Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2007, 07:29 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nippon Kogaku (Nikon) Micro-Nikkor Auto 1:3.5 f=55mm vs. SMC Pentax-M 1:1.7 50mm

The fourth installment of the Normal Lens Shootout! This time I compared one of my Nikon lenses, this one is unmodified yet still fits on the Pentax.
Match 4

From the conclusion:
"As an end note, neither of these lenses was as good as I had hoped. This turned out to be a battle of okay, but not exceptional, lenses."

Enjoy!

06-23-2007, 07:47 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Carpents, interesting comparision. Really enjoyed it. Where do you get these Pentax bayonets to fit onto Nikon lenses? Do order them as parts or scavenge them from soething else?
thanks
barondla
06-23-2007, 05:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Sean, another great analysis. Comprehensive and easy to read. Obviously you are very into bokeh quality. I wonder how you manage to see "axial colour" though ...

Cheers

James
06-23-2007, 07:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Sean, another great analysis. Comprehensive and easy to read. Obviously you are very into bokeh quality. I wonder how you manage to see "axial colour" though ...

Cheers

James
Hi James!

I have to apologize for not showing that more clearly. I took many more shots with both lenses but threw them away because the focus point was off or there were exposure issues in the set. The 50/1.7s show noticeable green fringes at f/2.8 and wider, and can be provoked at other apertures with difficult subjects. But I have to agree, there is little in any of the posted samples to demonstrate it.

I'll be sure to include more samples in future tests!

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Carpents, interesting comparision. Really enjoyed it. Where do you get these Pentax bayonets to fit onto Nikon lenses? Do order them as parts or scavenge them from soething else?
thanks
barondla
The old non-AI Nikkors won't mount to modern Nikon bodies, but they fit inside the Pentax K mount without modification. Some lenses work better than others, which is why I started manually converting them to K mount. It essentially involves removing the F mount and installing a donor K mount (mine are M42-to-K adapters with the wide flange on them.

In other words, it is my own tinkering - not an actual product!

Thanks guys for looking!

--Sean