Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2010, 11:21 AM   #1

Tamron 70-300mm LD Di macro

Hi,

I am new and looking for a Zoom lenses for sport photography but am on a strict budget as I am a student I was wondering of the Tamron 70-300 LD Di macro was a good zoom lens and if it was compatible with the K20D. If it is are there any limitations or draw backs with it.

If it is not compatible can anyone suggest a not to expensive alternative?

Many Thanks

Matt

01-15-2010, 11:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattmiles Quote
Hi,

I am new and looking for a Zoom lenses for sport photography but am on a strict budget as I am a student I was wondering of the Tamron 70-300 LD Di macro was a good zoom lens and if it was compatible with the K20D. If it is are there any limitations or draw backs with it.

If it is not compatible can anyone suggest a not to expensive alternative?

Many Thanks

Matt
No compatibility issues. I've used mine on a k100d and now my k20d. I feel it needs to be stopped down and in good lighting conditions to provide sharp images.

Here's a related thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31653-my-new-t...-di-macro.html

I've taken a lot of images with mine, as a student myself I've been very pleased with the compromise between sharpness and cost. Smugmug appears to be kaput right now, otherwise I'd share some examples.
01-15-2010, 11:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

See the following thread for a recent discussion.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/82106-tamron-70-300-macro.html

I had the Tamron 70-300mm for a short while, and it was a nice lens for the price. Its limitations are well known, especially pretty bad purple fringing. But it is a very sharp lens, so that does count for something. I ended up returning mine as I didn't think I'd have much of a use for it, but many people swear by it. If one is on a budget, it is likely the best option in this range. If one can spend a bit more, the Pentax 55-300mm lens is generally considered a better lens.
01-15-2010, 12:12 PM   #4

Original Poster
Okay thanks for the replies.

I have just looked on the Tamron website and am a little confused. What are the difference between the tele-photo zooms and the Tamron 70-300 LD Di macro. As I am looking to use this lens for sports photography would the Tamron 70-300 LD Di macro be suitable. I only ask as it has macro in the title.

May sound daft but I am a newb!

Thanks

01-15-2010, 12:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

There's macro lock on the focus ring, so that you can lock out the macro portion of the focus to keep the lens from hunting too much when you're shooting your sports.

Here's where macro is useful (Out of a K100d shot in .jpg and slightly cropped but otherwise unmolested):

Here's another from the same trip:

It's pretty versatile, the macro feature may come in handy someday.

For everyday telephoto use it's also not too bad. Here's a more recent example from my k100d:

For your sports stuff, it's not going to be fantastic. The slow aperture and lack of sharpness wide open mean you're going to need excellent lighting IMO.
01-15-2010, 01:19 PM   #6
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Telephoto zoom is a generic term for any zoom lens that has a focal range from about 50mm up. So the Tamron 70-300 is a telephoto zoom, a decent consumer one at that.
Aside from its well-recognised chromatic aberration issues (you may need to look this up), it's decently sharp. Pentax's DA 55-300 is sharper and less prone to chromatic aberration, but is more expensive and no 'faster' than the Tamron.
01-15-2010, 07:42 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As said by others , it's an OK lens , not great but not terrible. I used one for part of the baseball season last Summer while another lens was in the shop . It's not much good for sports on an overcast day and forget about it under the lights.
01-15-2010, 09:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Hi Matt:

The Tamron 70-300mm LD (& DI model) is one of the best bargains out there in DSLR-land, if not the best. It provides long reach and sharp images, along with auto-focus and can be bought in great shape, used, for under a $100--that is a tough package to beat. I just sold one at our forum, in excellent shape, for $80. The lens provided excellent images for me--when considering how much I got for how much I spent, I have to put two big thumbs up. I replaced the lens with something that provided better IQ and no longer needed it.

But this does not mean the lens comes without any negatives. First of all, the AF can hunt, and ca/pf issues, especially wide open, are surely its Achilles heel. However, once you know its limitations, you can get great shots with it. You need to stop down when possible and avoid high contrast situations i.e., tree branches up against a very bright sky. At f8 the ca/pf was minimal--I did not even post process it out, but that too is an option should you decide to use it.

I think, given your budget and what you want to do with the lens, this is your best choice--but buy used! Good luck.

01-16-2010, 01:56 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Surprisingly, the Tamron scores better MTF at 200mm and 300mm than the DA55-300 in Photozone's tests/reviews...

Tamron 70-300mm

Pentax DA55-300mm
01-16-2010, 02:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member

jeweltrail's sentiments echo mine. Bang for buck, it's probably the best telezoom. PF is also less than on the K10D, but when you see it, it's a lot. It's a lot sharper than what you'd expect for a $100 lens up to about 280mm.
Be careful w/ the rear lens cap...put is on the right way or it'll get stuck.
01-16-2010, 09:30 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Echoing the above, it's been a good lens for me within limitations. It has reliable quick focusing and I find the images bright and accurate. The purple fringing is something you'll have to deal with - so pop a couple shots at 180mm-ish then zoom all the way to 300.

Here's an example of a sharp-shinned hawk shot from around 50-70 feet on a bright, sunny day (image cropped). You can see the accuracy of the autofocus and the purple fringing - good and bad.