Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2010, 01:52 PM   #16
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by Deimo Quote
But why do you have 2 Kit zooms?
That's a good question. I bought the first when I bought my K20D new. Then I bought a K200D 2nd hand and the second one came with it. I actually also have both the DA 50-200mm and 55-300mm zooms. Like I said, I'm not good at selling stuff.

EDIT: Thanks for the link, I'll take a look.

01-15-2010, 01:53 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
When you find the bargain WA for APS-C, let me know. When I looked for the combination of good, fast, small, and cheap, I came up with the Zenitar 16/2.8 Fisheye. That was before the price went through the roof.

At under $300 the DA 16-45 is probably your best bet.

Steve
Just checked ebay and Zenitars are going for $205. I know that's double the old price, but still pretty dang cheap.
01-15-2010, 02:20 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
BTW, the kit lens is f/3.5 at the wide end. An f/4 lens is barely any slower, and an f/2.8 les barely any faster. Given also that ultra wide angle shots tend not to be the sort of situations where extremely large apertures are needed, I'd say max aperture should not really factor too much into this decision.

If you're looking for cheap, the Zenitar is really the only choice at under $200 new, less used. it's a fisheye, but since it was designed for FF, it's actually only "semi" fisheye on APS-C and can pretty easily be "defished". It's also "fishy" enough to be wider than the focal length might imply. The 16-45 is indeed the other logical choice if you don't mind spending just a bit more, but if you're looking for smaller/lighter than the 18-55, this isn't your lens.
01-15-2010, 02:31 PM   #19
emr

Marc, wise words once again.

It is true that as the lens would mostly probably end up being used for landscapes on a tripod, the max aperture isn't so significant. In street and architectural photography the bigger aperture might help, but that's rather secondary for me.

I'll probably end up using the kit zoom - until I force myself to buy the 15mm ltd... Thanks, everybody. It's often useful to hear other people's views on things even if one might end up doing the contrary.

01-15-2010, 02:46 PM   #20
Veteran Member

You know what?
This thread is reminding that the 18-55 kit lens is one heck of deal!

18mm/3.5 for less than 1 benji!

I think I just convinced myself that the DA15 is not a logical choice.

But....
Sometimes, Logic is not the L in LBA
01-15-2010, 03:03 PM   #21
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by PentHassyKon Quote
You know what?
You know, that is so true. Also a mental note to myself: learn to use the equipment better instead of "improving" your photography by constantly buying more equipment!
01-15-2010, 03:29 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
... Fisheye isn't really what I'm looking for. I'd hate to correct every picture...
Who does corrections?! As Marc notes, the fish-eye effect is not terribly pronounced due to image cropping. I routinely use my Zenitar for landscape and even architecture work with no correction whatsoever. Keep the focal plane plumb and there are no issues beyond the rare bent tree. I don't know which is worse, bending a tree/wall or stretching the same subject laterally with a 12mm rectilinear.

Steve
01-15-2010, 04:57 PM   #23
Site Supporter

The 18-55mm II is tough to beat at the price. That said, you could sell them both and put it towards a 16-45mm.

QuoteOriginally posted by PentHassyKon Quote
You know what?

18mm/3.5 for less than 1 benji!

I think I just convinced myself that the DA15 is not a logical choice.

But....
Sometimes, Logic is not the L in LBA
bigthumbsup

Last edited by Blue; 01-15-2010 at 05:05 PM.
01-15-2010, 07:05 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Who does corrections?! As Marc notes, the fish-eye effect is not terribly pronounced due to image cropping. I routinely use my Zenitar for landscape and even architecture work with no correction whatsoever. Keep the focal plane plumb and there are no issues beyond the rare bent tree. I don't know which is worse, bending a tree/wall or stretching the same subject laterally with a 12mm rectilinear.

Steve
I second Russ and Steve input as well.
The wide side of the kit lens is not actually 18mm . It is more like 20mm - hardly wide at all compared with the fisheye Zen 16mm
Also the extreme end of a consumer zoom happens to be very weak indeed.

Daniel
01-15-2010, 07:06 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like the wide angle end of things, and I have slowly acquired lenses over time, also. As others have indicated, the kit lens is wonderful and works well, as it is pretty well balanced in features (IQ, size, weight, aperture and price). I keep the 2 kit lenses (18-55 and 50-200) with my old K100 in the truck so to have a camera handy.

For my K20 - the 16-45 is wonderful, great IQ, sharp good color - a tad large, but a very good lens, and the price has dropped over the years. The only thing better in IQ and sharper is the 12-24, which is also even physically larger (and its also sharper than the DA15 limited). I also have the 10-17 which is useful in many situations but being a FE, there are times it just does not work out.

Another possibility is stitching for a wider angle view on things. Lots of very good software around to assist in doing this. As Ash commented, aperture is not really that important in WA. The only time I have found that stitching did not work was when the scene was dynamic - ships at sea and everything was in motion - stitching did not work, but the 10-17 at 180 degrees captured it perfectly!

So my suggestion (FL, aperture, and $$) would be the 16-45 and a tripod...
01-15-2010, 07:49 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
Just checked ebay and Zenitars are going for $205. I know that's double the old price, but still pretty dang cheap.
EBay seller Zenitar has them for $195. Highly recommended.

Cheers!

Abbazz
01-15-2010, 09:27 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
EBay seller Zenitar has them for $195. Highly recommended.

Cheers!

Abbazz
Be sure and get the K-mount version if you deal with this vendor. The M42 lacks the A/M switch for manual diaphragm operation.

Steve