Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2010, 01:50 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Ah yes. Very nice. Now we need to see the lens and hood on a camera.

Just teasing.

01-21-2010, 01:56 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
Ah yes. Very nice. Now we need to see the lens and hood on a camera.

Just teasing.
I was actually headed in that direction, but daylight and card space ran against me.
I might try to get a few in today(weather permitting), however, we have a snow storm warning on radar and so it might have to wait.
But I definitely wanted some mounted shots to end the spread, otherwise, it's just not a complete set.
01-21-2010, 03:10 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I'd say that is a SOVIET lens, not necessarily a Russian one.

Jason
01-21-2010, 03:18 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
I'd say that is a SOVIET lens, not necessarily a Russian one.

Jason
By necessity we no longer have a Soviet Union USSR and what remains of the former USSR is now called Russia.

Having said that, if we are being picky, I suppose a propper title would have been "A former Soviet beauty" which does have rather nice ring to it I might add.

Next time perhaps

01-21-2010, 04:57 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I expected to see a picture of a tennis player...
01-21-2010, 01:42 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
By necessity we no longer have a Soviet Union USSR and what remains of the former USSR is now called Russia.

Having said that, if we are being picky, I suppose a propper title would have been "A former Soviet beauty" which does have rather nice ring to it I might add.

Next time perhaps
What was old USSR is not now known as simply Russia. Russia has been around for over a thousand years and for a brief period in it's history from 1922 to 1991, it was part of the Soviet Union, just the same as Ukraine, Georgia, Latvia, Estonia, Belarus, along with 9 other countries were. I could go on, but that would be pedantic of me.

Soviet Beauty does have a nice ring to it though, yes.

Jason
01-21-2010, 02:23 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
What was old USSR is not now known as simply Russia. Russia has been around for over a thousand years and for a brief period in it's history from 1922 to 1991, it was part of the Soviet Union, just the same as Ukraine, Georgia, Latvia, Estonia, Belarus, along with 9 other countries were. I could go on, but that would be pedantic of me.

Soviet Beauty does have a nice ring to it though, yes.

Jason
I think what stands out in this is that Russia was always the central republic state. Thus the Russian label. Which was more cultural than geographic.
Nevertheless, what remains of the former USSR is now seen as Russia, even though the remaining countries are under new independence.

Today, Russia encompasses the geographical frontiers of Eurasia, Norway and Finland and Korea.
So in proper context, it was and still is a Russian lens

Taking it a step further, we could liken the terms; "Russian lens" to "American leather"
Though both cases are subject to either made in the USA and USSR respectively.
However, the discrepancy in this case, is in the presence Russia held in the personification(if one could use such a word) of the Russian Soviet Union.

01-21-2010, 03:20 PM   #23
Voe
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Many of the Soviet lenses were made in the Ukraine part of the USSR. Some lenses are still manifactured in Ukraine. I had a collague from Ukraine, and I know how insulting it would be to call Ukranians Russians. They've suffered a lot in the beginning of the communism. For reference see: Holodomor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
01-21-2010, 03:59 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Voe Quote
Many of the Soviet lenses were made in the Ukraine part of the USSR. Some lenses are still manifactured in Ukraine. I had a collague from Ukraine, and I know how insulting it would be to call Ukranians Russians. They've suffered a lot in the beginning of the communism. For reference see: Holodomor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That's very interesting.
I tried to find out where Helios lenses where manufactured in 1977 but I didn't find anything conclusive. Your link is a stark reminder of the level of oppression that region has undergone through the past.

My wife's family comes from Odessa, which was subject to more military takeovers than an eight lane interstate on rush hour.
Though it too was under Russian control for most of their known heritage.

It would be cool if someone had inside information on the place of manufacturing for this lens though.

Last edited by JohnBee; 01-21-2010 at 04:11 PM.
01-21-2010, 04:09 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
In reference to the topic, here is another one of my Russian treasures

Last edited by JohnBee; 01-21-2010 at 04:29 PM.
01-21-2010, 04:27 PM   #26

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It would be cool if someone had inside information on the place of manufacturing for this lens though.
Judging by the marking, it was manufactured by KMZ (Krasnogorsk). The last two digits are the production year (51). You could check their site at Krasnogorsky Zavod -- ÍÀÓ×ÍÎ-ÒÅÕÍÈ×ÅÑÊÈÉ ÖÅÍÒÐ , run it through google translator, tons of useful info there.
By the way, the whole Holodomor issue is very complicated, it would've been very nice of everyone to leave it out of this discussion.
01-21-2010, 04:32 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blaze Quote
Judging by the marking, it was manufactured by KMZ (Krasnogorsk). The last two digits are the production year (51). You could check their site at Krasnogorsky Zavod -- ÍÀÓ×ÍÎ-ÒÅÕÍÈ×ÅÑÊÈÉ ÖÅÍÒÐ , run it through google translator, tons of useful info there.
Hey thanks!
I guess that makes it more Russian than I would have thought

Very good information btw.
01-21-2010, 04:54 PM   #28

Hey thanks!
I guess that makes it more Russian than I would have thought

Very good information btw.
You are welcome There's also this guy Sergey Zadorozhny Homepage , he maintains quite a detailed spreadsheet and keeps it up to date (also in Russian).
01-21-2010, 05:21 PM   #29
Igilligan

Must have hood

that is so beautiful... I want one for my jupiter and for my helios...

Please let me know what it cost and if and when I might be able to get one...

love it
01-21-2010, 09:52 PM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

That's very interesting.
I tried to find out where Helios lenses where manufactured in 1977 but I didn't find anything conclusive...
Lenses with the Helios name were (are?) made concurrently by several manufacturing units in both Russia and Belarus. For the Helios 44 series that would include KMZ, Valdai, and Belomo.

Steve