Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2010, 05:08 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think you will get more use out of the zoom.

01-20-2010, 06:52 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Sigma 10-20 / 3.5 ?

Fastish, and I could imagine the extra width being very useful in kitchens.
01-20-2010, 08:21 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
Sigma 10-20 / 3.5 ?

Fastish, and I could imagine the extra width being very useful in kitchens.
BUT the distortion is much worse than the DA 12-24. In the case of someone taking interior photographs, the DA 12-25 would be a better choice for that reason.

PT Lens does a very good job, but does require user judgment for this particular form of distortion.

DxO software is much more expensive (US$150) but will automatically fix the distortion caused by the wide angle view. You can turn it on and off, depending on what you want to see. The DA12-24 is in the DxO arsenal, although the K-7 is not yet. If you are using a K-7, I would wait until the full module is available.
01-20-2010, 09:46 PM   #19
Veteran Member

A lot of suggestions to use an ultra wide zoom. Unfortunately it may not always be the right lens all the time. While the temptation to go with a lens that can go as wide as possible is there, one also has to factor in the exaggerated perspective that doesn't always convey the right proportions. Nobody is posting any photos so I'll illustrate with some examples using the DA 16-45mm.

01-21-2010, 09:44 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Eliminating distortion with DxO - 3 images

The first three images in this set on Flickr show what DxO can do with interior distortion. K10D + DA* 16-50.

DxO Distortion Tests - a set on Flickr
01-21-2010, 12:04 PM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
Denis,
Those photos are really lovely! No correction on them?
Canada Rockies...that's a pretty dramatic test. Can photoshop do the same thing?
doug
01-21-2010, 12:20 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dreilly Quote
Denis,
Canada Rockies...that's a pretty dramatic test. Can photoshop do the same thing?
doug
The perspective distortion is easily removed with any number of editing programs. The real deal with DxO is the second shot where all the curved walls are suddenly straight lines. DxO has tested the combo of k10d and da* 16-50 and several other lenses and bodies so far. All three of my DA lenses have been tested on the k10d. DxO knows the aperture and focal length used (from the EXIF data) along with rough focusing distance (seems to be < 1 meter and > 1 meter). With no input from me DxO just removed all the lens distortion. The lens distortion is the one where DxO really shines. PT Lens is pretty good as well, and a lot less money.

The third image, where all the perspective distortion is removed required me to draw two lines with the mouse, as with most software. Normally, I would have checked the auto crop and DxO would have removed the black bits at the top sides automatically while preserving as many pixels as possible but I wanted to show what DxO does more clearly.
01-21-2010, 06:40 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dreilly Quote
Denis,
doug
Thanks. These shots were not cropped nor processed for barrel or pincushion distortion at all. About the only time I used Photoshop to correct was a shot using the DA 21mm for a client friend. Sure there are times you may require correction for key stoning. Frankly I don't believe in wasting time tweaking distortion in software. Got better things to do... like going out and making money! It's not wrong to have distortion but it makes a big difference in how you compose and frame the subject. BTW for picture 2, the walls on the right are naturally curved.

Last edited by creampuff; 01-21-2010 at 06:48 PM.
01-21-2010, 06:59 PM   #24
Banned

I like using my 10-24mm Tamron for HDR interior shots.