Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2010, 09:05 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
I use this lens often when travelling, usually with the 77 ltd as a pair. It's quite strogn between 25mm and 125mm, I try to avoid the long end and just crop a little.

I have quite a few examples here ... Zenfolio | Alfisti | Images by Lens

Here is a small selection ....

Some great captures, I particularly love the first one.

01-16-2010, 09:11 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
This is what I think of your superzoom.
I've just had a look at your gallery...It is not the lens sir, but what one does with it.

I have no qualms using the 18-250 for a pro shoot and will do so just to prove my point. That lens if used correctly will be able to accomplish most tasks and I doubt if you can discern the difference between other more costly lenses.

None the less, I don't agree with your assessment.
01-16-2010, 09:16 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
It is great to see an experienced photographer like benjikan enjoying the Pentax DA 18-250mm. Thank you. There have been, in my opinion, too many threads 'bashing' the 18-250mm (see just above). The DA 18-250mm is an excellent walk-around lens. Full stop; it is not a prime and should not be compared with primes.

The 18-250mm is an important lens to attract new people and users, like myself, who had had superzoom digital cameras and want move to dSLR. In my case, I work often outdoor, in dusty, dirty and wet environments, and it is simply un-realistic to change lenses: the 18-250mm is the perfect lens.

Again many thanks for the support of a renown professional to the 18-250mm. It is a pity that it is discontinued, and I can only hope that a new 18-250 or 18-270mm WR lens will come out sooner than later.
Most lenses today can resolve and render more than we can express with them..I say to him, learn your craft.
01-16-2010, 09:19 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
2 years on and I still love my 18-250. Every now and then I think I may want to trade it for something, but I never seem to get the courage to let it go. I find having that kind of range with me, at that size, is an ideal solution when I cant travel with a bag full of lenses. I never really understood why some people out there dog this lens (or all super-zooms), I guess it doesn't fit into their needs, but it doesn't mean the lens is generally inferior.

Jason
WHY? It is called gear snobbery. If it was the only lens I owned, I could make do with it and get great results.

Last edited by benjikan; 01-16-2010 at 09:47 PM.
01-16-2010, 11:20 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I've just had a look at your gallery...It is not the lens sir, but what one does with it.

I hoped the smiley tipped you off that I was kidding about the lens. But I'm too anonymous to care whether I'm being flamed or not. Thanks for the 1/5. I was hoping instead on another thread for hints on how to turn Sigma's colors into Pentax colors in post processing.
01-17-2010, 12:13 AM   #36
Veteran Member

WHY? It is called gear snobbery. If it was the only lens I owned, I could make do with it and get great results.
"Unfortunately, some zoom lenses do not provide the highest image quality; I recommend careful checking at all focal lengths and focus distances before purchasing one." -- Ansel Adams (1980, "The Camera", p. 61)
01-17-2010, 02:40 AM   #37
Veteran Member

So with your aggressiveness, you don't mind to offend people, it's no good, not at all.
I am rarely aggressive, but I just had a look at the gallery of the guy dumping the lens in to the garbage and quite frankly, a Pentax 31 mm Ltd. would make no difference in what he produces. in fact a Holga might aid in making the images more artistic aka David Hamilton.]
I say a photographer can only overcome to him/herself, so your
I could make do with it and get great result
. claim has no point in discussion. If you can live with the low resolutions, thats fine with you, but thats not fine for some people, don't you get it? .
Pentax SMC DA 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 ED AL [IF] - Review / Lab Test Report

Some people might need better resolution for their works so your
Most lenses today can resolve and render more than we can express with them..I say to him, learn your craft.
This claim is also futile, we are not you, also Yes Sire we try to learn our craft as you wish.

If you call better resolution hence saturation&colors seeking people gear snobs, yes we are the gear snobs, so what?
01-18-2010, 11:56 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
I mentioned before nut you obviously missed it , K-7 and K-x does not correct optical aberration and PF of Tamron lens. I gave the link too.
This lens is for your wife correct? Aberration/PF correction processing takes a second or two between shots correct? How do you see your wife using her camera? If she wants to quickly take shots in quick succession this feature will not allow for this correct? I only have briefly played with a K-7 however when playing with it the delay this featured caused annoyed me to no end so I turned it off for the duration I had the unit in my hand.

