Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2010, 08:05 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is an expensive lens -- not the sort of thing that you are going to buy on a whim. At the same time, it is a significantly different lens from the Canon 70-200 f4 -- added range on both ends. The hard part is that it overlaps with the 50-135, so you have to ask yourself if you really need both. The 50-135 is a stop faster and a smaller lens and awfully sharp as well, so for now, I have decided to get buy with it, but if I inherit a small fortune, I would probably get the 60-250. Sample photos sure look good.

01-15-2010, 08:17 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm sure the optics are very good but this lens makes no sense to me and apparently I'm not alone. The Sigma & Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 strike me as superior options.
01-15-2010, 04:58 PM   #18
Inactive Account

I am very pleased with mine. Not quite the IQ of the DA*300, but that is to be expected, but this is made up for by the versatility. Nice one Pentax.
01-15-2010, 07:12 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I'm sure the optics are very good but this lens makes no sense to me and apparently I'm not alone. The Sigma & Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 strike me as superior options.
They may make sense to some, they may make less sense to people who don't use third party glass for whatever reason they choose.

For me, the 60-250 is actually a very good focal length. It starts out at the short end, just a little wider than where my primes run out, and it leaves off just a little short of my F*300/4.5.
There are a few things I don't like, I would prefer if it didn't trombone for example, and though I would really like it to be a stop faster, I wouldn't want to deal with the size of it.
My one and only third party lens is an ancient Tokina 80-200/2.8. It is an excellent lens, and was the only lens I used for my book, but I was very happy to supplant it with the 60-250.
As for the price, it costs what it costs.
You can support your favourite camera company and hope they keep making stuff, or you can buy third party and not care.
I'd prefer that Pentax stays viable, so I buy their stuff.

01-16-2010, 03:10 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Looking at the figures you quote they do indeed look better but they only tell a small part of the story. There are also the MTF figures but the bottom line is how good a picture does it take.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
They may make sense to some, they may make less sense to people who don't use third party glass for whatever reason they choose.

For me, the 60-250 is actually a very good focal length. It starts out at the short end, just a little wider than where my primes run out, and it leaves off just a little short of my F*300/4.5.
There are a few things I don't like, I would prefer if it didn't trombone for example, and though I would really like it to be a stop faster, I wouldn't want to deal with the size of it.
My one and only third party lens is an ancient Tokina 80-200/2.8. It is an excellent lens, and was the only lens I used for my book, but I was very happy to supplant it with the 60-250.
As for the price, it costs what it costs.
You can support your favourite camera company and hope they keep making stuff, or you can buy third party and not care.
I am with you in prefering Pentax lenses. I find they work better with Pentax cameras which is what I'd hope, but there is the stone wall at 300mm. I have had poor results with TCs so I have had to buy the Sigma 150-500 for aircraft, birds etc.

Please Pentax - DA* 100-400 or something a bit longer. I could live with F5.6.

Last edited by Oggy; 01-17-2010 at 03:58 PM. Reason: typo
01-16-2010, 04:05 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can support your favourite camera company and hope they keep making stuff, or you can buy third party and not care. I'd prefer that Pentax stays viable, so I buy their stuff.
Huh, I've never looked at it that way. I certainly want Pentax to remain viable (and, trust me, I've done my part ;~)but I think part of its viability for me is the availability of third party lenses: if Sigma, Tamron, et al stop offering K-mount versions of their lenses, we'll know we're in deep doo-doo.

In any case, although we hear a lot of raves about the 50-135mm, the silence about the 60-250mm has been, as the OP suggests, pretty deafening. Certainly the Sigma is better suited for me: faster, lighter, less expensive and HSM r/t SDM. I'm not sayin' the 60-250mm is a bad lens and there are obviously some who have it and really like it but they seem few and far between. All in all, my impression is that it's been rather a dud for Pentax--and that's really not my fault.
01-16-2010, 08:40 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Never let the facts...

