Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2010, 08:40 AM   #1

Question about the pancakes lens

How come the aperture in the 3 pancakes is bigger when the focal length is higher, but in zooms, it's the inverse?
It's 21mm/3.2, 40mm/2.8 and 70mm/2.4 but the kit lens has 18mm/3.5 to 55mm/5.6.
In fact almost all zoom lenses are that way(or fixed aperture, I never seen any inverted aperture in zooms but I guess it doesn't mean it doesn't exist), so why is it inverted in prime pancakes?

01-18-2010, 09:45 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would be willing to bet that the optical corrections needed to make larger apertures in a "pancake format" lens would be impossible at larger apertures.

Lens design is a trade off.

note in variable aperture zooms, you have different limits, and part of the design is a function of where in the optical path the aperture is placed, but another part is that eventually, the diameter of the front element can be a limiting factor, as a result, as you zoom the aperture increases because focal length gets longer but the diameter of the element is fixed.
01-18-2010, 10:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't think it's for any particular reason, it's just the lens design Pentax thought would best fit each of those limited lenses.
01-19-2010, 01:26 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A zoom is *always* a lower f-number aperture at the wide end, a f-number is a ratio: actual size of aperture in mm divided into focal length. Sure, constant aperture zooms perform optical trickery to get around that, but there's no getting around the fact that since the physical aperture of the lens stays constant, a zoom is always going to "want" to have a lower maximum number at short focal lengths. It's simple math, and is completely unrelated to what might happen when comparing different primes. If Pentax happens to make the 40 a lower maximum f-number than their 21, that their business - they can make whatever pertures they want. It's only zooms where simple math requires lower f-numbers at the wide end without the optical trickery necessary to achieve constant aperture. BTW, I'm not using "optical trickery" in a negative sense here - just observing that the natural order of things is for the the wide end to have a lower max f-number, because the physical aperture is constant, and it takes effort to defat this (just as it takes "aerodynamic trickery" to make a heavier-than-air object like an airplane fly).

As far as the primes go, I'd say the general truism is that 50mm lenses tend to be the fastest for a given size or price point, and then maximum aperture tend to get smaller (f-numbers higher) as you go to larger of smaller focal lengths. If we imagined the DA* 55/1.4 was available in a smaller "DA Limited" form that was, say, f/2, then we could see this progression happening with the DA series too.

01-29-2010, 06:56 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
....Snip...
It's only zooms where simple math requires lower f-numbers at the wide end without the optical trickery necessary to achieve constant aperture. BTW, I'm not using "optical trickery" in a negative sense here - just observing that the natural order of things is for the the wide end to have a lower max f-number, because the physical aperture is constant, and it takes effort to defat this (just as it takes "aerodynamic trickery" to make a heavier-than-air object like an airplane fly).
I'm curious though as to why the wide end of a constant zoom doesn't have a larger aperture value. Is it all about the positioning of the aperture in the lens?
01-29-2010, 07:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
I'm curious though as to why the wide end of a constant zoom doesn't have a larger aperture value. Is it all about the positioning of the aperture in the lens?
you would need a bigger glass, which makes it more expensive and a burden to carry.
01-29-2010, 08:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
A zoom is *always* a lower f-number aperture at the wide end, a f-number is a ratio: actual size of aperture in mm divided into focal length.
The f-number is the ratio of the focal length divided by size of the entrance pupil.

Here: Entrance pupil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Basically, it's the image of the aperture stop as seen through the front of the lens. Not the actual aperture.
01-29-2010, 09:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
you would need a bigger glass, which makes it more expensive and a burden to carry.
Yeah, but if you've got, say, 135mm / 2.8, you get a 48mm actual physical aperture. (Or would, if the lens was simple instead of many elements.) That implies that if the same aperture were open all the way at 50mm, you'd have an f/1.03 lens.

So there's two possibilities: one (which goes to what you're saying), if the lens were really f/1, the light falloff and distortion at the corner would be unreasonably ugly, so the aperture is physically limited opening less at 50mm to keep the image quality decent. Or two, the design is such that the aperture really is only able to open physically to what works out to be 17.9mm when zoomed out.