Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2010, 02:02 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Old 2X Vivitar TC with new Pentax DA L lenses

I have a very old 2x Vivitar TC. If I am willing to sacrifice AF, can I use it with a DA L 55-300mm?

When I mount the combo, I get no AE reading at all. Can someone please advise.
Thanks
Arijit

01-19-2010, 11:30 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is this the Vivitar 2X-22? If the TC doesn't have electrical contacts, it "converts" your lens into a basic K-mount lens: no AF and no camera control of aperture. With a DA lens and no aperture ring, I think the aperture is stuck at its minimum value, f22 or worse. So it would be not very useful.
01-19-2010, 12:10 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
better (althoug not much perhaps) to get a Takumar - A teleconverter
01-19-2010, 10:42 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Vivitar TC

The TC says PKA.

It has electrical contacts but the Kx does not read either the 18-55mm or the 55-300mm lenses (DA L).

When I attach my Sigma 28mm I at least get AE with green button. When I mount the same lens with the TC Zilch! I get nothing.

Is there a way to bye pass this problem?

Looking for a 1.4X but not easy to come by in India.

Also I have been told I will lose 2 stops of exposure with a 2x converter. So when a combo is mounted the aperture ring at 5.6 means 2.8? Am I right or is it the other way around?

Thanks,

Arijit

Last edited by ariban; 01-19-2010 at 10:44 PM. Reason: incomplete
01-19-2010, 11:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

A friend of mine let me have her old Vivitar 2x macro teleconverter, and I have experienced similar limitations. Due to the lack of aperture ring on the DA L kit lenses, there seems to be no way to alter the aperture except using M mode, which causes it to completely stop down, or Av mode, which causes it to go wide open. So far, I've only been able to use it in Av mode hand held, which although makes the image quite soft, seems to me mildly usable as the metering appears to work. In M mode however, the metering appears to be off by a few stops and I can only get results using a tripod and very long exposures.

Strange that yours can't recognize the DA L's at all, but does fine with the sigma?