There are several factors that i think are causing this lens to be not as well talked about as others:

1. Price, anyway you cut it, its an expensive lens
2. Range, many Pentax users either have the 300 f4 for their tele coverage, had already gone 3rd party, or simply find that the 50-135 has covered their tele lens needs (or even the 55-300 or 50-200 WR/L).
3. It is an out door lens, and large portion of the worlds population are currently in winter.
4. The owners of this gem of a lens are too busy enjoying it to talk about it...

For you maybe but for others, well the 60-250 is lighter and smaller then any of the 3rd party options has a smaller filter thread, from user reports the 60-250 is better at f4 then the Tamron is at all overlapping focal lengths (which by proxy makes it better then the sigma as well).

01-17-2010, 07:15 AM   #23
Veteran Member

In any case, although we hear a lot of raves about the 50-135mm, the silence about the 60-250mm has been, as the OP suggests, pretty deafening. Certainly the Sigma is better suited for me: faster, lighter, less expensive and HSM r/t SDM. I'm not sayin' the 60-250mm is a bad lens and there are obviously some who have it and really like it but they seem few and far between. All in all, my impression is that it's been rather a dud for Pentax--and that's really not my fault.
Huh, certainly the Sigma is not lighter? The 60-250 is smaller, lighter, has a much better range, in addition to being weather-sealed. A pretty good package if you ask me.
01-17-2010, 07:23 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by EricT Quote
Huh, certainly the Sigma is not lighter? The 60-250 is smaller, lighter...
You're right I should fact-check before I post.
01-17-2010, 03:20 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Very well said (the whole post). Show me two more or less equivalent lenses, Pentax and 3rd-party - I would chose the Pentax. Not blindly, though, not if I feel the Pentax is a worse choice (but so far, that was never been the case).
The 100-300 f/4 is an excellent lens; but I have the 60-250 f/4 - and guess what, it's excellent as well. Even wide-open, at 250mm.
01-17-2010, 10:57 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Well, just to add the reasons why I bought this and not a third-party option;

1. First and most importantly, weather sealed. I'm an archaeologist, and I work in the jungles of Central America. When I take my gear down there, I can use any and all environmental protection I can get. That's why I bought this along with the *16-50 to use on my K-7.

2. The gap between this and the 16-50 is smaller (10mm) than the 70-200 options.

3. 50mm difference on the longer end becomes a 75mm-100mm difference when you factor in a TC... something you tend to use with long telephotos. Indeed, one of the first things I used the lens for was to shoot the total solar eclipse in China last year with a Kenko 1.5x TC.
01-17-2010, 11:34 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RawheaD Quote
Well, just to add the reasons why I bought this and not a third-party option;

1. First and most importantly, weather sealed. I'm an archaeologist, and I work in the jungles of Central America. When I take my gear down there, I can use any and all environmental protection I can get. That's why I bought this along with the *16-50 to use on my K-7.

2. The gap between this and the 16-50 is smaller (10mm) than the 70-200 options.

3. 50mm difference on the longer end becomes a 75mm-100mm difference when you factor in a TC... something you tend to use with long telephotos. Indeed, one of the first things I used the lens for was to shoot the total solar eclipse in China last year with a Kenko 1.5x TC.
thats a great shot of the eclipse.

I would like to see some of you other photos that are related to your profession

cheers

Neil
01-18-2010, 07:40 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Unfortunately, one of the biggest reasons that this lens was not a big seller was the delay on its launch. I think it ended up coming out two years after it was supposed to be released on the roadmap. Most folks gave up and bought a 70-200 f2.8 lens, even if they would rather have this focal length range.
01-19-2010, 08:03 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
From my first studio shoot with it.
The full size version is extremely sharp as well...not as much as my 77Ltd but good enough to see skin pores...

Wow...PentaxForums butchers the uploaded files...why in the world does it muck w/ files if the size is small enough
Attached Images

01-19-2010, 08:53 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
thats a great shot of the eclipse.

I would like to see some of you other photos that are related to your profession

cheers

Neil

Thanks; unfortunately, I just bought this lens last July, and I haven't been in the field since then. I might go down to C.A. this summer. In which case the lens is absolutely definitely coming with me :-)