Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2010, 12:37 AM   #31

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
I actually bought a Vivitar s1 135/2.3 in nikon mount (and sanded off the AI lips on the aperture ring) just to stave off this region of LBA.
I would love to see some photos taken with this lens. Have you posted to the 135mm club started by Douglas_of_Sweden?

05-18-2010, 09:54 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'll be sure to post some next chance I get to go shoot! Pentax needs to look at some of their legacy star lenses and update them!
05-27-2010, 08:02 AM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You guys sucker punched me: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/102809-*-135-1...ellz-yeah.html
05-27-2010, 10:20 AM   #34

Please, give me your suggestion, an opinion.
PLG SMC Pentax-A* 135mm 1:1.8 vs Voigtländer Macro APO-Lanthar 125mm F2.5 SL
According to you, the difference between the Voigtlander and Pentax is so much??
By link that I posted on top
It seems that pentax has a scrap in comparison.

Help!!

Ps:
is it true that the Pentax, is difficult to use, at the level of focus??

05-27-2010, 08:36 PM   #35

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bollicina31 Quote
Please, give me your suggestion, an opinion.
PLG SMC Pentax-A* 135mm 1:1.8 vs Voigtländer Macro APO-Lanthar 125mm F2.5 SL
According to you, the difference between the Voigtlander and Pentax is so much??
By link that I posted on top
It seems that pentax has a scrap in comparison.

Help!!

Ps:
is it true that the Pentax, is difficult to use, at the level of focus??
I'm unable to access the link you posted. However, I can offer some comments based on my usage of the A*135 and also what I've read and seen of the VL125. I think the two strongest points of the VL125 are its lack of CA, including bokeh CA (no doubt this is due to its true APO design), as well as its macro capabilities.

As for the A*135, it is incredibly sharp and surprisingly resistant to flare even wide open, and this makes its largest apertures very useful (in fact, I don't even bother with a hood, though I probably should look into getting one). So the f1.8-2.2 f-stop range is definitely a real advantage over the VL125 (it's not just for bragging rights) - that's a 1-stop advantage, by the way.

The only weakness of the A*135 is bokeh CA (I have not been able to detect any lateral CA), however whether this occurs and to what magnitude is highly dependent on the scene and lighting conditions, as well as f-stop used. When bokeh CA does occur, you can usually get rid of it by stopping down to f2.5-2.8. So at common apertures, the VL125's CA performance advantage might not be that great.

I've seen a "brick wall" test between the two that showed the A*135 to be noticeably sharper, especially below f4, but I'm hesitant to draw too many conclusions based on this one test. I know there are a few folks who own or have owned both lenses, and it would be nice to hear from them.

Overall, both the A*135 and VL125 belong to the legendary class of lenses and they are my top picks in this FL. You can't go wrong with either one.

To give you an idea of the level of excellency we are dealing with here, 16-9.net was blown away by the corner performance of the A*85 when compared against the Canon EF85/1.2L MkII, and some say that the A*135 is even better than its shorter brother.

Oh yeah, as for MF focus - I find the A*135 easier to obtain accurate focus than my A50/1.4. However, I am looking to get a split-prism screen to help speed up my MF.
05-27-2010, 10:58 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photogerald Quote
To give you an idea of the level of excellency we are dealing with here, 16-9.net was blown away by the corner performance of the A*85 when compared against the Canon EF85/1.2L MkII, and some say that the A*135 is even better than its shorter brother.
there were discussions that the old or first and 2nd generation C/FD 85/1.2 are better than the newer ones. the 85mm and q35 CZ equivalent can be said the same. the 135 CZ is better than it's shorter counterpart.

QuoteQuote:
Oh yeah, as for MF focus - I find the A*135 easier to obtain accurate focus than my A50/1.4. However, I am looking to get a split-prism screen to help speed up my MF.
this is due to the 50/1.4's much shallower DOF. a splitscreen and magnified eyepiece will help you a lot with MF.
05-28-2010, 12:10 AM   #37
Veteran Member

I recently read the test you are referring to (the page seems down at the moment).

What struck me was that the A135/1.8 photos where all out of focus, you could also see in the stopped down photos that the DOF was not in the same area as with the VL125. It was noticeably front focused if I remember correctly, thus the test really only shows the difference in CA where the VL125 is the clear winner.

The slightest missfocus makes a big difference not only in wide open shots but also stopped down quite a few stops. I did this mistake myself when comparing three 50mm lenses, this was only a very slight missfocus but you can see the result clearly.

The test

Notice how the shot at 1.2 (which is in focus) is not surpassed until f/4 in the series that was slightly out of focus.