Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2010, 11:58 AM   #1
Pentaxian
JohnBee's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: front of computer
Posts: 4,620
Russian Beauty

I've been a fan of the Helios lenses since I first tried one a few years ago.

So recently I ordered an Russian made hood to mate with my Jupiter-9 and decided to try on my old Helios as well. needless to say... I haven't been able to take my eyes off of it since. Looks like a match made in heaven.



01-15-2010, 12:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Trabzon/Turkey
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,010
You put it on pedestals, well, but we would like to see how it is at work alal
01-15-2010, 12:08 PM   #3
Pentaxian
JohnBee's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: front of computer
Posts: 4,620
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
You put it on pedestals, well, but we would like to see how it is at work :alal:
Do you mean how it attache's to the lens and the likes?
Otherwise, it's a hood like any other I suppose.

Though I really love how it flares away from the lens.
It makes for a very positive curve.
01-15-2010, 12:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member
PentaxPoke's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,411
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Do you mean how it attache's to the lens and the likes?
Otherwise, it's a hood like any other I suppose.

Though I really love how it flares away from the lens.
It makes for a very positive curve.
It is very retro and awesome-looking, like they were made together. Refreshing in these days of simple plastic hoods that look like an afterthought.

Love the curve. It almost looks like a nozzle; carefully "funneling" in the light.

Can we see sort of an isometric view of the combination instead of just side view?

01-15-2010, 12:19 PM   #5
Pentaxian
ovim's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tre, Finland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,227
This looks verry nice, is that a preset Helios-44? I have one that looks just like it but in silver (aluminium) finish, do they have silver version of this hood?
01-15-2010, 12:24 PM   #6
Pentaxian
JohnBee's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: front of computer
Posts: 4,620
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
It is very retro and awesome-looking, like they were made together. Refreshing in these days of simple plastic hoods that look like an afterthought.

Love the curve. It almost looks like a nozzle; carefully "funneling" in the light.

Can we see sort of an isometric view of the combination instead of just side view?
Sure give me a few and I'll shoot a spread on it.
It's an interesting looking hood to say the least(came with a case too)

QuoteOriginally posted by ovim Quote
This looks verry nice, is that a preset Helios-44? I have one that looks just like it but in silver (aluminium) finish, do they have silver version of this hood?
Yes a preset.
This was my first and oldest Helios actually(dropped it on cement and so its a keeper )
Though, I have never seen a hood like this before.
I found it randomly while searching through eBay.
It was advertised as a Jupiter-9 hood with case type of thing.
So I figured I'd try it and see.

I will contact the seller to see if he has more and perhaps a page with more information on them in the meantime.
01-15-2010, 12:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member
PentaxPoke's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,411
Thank you! Gotta see the glass at the same time. I know it is a lens, and we should be more concerned about the images it produces, but I am a fan of products that are like "industrial art." I understand what you mean when you say you can't take your eyes off of it. There are certain lenses I feel that way about. Usually older, large aperture, and lots of glass.

You know there is a saying in aeronautics: "looks good, flies good." Does that apply to lenses?
01-15-2010, 12:55 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Rense's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Zetten - The Netherlands
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,821
Nice shot! And a beauty with the hood! Where did yuo buy it (or did I miss that in the other posts)?

01-15-2010, 03:10 PM   #9
Pentaxian
philbaum's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Port Townsend, Washington State, USA
Posts: 3,659
I like the "Made in USSR" label. There's bragging rights to that. Russian citizens need to make a living too.
01-20-2010, 02:35 AM   #10
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Trabzon/Turkey
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,010
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Do you mean how it attache's to the lens and the likes?
Otherwise, it's a hood like any other I suppose.

Though I really love how it flares away from the lens.
It makes for a very positive curve.
Ok before we start worshipping to the the look of this lens can we see the samples, outcome with this particular lens, if possible please.
01-20-2010, 03:53 AM   #11
Pentaxian
JohnBee's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: front of computer
Posts: 4,620
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
Ok before we start worshipping to the the look of this lens can we see the samples, outcome with this particular lens, if possible please.
Well I must say, It's nothing more than a classic Helios 44-2 actually(no MC to my knowledge).
And though it is very popular lens with quite a bit of image samples floating about, I do use it purely for cult reasons since I own a PK mount version also.

The first was a bit of coverage during my wife's last delivery.
And the second was the actual reason I decided to seek out a hood for this lens.




Just RAW development, no PP or anything.

Sorry I don't have anything more flashy to show for it. I do have actual photo's I took with it, but I'm just to lazy to dig any up atm.
Though I must say, the 44-2 really is a special lens to own.

Last edited by JohnBee; 01-20-2010 at 04:24 AM.
01-20-2010, 05:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Trabzon/Turkey
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,010
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Well I must say, It's nothing more than a classic Helios 44-2 actually(no MC to my knowledge).
And though it is very popular lens with quite a bit of image samples floating about, I do use it purely for cult reasons since I own a PK mount version also.
Thanks for the pics, so you are a real lens fetishist, it is so weird that a mechanical SLR f ethicist like me didn't understand this in the first place.
01-20-2010, 11:22 AM   #13
Veteran Member
PentaxPoke's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,411
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Sure give me a few and I'll shoot a spread on it.
It's an interesting looking hood to say the least(came with a case too)
OK, where is the spread you promised???
01-20-2010, 11:41 AM   #14
Pentaxian
JohnBee's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: front of computer
Posts: 4,620
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
OK, where is the spread you promised???
dang!

I thought you might have forgotten
I was procrastinating a small shoot this afternoon, so as soon as I'm done this, I'll make it so.
Give me an hour or two and I'll have a few images up.

JB
01-21-2010, 01:38 AM   #15
Pentaxian
JohnBee's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: front of computer
Posts: 4,620
Original Poster
The spread

End of day, end of light, end of card space...
Take them with a grain of salt, I'm both lazy and a procrastinator, so PP is not my forte















Have fun.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
helios, k-mount, pentax lens, russian, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
russian lenses axl Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 8 05-07-2009 11:36 AM
russian glass? Gooshin Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 34 03-27-2009 06:29 PM
Russian Coke sureshgvv Post Your Photos! 3 07-10-2008 03:45 PM
Russian Limited's? KungPOW Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 33 06-03-2008 08:58 PM
Russian Lenses Okami Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 35 05-21-2008 07:02 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:04 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top