Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2010, 09:17 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Raptorman Quote
This is interesting to hear, because I have been wondering why I can't get sun rays to expose. I can see it with my eye, so why can't the camera??

Heres a pic for reference, and by my eye, the ray was definetly seen clearer than this but it wasn't super dramatic. Is capturing something this subtle just not possible?
This might be a lens sharpness issue. What you're seeing as rays is light reflecting off dust in the air. If your lens isn't sharp enough, the dust isn't as obvious. Next time, you could try putting more dust in the air.

I always have trouble with rainbows - in photos they look pathetic. The last time was even worse, then I remembered the polarizer filter.

01-20-2010, 09:43 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Next time, you could try putting more dust in the air.
People all over the world will be envious of your photographs.
01-20-2010, 09:44 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Raptorman Quote
This is interesting to hear, because I have been wondering why I can't get sun rays to expose. I can see it with my eye, so why can't the camera??

Heres a pic for reference, and by my eye, the ray was definetly seen clearer than this but it wasn't super dramatic. Is capturing something this subtle just not possible?
I think this is an issue of perhaps a UV or skylight filter being attached. try withouot a filter and also boost the contrast of the photo and let the lighted windows burn out more.
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
This might be a lens sharpness issue. What you're seeing as rays is light reflecting off dust in the air. If your lens isn't sharp enough, the dust isn't as obvious. Next time, you could try putting more dust in the air.

I always have trouble with rainbows - in photos they look pathetic. The last time was even worse, then I remembered the polarizer filter.
Rainbows are easy, but use a polarizing filter on them . BTW a polarizer might work on the rays as well
01-21-2010, 10:57 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks, ya'll have been a big help so far.

Yes..the Samyang lens is a cheap ebay lens I bought and I'm not in the least surprised to hear that the sun ray exposure could be a sharpness issue. I can definetly say after some 1-200 shots with this lens since acquiring it recently it really isn't good for much except landscape and even then I don't know how big a print you can make with it due to its somewhat lacking performance in pretty much everything. You can in fact pick the lens up and shake it and it sounds like a can of beans.

All the rest of my glass is Pentax SMC M, Pentax SMC F, Quantaray, and a freebie Seikanon 28-80 lens that actually makes some really good photos.

Thinking I may just cut my losses and throw the Samyang in the trash. It was advertised as a fish eye lens (18-28 zoom) but it definetly doesn't do the whole round distortion thing.

Question though...with the Samyang, it doesn't seem like the focus ring really does much. Its like its dampened or something because you have to turn it a WHOLE lot just to get the focusing screen to even budge at all. Even when I get something in focus it doesn't look that sharp through the viewfinder.

Anybody have a under 100 dollar fisheye they would be willing to part with