Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2010, 09:40 AM   #1

Lens hood for k-x DAL lenses?

Just read that the da-l lenses on the k-x kit don't come with lens hoods.
I looked on Amazon, and as well as the poor user reviews for most of the lens hoods they also cost a surprising amount for something which should cost about 5c to produce.

On the Olympus (all I know about) the lens hood twists on with a half turn, and can be stored on the lens backwards when not needed. Quite handy.

I am reading that the Pentax hoods need to be threaded on with a fine thread onto the lens or filter.

Are there quick fit type hoods like the Oly ones available?

Are there reasonably priced lens hoods - i.e. not $30. that are any good?

thanks,
ken

01-19-2010, 10:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Pentax hood are not threaded not unless they are the old kind.
They work much like the Olympus lenses you mentioned and mount bayonet style and you can also mount them backwards.
The hood for the DA 18-55mm will also fit the DA L version.
They only omitted this (and a couple of other features) to make the DA L lenses affordable.
You can buy the hoods made by third party manufacturers on Ebay or try to google.
Hood is PH-RBA 52.
Attached Images

01-19-2010, 11:42 AM   #3
Damn Brit

Moved to lens forum.
01-19-2010, 07:01 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks Gerry,

Still $15 for 0.5 cents worth of plastic is a pretty good deal for the manufacturer!

Am I misunderstanding something? Other than the lens hood you pointed out, all the other
ones on ebay seem to mount to a filter which seems pretty useless to me.

What would be the right hood for the 300mm da-l lens? It's a 58mm fitting for a filter, but I don't see any 58mm bayonet fitting hoods on ebay.......

01-20-2010, 12:56 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Why would screwing on be useless? Maybe not quite as convenient as the Pentax-specific bayonet, but hardly useless.
01-20-2010, 03:53 PM   #6

Original Poster
Perhaps a poor choice of words, but those filter threads are pretty fine so I can imagine it's "fiddly" versus a quick half twist setup.
Or am I wrong in that?
01-20-2010, 05:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kace Quote
Thanks Gerry,

Still $15 for 0.5 cents worth of plastic is a pretty good deal for the manufacturer!

Am I misunderstanding something? Other than the lens hood you pointed out, all the other
ones on ebay seem to mount to a filter which seems pretty useless to me.

What would be the right hood for the 300mm da-l lens? It's a 58mm fitting for a filter, but I don't see any 58mm bayonet fitting hoods on ebay.......
Well, that is how the world of business is.
If you take a look at it that way, then the DSLRs or the lenses are just some cheap piece of plastic too that has been coupled to some cheap pieces of glass and metal, but how come, they are expensive!??
The DA 18-55mm kit lens is cheaper than the DA limited lenses yet the DA limiteds have less plastic and glass than the kit lens?
See where your thinking is going?
It is all a matter of need and demand.
If you don't really need it and can't justify buying a piece of plastic for, say $15, then you are not the target market/customer for that product.
If you are already turned off by the price of the hood for the 18-55mm then how much more will you be turned off by the price of the 55-300mm hood?
Anyway, the hood for the DA-L 55-300mm is the same as the DA 55-300mm.
They are kinda hard to come by. I'm not sure about the letter code but the mount should be for 58mm.
You could take a look at the rubber hoods that fold down on the lens as those are much better than the flower hoods if you don't like constantly putting then on and taking them off.
Another option would be to sell your DA-L lenses and buy the DA equivalent as they all come with the lens hoods.
I bet you though that going this route would be a lot, lot more expensive than just buying the $15 lens hood.
I do hope you find what you are looking for and finally enjoy just shooting pix!
Good luck!
01-20-2010, 05:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kace Quote
Perhaps a poor choice of words, but those filter threads are pretty fine so I can imagine it's "fiddly" versus a quick half twist setup.
Or am I wrong in that?
Less fiddly if you don't have a hood!

01-20-2010, 07:52 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's somewhat "fiddly", but also much less likely to get knocked loose accidentally. Not a big deal either way.