Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2007, 01:55 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax Limited 77

Lens is in... takes great pictures so far. Much easier than the 85 1.9 Takumar, as far as getting images in focus.

I do have a few questions on using the limited:

What's the best mode to use this image? AV?

I assume I set the aperture via the dial? When I do, the aperture does not indicate in the info for the picture - it always states 1.8.

When this lens is mounted, AutoFlash is disabled even if the dial is in auto pict mode - is this normal?

Thanks.

06-23-2007, 02:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Just leave the aperture ring on 'A'. Then you set the f-stop from the camera, just like any other autofocus lens (or A-series manual focus lens) Regarding mode, just use the same mode you normally use. Nothing special about the Limited in this regard. I use Av most of the time, and Manual when I'm using a flash.
06-23-2007, 02:28 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks.

I get the "duh award" for the day.
06-23-2007, 02:37 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by varnco Quote
Lens is in... takes great pictures so far. Much easier than the 85 1.9 Takumar, as far as getting images in focus.
It isn't easier to get images in focus with the 77. It is almost exactly the same. If you are seeing differences at the same aperture values using the same technique then I would say any differences are due to simple statistical probability.

I hope you have better luck with the auto-focusing and easier-to-use 77 than you did with the 85.

06-24-2007, 02:51 PM   #5

Original Poster
Well, for me, autofocus=easier.

My eyes are getting old.
06-24-2007, 11:47 PM   #6
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Get a split-prism focusing screen I have one and its great! Nice not to have to rely on the auto focus which, altho often right, can make mistakes where a split prism wont.
06-25-2007, 12:03 AM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
Get a split-prism focusing screen I have one and its great! Nice not to have to rely on the auto focus which, altho often right, can make mistakes where a split prism wont.
What screen are you using? I've heard there was a Nikon screen that fits the K10D but have so far been unable to get any details and where it's available.
06-25-2007, 12:07 AM   #8
and
Veteran Member

Ive got the Nikon K3 screen. I got it from ebay but it didnt seem like the seller had any more of them. I dont know if it has been cut of if it just fit out of the box. It does fit perfectly and it has the tab where you can grab on with the tweezers that came supplied with it to install it in the camera.

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
What screen are you using? I've heard there was a Nikon screen that fits the K10D but have so far been unable to get any details and where it's available.

06-28-2007, 03:25 PM   #9

Original Poster
K3 screen fits pentax?
06-28-2007, 07:09 PM   #10
and
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by varnco Quote
K3 screen fits pentax?
Errr, unfortunately I cant answer that. I got mine off ebay from some seller that was just selling that 1 screen, not someone who was pushing a lot of them. And I cant remember if it had been cutted to fit or not, I _think_ it might have been. So I dont want to tell anyone to just get a new km3 and then they come back angry at me because it didnt fit.

There is someone on ebay selling the k1000 screen to fit k10d though, maybe thats worth checking out. I just love split prism! but the katz eye is priced way too high imo, some ebay alternatives like that k1000 screen and someone using a minolta screen are much more affordable and makes it worth dropping a small sum of money on it to see if it works well.

If you want to find out if the km3 fits then I suppose with a lot of google'ing it could be possible to get the measurements of both screens and compare them.

As for the performance of the screen I can briefly summarize that it works great and without any exposure problems, as long as the lens is fast, I dont know exactly how fast it has to be to avoid any problems but I can vouch for f2.8 working great and f5.6 working not-so-great to terrible depending on the lens used. With a sigma zoom I have that is f3.5 on the wide and and 5.6 on the long end it works fine on the wide end but on the long end its terrible and I need to put +3 ev just to get it somewhat back to normal and then I cant + the ev any more if I need to either.

But I guess its common knowledge that split prisms are for fast lenses.
06-28-2007, 08:15 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks for the info.

I must say, I'm loving my 77, but will probably end up getting a split screen as well for manual exposure.