Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2010, 03:58 PM   #16

Original Poster
The Tamron is ordered. Should have it here by this weekend. 1StopCamera doesn't have them in stock at that price, there is a 2-3 week wait. They call that Special Order.

So I went with Photo4less...

01-19-2010, 04:01 PM   #17
Damn Brit

Maybe you could look at getting your camera equipment covered on your house insurance (or separately). Considering the cost of returning for repairs, replacement is probably always going to be cheaper, especially if you can get it covered.
01-19-2010, 04:36 PM   #18
Veteran Member

My credit card has a "you break" guarantee/insurance/perk. I think it is 90 days from purchase without any sign up or restrictions. Any idea if you might be covered?

Thank you
Russell
01-20-2010, 12:11 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, if you want a used 18-250mm that's in really good shape, take a look at my listing.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/82585-sale-ta...3-5-6-3-a.html

02-09-2010, 10:31 AM   #20

Original Poster
I bought the tamron lens, and she's happy with it. NOw I got another prob.

I used the sensor clean mode to try to get a grease smear off the sensor, and when I was done the shutter stuck shut. So camera body is going to Arizona, two countries north of here.

in the meantime, we want to buy another camera body so we don't have to do without the DSLR for the 3-5 wks. Pentax says it will take to fix the Kx. Be good to have a backup camera where we live, anyhow.

Any advice on what the cheapest Pentax body is that I can get that will work with all the same lenses as the Kx?

I would be REALLY interested in a DSLR that I can get an underwater housing for. I've gone through two Olympus SW stylus, in two years, and am now on a Pentax OPTIO W80. But now I realize that when they say underwater point and shoot....they really don't mean it. Waterproof is japanese for splashproof.

Any input on the best body only to use as backup and underwater camera?
02-09-2010, 01:49 PM   #21
Forum Member

I believe the *ist DL is a decent replacement/backup body, that can be found at a good price, I paid well below $100 for mine here in Sweden. Or maybe a faulty K10D/K100D that's fixable with a screwdriver and some elbow grease?
02-09-2010, 02:09 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gringo Quote
I bought the tamron lens, and she's happy with it. NOw I got another prob.

I used the sensor clean mode to try to get a grease smear off the sensor, and when I was done the shutter stuck shut. So camera body is going to Arizona, two countries north of here.

in the meantime, we want to buy another camera body so we don't have to do without the DSLR for the 3-5 wks. Pentax says it will take to fix the Kx. Be good to have a backup camera where we live, anyhow.

Any advice on what the cheapest Pentax body is that I can get that will work with all the same lenses as the Kx?

I would be REALLY interested in a DSLR that I can get an underwater housing for. I've gone through two Olympus SW stylus, in two years, and am now on a Pentax OPTIO W80. But now I realize that when they say underwater point and shoot....they really don't mean it. Waterproof is japanese for splashproof.

Any input on the best body only to use as backup and underwater camera?
Any Pentax DSLR will work with your lenses. That's the beauty of the K-mount loyalty from Pentax IMO.

02-09-2010, 02:18 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Any Pentax DSLR will work with your lenses. That's the beauty of the K-mount loyalty from Pentax IMO.

This is true but he is looking for a model that has an available underwater housing on the market.
I think most flagship Pentax cameras bodies have waterproof housings available for them.
Try and google.

02-10-2010, 08:19 AM   #24

Original Poster
thanks for the advice. I am trying to order a K2000, body only. Found one for $ 329, was the best I could do.

And I have been totally unable to find any decent underwater housings for any Pentax DSLRs. Not sure why, there are scads of them for the other brands. But apparently not Pentax.
02-10-2010, 04:06 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gringo Quote
I used the sensor clean mode to try to get a grease smear off the sensor, and when I was done the shutter stuck shut.
I can't help but ask - how in the world did you get a grease smear on the sensor???? I've heard of dust specs, but grease??? Wow.
02-10-2010, 05:12 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
My credit card has a "you break" guarantee/insurance/perk. I think it is 90 days from purchase without any sign up or restrictions. Any idea if you might be covered?

Thank you
Russell
Mine too, I was gonna suggest the same thing. But since the OP is not in the US, it might be different.
02-10-2010, 05:14 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
I can't help but ask - how in the world did you get a grease smear on the sensor???? I've heard of dust specs, but grease??? Wow.
Actually, didn't Canon have a problem with one of the earlier versions of the 1D series bodies with a grease problem? It might have been the 5D but it was one of them....first time I ever read about grease in a Pentax body though...heck, or any other body for that matter...