Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2010, 10:47 AM   #16
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Heehee. I just got a 28/ 1.8, now. ...from somewhere.
What can you say about 28/1.8?

01-15-2010, 11:54 AM   #17

This may help..
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/72540-sigma-30...ng-people.html
01-15-2010, 12:35 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Probably the things that were in the two paragraphs of her post
01-15-2010, 05:14 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Perhaps your copy is defective?
That's my second copy. The first one was even worse!

I have never seen a tack sharp picture taken with the Sigma 20/1.8. The big advantage of this lens is supposed to be the F/1.8 aperture, but it is totally unusable, even in a pinch -- it's always better to crank up the ISO. Of course you can get acceptable pictures from it at F/2.8 and it it gets a bit better at F/4 and F/5.6, but no picture from this lens looks bitingly sharp. Maybe I am partial because my FA 20/2.8 is a superb lens, but I still consider the Sigma to be a sub par lens.

Cheers!

Abbazz

01-15-2010, 11:26 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I haven't tried too many Sigmas, but I do have the Sigma 30mm F1.4.

it's actually one of my favorite lenses! with the CDN price increase on both the FA35 F/2 and the FA31 F/1.8, the Sigma 30mm suddenly seems like a bargain.

The trick is getting a good copy. The strange thing is that the only two good copies I found were the one I tried while in Japan and my current one (which is a used model!). Strange! All the store models (all of them brand new) here locally sucked big time. Back focus, front focus, soft focus... horrid for the price.

It's magic once you get a decent copy. Not detailed frame to frame so not great for landscapes, but perfect for people shots where you blur out the background anyways. It is my go to lens for my portrait and low light work.

Maybe I'll sell my excellent copy to fund an FA31
01-16-2010, 02:08 AM   #21
Veteran Member

asdf, where did you find your copy of the sigma 24mm? I'm interested in a wide angle low-lighter
01-16-2010, 04:36 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am still very confused over this, and I am not in a dire need of a 1.4, but eventually would want one. I would like it to be wide as possible and as sharp as possible wideopen.

If I shoot at iso 1600 then I usually don't have to do NR for prints. If I shoot at iso3200, then I have to do NR and that too a significant amount resulting in a significant loss of sharpness. So, unless the lens is sharp wide open, I don't gain much by getting a lens 1-stop faster. If the lens is soft at 1.4, then I have to shoot at iso1600, and I can easily use an f2 lens at iso3200 (FA35) instead.

I've looked at the images posted in pixel peeper, and I had downloaded quite a few shots from the 30/1.4, and it sharpens up very nicely from end to end. But, can't do much sharpening with high iso without introducing more noise. It's quite a conundrum.

I am more comfortable waiting on this decision a bit more.....

@dugrant153, I remember reading about your defective samples and in having found this great copy...so, if I am buying one, and you have one for a great price, I will p.m. you.......thanks!

P.S: The more I think about it, I think the 31/1.8 is the ideal candidate.....but, I could have gotten one for ~$700 with bing cashback a few months back, and I absolutely hate to pay $1k for a lens, it's a mental block.....

Last edited by pcarfan; 01-16-2010 at 05:31 AM.
01-16-2010, 04:53 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for the link.....

01-16-2010, 06:22 AM   #24
Inactive Account

I haven't used/tried the 20 or the 24, but the 30 is an excellent lens for what it does. I started the thread for the link that was posted and am still enamoured by the 30mm for taking pics of people. I would take it over the FA35 and the DA35 hands down.

The 30 is a bit of a specialty lens - so if you're not wanting what it offers then look elsewhere. But if you are looking at what it offers I think you'll be very hard pressed to find anything better.

As for bum copies, etc. - this is true of ALL lenses. People bitch and whine about this lens, but the truth of the matter is many of them bitching have never held or used it.

c[_]
01-16-2010, 09:36 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dugrant153 Quote
asdf, where did you find your copy of the sigma 24mm? I'm interested in a wide angle low-lighter
ebay. "47st.photo" is selling a Pentax mount one. BTW, too bad 24mm isn't that wide on APS-C cameras. Also, don't judge the lens by the image I posted. I did some adjustments in Aperture 2.
01-16-2010, 10:19 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
I have never seen a tack sharp picture taken with the Sigma 20/1.8. The big advantage of this lens is supposed to be the F/1.8 aperture, but it is totally unusable, even in a pinch -- it's always better to crank up the ISO.
Ok, what do you mean by a "tack sharp picture"?
Below is a quick shot of my phone.
Sharp enough for me.

