Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2010, 05:42 PM   #1

Pentax M 50mm F/2 question

While on my search for a 50mm 1.7, I found a 50mm F2 for 27 bucks shipped so I scooped it up. I definitely know that the 1.7 would be much better, but none were in my price range at the moment. Was that a decent deal?(I hope so ) I only have the kit lens at the moment so Im starting to build up my lenses.

01-19-2010, 05:45 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is indeed a good deal if the lens condition is free of problem and cosmetically. If it comes with both original lens caps that is even better. A decent one with both lens caps easily demands around $40 or more with shipping extra.
01-19-2010, 05:50 PM   #3

Original Poster
Im going to guess its capless, but we'll see when it gets here.
01-21-2010, 07:54 AM   #4

Original Poster
Will this lens do better than the 18-55 kit lens for lower light shots? I really like taking pictures in the city at night of people walking, and was hoping this would do a little better than the kit lens in that aspect. Aside from being manual.

01-21-2010, 09:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by basso4735 Quote
Will this lens do better than the 18-55 kit lens for lower light shots? I really like taking pictures in the city at night of people walking, and was hoping this would do a little better than the kit lens in that aspect. Aside from being manual.
Well the answer is clearly yes in one sense - f2 is over 2 stops faster than the f5.6 which is what the kit lens manages at 50mm (from memory). Your challenge will not be so much exposure - you can take it a general way and stick to it for as long as you are pointing the camera in the same general direction; - your challenge will be getting the focus nailed manually.

The f2.0 is dirt cheap, relatively fast, not as good as the other 50s but hey who cares at that price? You will improve your technique, get the chance to get some shots in light conditions that the kit lens could not handle, and maybe end up with some great photos. Exactly that lens was the first prime I bought (overpriced as it happens).

The greatest problem you have is that it will edge you towards the slippery slope of buying more, better and pricier prime lenses.
01-21-2010, 10:26 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by timo Quote
Well the answer is clearly yes in one sense - f2 is over 2 stops faster than the f5.6 which is what the kit lens manages at 50mm (from memory). Your challenge will not be so much exposure - you can take it a general way and stick to it for as long as you are pointing the camera in the same general direction; - your challenge will be getting the focus nailed manually.
Focusing also gets trickier with less light. It's harder to see the exact point of focus. The camera's meter can be fooled by the uneven lighting you may find - a super-bright streetlight and a dim street, for example. The camera will also automatically and seamlessly switch from matrix to center-weighted, so it will work differently than you're used to.

QuoteQuote:
The f2.0 is dirt cheap, relatively fast, not as good as the other 50s but hey who cares at that price? You will improve your technique, get the chance to get some shots in light conditions that the kit lens could not handle, and maybe end up with some great photos. Exactly that lens was the first prime I bought (overpriced as it happens).

The greatest problem you have is that it will edge you towards the slippery slope of buying more, better and pricier prime lenses.
The main problem with the 50/2 is all the other 50s around, ones that you hear/know/think are/might be better. And you can buy them all for less than a DA*16-50.