Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2010, 06:04 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wallyb Quote
Sellers are unable to leave negative or neutral feedback.
even edit or retract the previous feedback? or is it only possible to reply once the buyer left a feedback. as far as I can recall, I think I had seen a few somewhere on eBay where the seller left a negative feedback. Yes, the one with the red mark on it.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 01-17-2010 at 09:46 PM.
01-17-2010, 06:06 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sellers are unable to leave negative or neutral feedback.
You can leave negative feedback for the buyer. Just because it says "positive" doesn't mean you have to write something positive.

This is exactly why I don't sell anything at auction. Only BIN or Best offer. I can look at the buyers feedback and determine if I want to accept the offer.

Having said that, you might as well refund the $35 as e-bay/ PayPal generally rule in favor of the buyer. And, if he used a credit card (I always do) he can file a claim with his credit card company and they will negate the transaction completely. Then, the buyer has your money AND your lens.
01-17-2010, 06:20 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
Heh, you can do that to any situation.. doesn't mean the other side will take that exact path. And then theres that whole, fighting for the principle thing.
Yes, I understand that almost everyone is honest, and that we should fight crooked deals when they are thrust upon us. I've bought and sold hundreds of times on eBay and, until just recently, never had a single problem. I was only pointing out that there really isn't anything stopping a determined crook, under the current eBay and PayPal rules, from stiffing a seller.
With that kind of cynicism, why do anything?
Because eventually you have to just trust people, and trust iis nearly always rewarded. I've certainly made errors selling and in my business career. As a matter of course I correct first and figure out later.
Reminds me of many board games where I realized I was going to lose in like 5+ moves and there was nothing I could do about it, only for the opponent to take a different path. What you gotta do is lay down some red herrings that will negate that solution for them.
I suggested exactly that - do everything you can, understanding that in the extreme, all protections you might think of depend on the honesty of the buyer.
01-17-2010, 06:50 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ed n Georgia Quote
You can leave negative feedback for the buyer. Just because it says "positive" doesn't mean you have to write something positive.
Actually, that's exactly what it means. Leaving a positive feedback with a negative comment is a violation of eBay Terms of Service and will get you banned.

01-17-2010, 06:57 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Actually, that's exactly what it means. Leaving a positive feedback with a negative comment is a violation of eBay Terms of Service and will get you banned.
Could be. But, I've found more than enough feedback that wasn't positive to influence my sale. Not saying I've left any, however.
01-17-2010, 07:07 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Could be. But, I've found more than enough feedback that wasn't positive to influence my sale. Not saying I've left any, however.
No, not could be. Definitely is. You can look it up in their policy section right now.
01-17-2010, 07:08 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No, not could be. Definitely is. You can look it up in their policy section right now.
Wallyb, I'm not arguing with you. You're correct. But, it happens frequently.
01-17-2010, 07:21 PM   #23
Veteran Member

eBay + paypal have set up a perfect world for scams. The buyer will always win even with bogus claims, and paypal will not do anything about it, no matter what the seller has to say about it. It's extremely unfortunate, but over the years I've just learned to cut my losses, save my time, and move on. This is what I would recommend, at least.

01-17-2010, 07:29 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Wallyb, I'm not arguing with you. You're correct. But, it happens frequently.
"Could be" is the conditional form of can + to be. It expresses doubt and disagreement. That's why I stressed that it was, in fact, against the rules. And yes, it may be done often, but that does not mean something that is in violation of policy should be recommended to a fellow forum member.