Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2010, 02:34 PM   #16
Veteran Member

I use this lens often when travelling, usually with the 77 ltd as a pair. It's quite strogn between 25mm and 125mm, I try to avoid the long end and just crop a little.

I have quite a few examples here ... Zenfolio | Alfisti | Images by Lens

Here is a small selection ....

01-15-2010, 02:55 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
Case in point, which shot below was taken with the DA*200, and which was taken with the 18-250?

To me, they're interchangable at this viewing.
Thanks for posting, when I see red dots on the yellow genitals, second one is very much better to my eyes, much clearer, that should be the 200*, am I right?

Add: Also red dots on top of the genitlas are pretty faint in the first one comparing to second. Just curious which is which.

Last edited by cbaytan; 01-15-2010 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Add info
01-15-2010, 03:11 PM   #18
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
I use this lens often when travelling, usually with the 77 ltd as a pair. It's quite strogn between 25mm and 125mm, I try to avoid the long end and just crop a little.

I have quite a few examples here ... Zenfolio | Alfisti | Images by Lens

Here is a small selection ....
Great collection, very good source, much appreciated, technically I loved the second and third lake photo, light pole, long bench, paint shop, paintings and the butcher photo.

Wondering did you PS process them a lot, like sharpening, playing with colors, or just only moderate touchs involved?
01-15-2010, 03:11 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
Thanks for posting, when I see red dots on the yellow genitals, second one is very much better to my eyes, much clearer, that should be the 200*, am I right?

Add: Also red dots on top of the genitlas are pretty faint in the first one comparing to second. Just curious which is which.
Gotta say, I read that before seeing the images on page one, well ... it leaves one to his imagination of just what is on page one.

01-15-2010, 03:17 PM   #20
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote
I'm not sure what you would gain with the Tamron version over the Pentax version.
I mentioned before nut you obviously missed it , K-7 and K-x does not correct optical aberration and PF of Tamron lens. I gave the link too.
01-15-2010, 03:20 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Very much appreciated.

Regarding pping, where this lens struggles say compared to the 50-200 pentax is colour and contrast. It is, essentially a Tamron lens and i am not a big fan of Tamron colour (muddy greens and magenta blues).

So, yes they ahve been tweaked quite a bit, particularly the specific colour channels, also, the Clarity slider on Lightroom does wonders for this lens as it lacks isolated (micro) contrast. Just move a slider a little and things look much better right away.

I don't see this lens replacing serious lenses but anyone shooting the 18-55 and 50-200 is crazy not to try this lens as it has 95% of the IQ those two have with none of the hassle.

Click on the 77 ltd gallery though and right away you seen the oooomph that lens has.

Great collection, very good source, much appreciated, technically I loved the second and third lake photo, light pole, long bench, paint shop, paintings and the butcher photo.

Wondering did you PS process them a lot, like sharpening, playing with colors, or just only moderate touchs involved?
01-15-2010, 03:23 PM   #22
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote
I have the Tamron version of this lens and like anything else once you know the limitations of the lens you can take stunning photos with it.

I've posted these here several times before but these were taken with my 18-250:
Forgot to ask these pictures look like HDR to me, are they?

01-15-2010, 03:55 PM   #23
Inactive Account

Click on the 77 ltd gallery though and right away you seen the oooomph that lens has.
Gotta say again very good photos,

Yeah I know 77 ltd is the best Pentax lens I know of. IMO it blows 43 and 31 ltds off too. but it's angle is too narrow for me, even without crop factor. I am a wide angle kinda guy.
01-15-2010, 03:56 PM   #24
Veteran Member

You are correct. I think you're just more discerning in your viewing than I am. To me, both are interchangeable at this size. Sounds like the 18-250 would not keep you happy.

No, just regular exposure.

Gotta say, I read that before seeing the images on page one, well ... it leaves one to his imagination of just what is on page one.
Ha! I thought the same thing at first, and I'm the one that posted the pictures!
01-15-2010, 04:10 PM   #25
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
You are correct. To me, both are interchangeable at this size. Sounds like the 18-250 would not keep you happy.
Yes, thanks for the samples again, I learned two things from this thread, first my copy of 18-250 is not defective, second you don't expect too much from this lens at the widest and longest angles.

I hope my wife can live with this lens, this lens is her only chance for switching from ZLR to SLR. (She is lens changing handicapped on the field), otherwise I will sell it.
01-15-2010, 04:16 PM   #26
Veteran Member

No HDR on those two shots. I had done some PP using LightZone to get the colors and lighting as I remembered them in my mind.
01-15-2010, 04:44 PM   #27
Veteran Member

This is what I think of your superzoom.
Attached Images

01-16-2010, 12:54 AM   #28
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Just received my Pentax DA 18-250 lens that I exchanged with our forum member Albert for my 21 Ltd and couldn't be happier. What a great all round "Shlep" around lens, when you want to be a tourist in your own town...

To be honest, I did not expect it to be this good!
It is great to see an experienced photographer like benjikan enjoying the Pentax DA 18-250mm. Thank you. There have been, in my opinion, too many threads 'bashing' the 18-250mm (see just above). The DA 18-250mm is an excellent walk-around lens. Full stop; it is not a prime and should not be compared with primes.

The 18-250mm is an important lens to attract new people and users, like myself, who had had superzoom digital cameras and want move to dSLR. In my case, I work often outdoor, in dusty, dirty and wet environments, and it is simply un-realistic to change lenses: the 18-250mm is the perfect lens.

Again many thanks for the support of a renown professional to the 18-250mm. It is a pity that it is discontinued, and I can only hope that a new 18-250 or 18-270mm WR lens will come out sooner than later.

Last edited by hcc; 01-16-2010 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Typos
01-16-2010, 01:01 AM   #29
Veteran Member

2 years on and I still love my 18-250. Every now and then I think I may want to trade it for something, but I never seem to get the courage to let it go. I find having that kind of range with me, at that size, is an ideal solution when I cant travel with a bag full of lenses. I never really understood why some people out there dog this lens (or all super-zooms), I guess it doesn't fit into their needs, but it doesn't mean the lens is generally inferior.

Jason
01-16-2010, 09:01 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
I agree Ben. I had been singing the praises of that lens for a while. I had it on my camera most of the time since it was so reliable, and sharp. It is the only lens I had that seemed to outperform the optical review at photozone. To see the difference between it and the (optically) great 50-135, you have to go to 100% crop.

I am really surprised to read here that they stopped production. Maybe it has to do with Tamron shifting to the 270?

I like to show this picture any time we talk about the 18-250.

I love that image!