoto lenses is that exposure is critical. I had the SMC 300 f/4 and really liked, but I would occasionally get neon fringing, it was almost comical. However, usually the shots were outstanding.

It's raining even harder today and supposed to continue tomorrow, so I can't wait for some good weather to get this thing out and give it a try in decent light. Maybe Sunday.