Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2010, 04:47 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Budget Tilt Shift for School!

Hi everyone!

I'm part of my school's video club and we are wanting to get a tilt shift lens for some quick sports videos.
Now since my K-x shoots video, we were planning to build one for super cheap.
I know we need a Pentax medium-format lens, some tubing and etc.

Does anyone know of some cheap options? Also, is anyone willing to sell or donate any old lenses for the cause? (If you donated, we'd gladly pay shipping!)

Has anyone here had any experience with tilt shift?

Thanks for your time,

Shub

01-18-2010, 06:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Doesn't need to be Pentax; just a medium format lens (or even large format). So just go for the cheapest ones you can find.

My guess is that all things equal, Mamiya medium format lenses go for the cheapest.
01-19-2010, 02:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

If you exclude Lensbabies, the cheapest solution is to use a medium format lens in Pentacon Six mount with a $129 tilt or $120 shift adapter from Arax Photo. You can get a brand new MC Mir-26, 3.5/45 from Arax for $229, or for less money a second hand Flektogon 50/4, or even cheaper, a Mir-38B 65/3.5 or Volna-3 80/2.8 from eBay.

Cheers!

Abbazz
01-19-2010, 06:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Build a Tilt-Shift Camera Lens for Peanuts | CreativePro.com

(It's a curiosity, but I'm not recommending this though.)

01-19-2010, 06:21 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
what about picking up an old bellows and macro system and canabalizing it.
01-19-2010, 07:29 AM   #6
Inactive Account

It seems to me that for video it is important that the tilt/shift can be locked in place.

Which do you want? Tilt or shift? If one or the other, approaches might be easier than if you want both at the same time.

I think there are ball-joint plumbing fixtures for drains that might work well for DIY tilt applications.
01-19-2010, 10:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote

A variation of the DIY bellows idea using mini ballheads to lock the lens and camera into position:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/24004-my-self-...t-bellows.html

FWIW, for non-macro work you are going to want a much shorter bellows (even with a medium format lens). Maybe a bag bellows instead of an accordion.

Last edited by troyz; 01-19-2010 at 10:18 AM.
01-19-2010, 11:34 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
If you exclude Lensbabies, the cheapest solution is to use a medium format lens in Pentacon Six mount with a $129 tilt or $120 shift adapter from Arax Photo. You can get a brand new MC Mir-26, 3.5/45 from Arax for $229, or for less money a second hand Flektogon 50/4, or even cheaper, a Mir-38B 65/3.5 or Volna-3 80/2.8 from eBay.

Cheers!

Abbazz
Thanks for the links. I was looking for something super budget like others have done. I've seen the entire project done for under $50 and this is a just for fun thing. Otherwise, we would buy a lensbaby :P

QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote

Thanks, I've looked at that article among various other articles. I am trying to think of which one to follow.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
what about picking up an old bellows and macro system and canabalizing it.
Could you provide a link? I was thinking I could also have used extension tubes, but no idea where the tilt would be there. I think it's probably going to be some bellows then.

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
It seems to me that for video it is important that the tilt/shift can be locked in place.

Which do you want? Tilt or shift? If one or the other, approaches might be easier than if you want both at the same time.

I think there are ball-joint plumbing fixtures for drains that might work well for DIY tilt applications.
Yes, photos will be on the side (for my personal uses :P) but videos are the school requirement part of it. I think tilt and shift at the same time would be what we're looking for. How would it be easier in that way?

QuoteOriginally posted by troyz Quote
A variation of the DIY bellows idea using mini ballheads to lock the lens and camera into position:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/24004-my-self-...t-bellows.html

FWIW, for non-macro work you are going to want a much shorter bellows (even with a medium format lens). Maybe a bag bellows instead of an accordion.
I saw that picture online, thanks for the link. It looks really tricky, because it seems professionally done. If we could make something like that, it would be amazing! And yeah, I learned something online about holding it detached in front of the camera and moving it farther/closer until the image through the lens appears focused through the viewfinder. Have you heard anything about that?

And thanks everyone for the tips/suggestions! Greatly appreciated!
Anyone have any specific suggestions on a lens or have experience with this, please let me know as well!

01-22-2010, 06:13 PM   #9

Original Poster
BUMP. And are all Mamiya lenses medium format? Same with Pentacon?
01-22-2010, 06:59 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Shub Quote
BUMP. And are all Mamiya lenses medium format? Same with Pentacon?
No such luck.

Mamiya has both medium-format and 35mm lenses, the latter in both Mamiya bayonet mount and M42 screwmount.

