Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2010, 11:37 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Need words of wisdom from users of T-mount adapter for K mount.

I thought this would be simple. Little did I know…

I want to buy a T-mount adapter for my still-on-order K-x. In another forum someone suggested the Celestron adapter, having used it for a couple years with no trouble. I thought, “Great! Done deal!” But then I found a review on the B&H site and the reviewer said that the Celestron deformed after light use.

I then realized that Celestron isn’t making these things…they’re just buying them from a supplier, so who knows how good (or bad) the next batch will be?

I don’t want problems. I don’t want an adapter that’s get stuck to my camera, won’t come off my telescope, or cause any other damage. I’ve already read several accounts of adapters getting stuck on equipment, so I’m here hoping to get words of wisdom from those who have lived it.

Currently, my somewhat questionable plan is to buy an adapter from ebay, where I can be assured the adapter is made in Japan instead of Taiwan (the Celestron says Taiwan on it, btw.) I’m being blatantly stereotypical, and deciding that adapters made in Japan are superior to all others. What I would love is for someone to say, “I know what you’re going through…been there myself. Buy this adapter from this place and you won’t have any troubles.”

All comments are appreciated. Thanks.

01-17-2010, 12:07 PM   #2
Inactive Account

I bought 3 of these, T-MOUNT FOR PENTAX K MOUNT - eBay (item 390138949653 end time Feb-02-10 09:32:00 PST)
And I've never had a problem. And I've used them with my film and DSLR, K200D with grip.
01-17-2010, 12:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
T-mount adapters never get stuck. They don't reside inside the body, flush with the mount, like a proper M42 mount will. Buy the cheapest T mount adapter and you'll be fine.
01-17-2010, 12:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have several T mount adapters, some made in Japan some made elsewhere. I have never had any problems with any of them. The Japanese ones I have are margianlly better made than the other (unmarked) ones but they all work perfectly. The only time I have come across T mount adapters getting stuck was when they were forced in the wrong way round.

01-17-2010, 06:36 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the quick replies.

A concern of mine that I didn't spell out is that of poorly cut threads. I have a T-mount eyepiece adapter which I screw onto a T-mount/58mm ring so that I can afocally couple my compact to my scope. Even though all the piece are metal, the eyepiece adapter doesn't screw into the ring all that smoothly, and sometimes it gets stuck.

On the other hand...the Nikon adapters I have for attaching my compact to my Nikon spotting scope...well...those are smooth as silk when threading on and off.

So I'm gonna go for the Japanese model, but it's good to know that I'm unlikely to have any troubles regardless. Thanks again.
01-27-2010, 05:21 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I couldn't get a Japanese model so I ended up with one sold by Fotodiox for 10 bucks with free shipping on Amazon. Looks like a China made version. You guys were right...it's rough but good enough that I doubt it will give me any problems.

The seeing is terrible tonight, and I forgot how to zoom LiveView to check focus, and I was looking out a window to boot...but I was able to snap this "proof-of-concept" moon shot with my new K-x. It's been resized to 25%. With practice (and good seeing) I know I'll get much sharper images.