01-18-2010, 12:45 PM   #39
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote
This lens is for your wife correct? Aberration/PF correction processing takes a second or two between shots correct? How do you see your wife using her camera? If she wants to quickly take shots in quick succession this feature will not allow for this correct? I only have briefly played with a K-7 however when playing with it the delay this featured caused annoyed me to no end so I turned it off for the duration I had the unit in my hand.
I have the K-7 with Pentax 18-250mm. I do both single-shots and continuous shooting (Hi). In single-shot, I set ON the lens correction. The delay is (1s) is very reasonable. In continuous shooting, I disable (OFF) the lens correction off course.

If you need to take more than 1 fps, it is best to set to continuous shooting (Hi or Low pending upon your needs). Otherwise, Lens correction is wothwhile in single shots.
01-18-2010, 01:38 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote

Thanks for thinking, we both coming from the film age, just came out from our Canon FD cave 1..3 years ago, for instance only 100 ISO, 0.2 fps , AF in 3 seconds normal for us, more than that is still like Stephan Hawkings science fiction stories for us.

starwars
03-08-2010, 01:51 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
Ok let me play devils advocate role here if you don't mind.

You call this a good sample benjikan? I don't even like below samples. Guess my standards are higher than yours.
Your what? Standards are higher than mine??? In most cases my images have to be published in relatively large format magazines and often double spread layouts. Now if Pixel Peeping is what you are referring to, well perhaps. But please lets not go there...
03-08-2010, 02:47 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
"Unfortunately, some zoom lenses do not provide the highest image quality; I recommend careful checking at all focal lengths and focus distances before purchasing one." -- Ansel Adams (1980, "The Camera", p. 61)
Ansel shot nice postcards and calendars. One probably doesn't want to shoot calendars and ARIZONA HIGHWAYS spreads with a Pentax 110 SLR (such a system just sold on eBay for US$25). But Ansel didn't deal much with people, emotions, gritty life. He sold an ideal of unspoilt wilderness, a fantasy. We don't need US$100k of Canon gear to shoot pictures that tear your heart out -- weren't the famous Tienanmen Square shots made with an early phonecam? Image quality is nice. Significance is better.

"f/8 and be there."
03-08-2010, 08:47 AM   #43
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This is basically an extension of the kit lens debate which has been the subject of many threads. The performance is roughly like putting the two kit lenses (18-55 + 50-200) together. I used that combo for more than a year before buying another DA lens, and took numerous photos with which I was very happy.

I shoot most of my digital now with other lenses (mostly pancakes). I can see the resolution difference in 100% crops, but that difference is seldom meaningful for the photo as it is normally used. For traveling, lens resolution takes a big back seat to camera shake and autofocus, and all these take a back seat to getting the shot.
03-08-2010, 11:23 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
This is basically an extension of the kit lens debate which has been the subject of many threads. The performance is roughly like putting the two kit lenses (18-55 + 50-200) together. I used that combo for more than a year before buying another DA lens, and took numerous photos with which I was very happy.

I shoot most of my digital now with other lenses (mostly pancakes). I can see the resolution difference in 100% crops, but that difference is seldom meaningful for the photo as it is normally used. For traveling, lens resolution takes a big back seat to camera shake and autofocus, and all these take a back seat to getting the shot.
This was why I purchased a Sigma 18-250 (seems as good as the Pentax/Tamron from what I have read), even though I have "higher quality" lenses. For traveling, being able to reduce to a single lens was very important.

For the first vacation I went on, I probably would've been fine with a Holga lens though... The haze from the California wildfires last August reached as far as Denver.
03-08-2010, 11:52 AM   #45
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
This was why I purchased a Sigma 18-250 (seems as good as the Pentax/Tamron from what I have read), even though I have "higher quality" lenses. For traveling, being able to reduce to a single lens was very important.

For the first vacation I went on, I probably would've been fine with a Holga lens though... The haze from the California wildfires last August reached as far as Denver.
I will probably travel with the little DA Ltd lenses on my K-x and a zoom as a backup. I like primes because I don't like the size of most zooms, and I tend to take a lot of shots of people indoors. For most people, traveling means taking photos of buildings, streets and mountains outdoors at apertures where zooms really shine, and resolution is not a huge issue.