Pentacon also has multiple mounts, including medium-format bayonet, "Pentacon Six" breech-lock mount, and M42 screwmount.

The tilt or shift adapters commonly found on eBay are Pentacon Six.
01-22-2010, 08:21 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Take a look at this thread: Manual Focus Lenses :: View topic - My first home-made tilt/shift lens, serial #: P0001

Unfortunately, he didn't show how he did it but he only posted today.

Last edited by Blue; 01-22-2010 at 08:27 PM.
01-24-2010, 12:54 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
No such luck.

Mamiya has both medium-format and 35mm lenses, the latter in both Mamiya bayonet mount and M42 screwmount.

Pentacon also has multiple mounts, including medium-format bayonet, "Pentacon Six" breech-lock mount, and M42 screwmount.

The tilt or shift adapters commonly found on eBay are Pentacon Six.
Alright thanks a lot. I'm trying to search out medium format lenses on eBay but it's not working too well for me.
The mount does not matter, as the lens will not actually touch the camera, the bellows/whatever I use for it will.

And thanks, I've seen the tilt or shift adapters but they're fairly expensive.

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Take a look at this thread: Manual Focus Lenses :: View topic - My first home-made tilt/shift lens, serial #: P0001

Unfortunately, he didn't show how he did it but he only posted today.
Thanks a lot for the link. Reading through the post, it seems he's keeping the steps used to make it fairly hush, but I'll try to see if he reveals more soon.

It's good to see a recent link, shows I'm not alone!
01-24-2010, 01:32 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What is your intended subject for your tilt shift system? This can have a large effect as a tilt shift system using medium / large format lenses will involve a relatively long focal length lens, giving you a narrow field of view. If you need a wide field of view then you may be able to use a 35mm wide angle lens but this will really limit the available movements. I have bult a tilt shift system using a 35mm view camera for my DSLR (see here https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/80872-ilford-m...onversion.html) but it will only work with lenses with a back focal distance greater than 75mm.
01-24-2010, 01:33 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Coupl'a thoughts:

Plastic rear lens and camera body mounts - drill out the centers.

Two shallow, nested hemispheres of a ball make a rotary flex joint.

Check for used Mamiya 645 lenses - 55-80-150mm often $50-60. (Stuck aperture blades can usually be ressurected in an hour with lighter fluid after unscrewing the optics.)

Those little flex-leg table-top tripods for P&S cameras make flex support rods. Combine two or three with tops of 3-4 black socks and caps. Four legs is too stiff.

Replace the center rod in a single-rail bellows with a Joby Gorilla-pod or flex tripod leg - heat shrink sleeves and silicon sealer to fit ends.

Show us how it ends, please.

@ An' Matt, that's one impressive piece of gear! Nice conversion too.

H2

Last edited by pacerr; 01-24-2010 at 02:03 PM.
01-25-2010, 04:56 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MattGunn Quote
What is your intended subject for your tilt shift system? This can have a large effect as a tilt shift system using medium / large format lenses will involve a relatively long focal length lens, giving you a narrow field of view. If you need a wide field of view then you may be able to use a 35mm wide angle lens but this will really limit the available movements. I have bult a tilt shift system using a 35mm view camera for my DSLR (see here https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/80872-ilford-m...onversion.html) but it will only work with lenses with a back focal distance greater than 75mm.
Hi Matt,

The intended subject is probably a lot of students at, say, a basketball game or something like it. What I'm going for is the "miniature" effect. I'm not sure if I'll need a wide or narrow field of view for this.
And as for your creation, it looks amazing! How long did that take?

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Coupl'a thoughts:

Plastic rear lens and camera body mounts - drill out the centers.

Two shallow, nested hemispheres of a ball make a rotary flex joint.

Check for used Mamiya 645 lenses - 55-80-150mm often $50-60. (Stuck aperture blades can usually be ressurected in an hour with lighter fluid after unscrewing the optics.)

Those little flex-leg table-top tripods for P&S cameras make flex support rods. Combine two or three with tops of 3-4 black socks and caps. Four legs is too stiff.

Replace the center rod in a single-rail bellows with a Joby Gorilla-pod or flex tripod leg - heat shrink sleeves and silicon sealer to fit ends.

Show us how it ends, please.

@ An' Matt, that's one impressive piece of gear! Nice conversion too.

H2
@Pacerr

Can you explain what you mean with
Plastic rear lens and camera body mounts - drill out the centers?

Thanks, I'm looking up the Mamiya lenses on eBay, thanks for the lighter fluid suggestion.

And as for the tripod legs, sounds like an amazing idea! Never thought of that before!

Thanks again, and of course I'll show it once it's finished.