K20D, 20/1.8 at f1.8, ISO 250, unaltered

100% crop:
01-16-2010, 10:34 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
@dugrant153, I remember reading about your defective samples and in having found this great copy...so, if I am buying one, and you have one for a great price, I will p.m. you.......thanks!

P.S: The more I think about it, I think the 31/1.8 is the ideal candidate.....but, I could have gotten one for ~$700 with bing cashback a few months back, and I absolutely hate to pay $1k for a lens, it's a mental block.....
That's my problem with the FA31. Here in Canada, I'm looking at $1300 CDN + 12% tax brand new (about $1250 USD + 12% tax). At this price, I could be getting 3 good Nikon primes!! But I love the Pentax shake and it's robustness.

feel free to PM me anyways if you decide. I don't mind posting up samples.
01-16-2010, 10:34 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
ebay. "47st.photo" is selling a Pentax mount one. BTW, too bad 24mm isn't that wide on APS-C cameras. Also, don't judge the lens by the image I posted. I did some adjustments in Aperture 2.
24mm would be perfect for me if Pentax went full frame. But... let's leae that or another thread

Thanks for the info!
01-16-2010, 02:38 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote

Well, what Wally said, for one. I went into my impressions so far early on in this thread: the lens is still new to me, and it's been a pretty bad week or so for the chronic pain: I've barely lifted a camera all week, but maybe tonight. (Kind of no kind of night to try the infinity-focus out there, but I will try to gather more basis for some impressions. )

In general, still very happy. Really does suit my purposes well, optically. (Just as some of the folks here promised when I started asking about this range sometime last year It's quite nice in low-light at wider apertures, and really very nice corner-to-corner stopped down: here's one I took at F11 the first day I took it out.

Unfortunately, it was so bright I could barely see, so I didn't really notice the ISO was cranked up to 3200. Still, here's an idea:

Looks quite nice on my own viewer. Less so on Photobucket, but everything's like that.

I think when they turned me onto this lens, they said it was the sharpest of the lot, but I didn't pay much attention to what they said about the others: 28mm happens to be the FL I wanted most anyway.

Here's a little more for OGL, after some more experimenting: I still am finding no significant fault with this lens: it's looking nice all over, quite honestly. Nothing embarassing or conspicuous, at the least.

(Absolutely refuses to autofocus with the focus points that are way off toward the side of the frame... I confirmed this tonight, but that's really no big deal to me, and I suspect it's just cause of the design of camera or lens. It's not like the sharpness isn't there. And the middle nine work fine. )

I did manage to sneak in a wide-open shot at or near infinity, btw, despite the mist and rain and low visibility. (Parking deck. Haha. ) Had to go higher ISO, but looks pretty good on the LCD.

It's sure looking pretty nice so far: I haven't tried it out in the bright wide open, yet, or much in the bright at all, really. Or on film as yet. (That ought to be fun. ) I presume that with such a big element, it'll benefit from a narrower hood for digital under the brighter conditions.

I'll do some more peeping and testing, soon. It's looking very presentable for the low light work, certainly.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 01-16-2010 at 07:59 PM.
01-16-2010, 02:59 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Well, what Wally said, for one. I went into my impressions so far early on in this thread: the lens is still new to me, and it's been a pretty bad week or so for the chronic pain: I've barely lifted a camera all week, but maybe tonight. (Kind of no kind of night to try the infinity-focus out there, but I will try to gather more basis for some impressions. )

In general, still very happy. Really does suit my purposes well, optically. (Just as some of the folks here promised when I started asking about this range sometime last year It's quite nice in low-light at wider apertures, and really very nice corner-to-corner stopped down: here's one I took at F11 the first day I took it out.

Unfortunately, it was so bright I could barely see, so I didn't really notice the ISO was cranked up to 3200. Still, here's an idea:

Looks quite nice on my own viewer. Less so on Photobucket, but everything's like that.
Thats a great image, seems very sharp. Congrats. Doesn't the f1.8 mean that the AF will have plenty of light to operate by, say as compared to a f2.8 max aperture lens?

For example, one night i was trying to focus on some dark branches to frame the moon. my 50-135 would not lock focus, but when i shifted to the FA50 f1.4 it would lock focus.