Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2010, 11:04 PM   #1
Pentaxian

How to identify Tomioka-made lenses?

Hey all,

I recently acquired a bunch of 50,55mm f1.4 lenses off Ebay. The brands are Sears, Mamiya/Sekor, Ricoh/Rikenon and Revuenon. Some sellers claim their lens is made my Tomioka some don't.

My question is how do we know for sure that a given lens is made by Tomioka? Is there a serial number convention like Vivitar or something else?

Thanks,

01-17-2010, 01:05 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Conventional wisdom is that Rikenon and most Sears (rebranded Ricoh) from the mid-late 60s and early 70s are Tomioka along with Yashinon and maybe Fujinon of the same vintage (all of the "-nons" ??). According to Ron Herron (Mamiya expert), Mamiya made their own lenses. It should be noted that Sears/Sekor lenses were made for Sears-labeled Mamiya cameras and were presumably made by Mamiya.

Notice that I said "conventional wisdom". There are other, respected, members on this forum who believe that Tomioka made the Mamiya/Sekor lenses as well.

As for serial numbers or other clues...there are none that I am aware of. The whole business of who made what in the 60s through the mid-80s is pretty foggy sometimes. Tight relationships as well as technology and manufacturing sharing occurred between many makers of both cameras and lenses. One of the best examples are the various Copal "Square" shutter bodies made by Nikon, Ricoh, Mamiya, Cosina, etc.. While the Ricoh variants are the best known, the design (and probably the tooling) was used by each of the other brands.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-17-2010 at 01:14 AM.