Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2010, 11:20 PM   #91
tux
Forum Member

$654.00 AUD here in AU

02-03-2010, 09:10 PM   #92
Veteran Member

Puzzling thing about the FA35 to me is...when you could readily order them for $299 new (not so long ago, mind you) they seemed less "legendary" as now when people feel paying $400+ to be normal. I am glad I bought mine before the hype and price went through the roof.

Jason
02-03-2010, 09:54 PM   #93
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Puzzling thing about the FA35 to me is...when you could readily order them for $299 new (not so long ago, mind you) they seemed less "legendary" as now when people feel paying $400+ to be normal. I am glad I bought mine before the hype and price went through the roof.

Jason
same goes with the FA50/1.4 and DA40/2.8. if some of our forum members (particularly the new ones ) did their research well enough, they would had noticed the price hike with the other lenses as well (not just the other two that I mentioned). I just dont understand the "real price of a lens" argument that some people try to point out while neglecting or failing to point out the other lenses as well, this becomes no more than an statistical or mathematical error or rather a selective bias towards one lens which is obviously wanted by some people because they like it and they want to get it obviously cheap than how much it is selling.

there is no such thing as real price. it doesn't exist. there is only market price. other prices way outside the market price can either be considered as a rip-off price or a bargain or steal. $350 is market price, $400-$450 is open market, $1000 would clearlybe a rip-off. $200 is a bargain, and anything lower than that is a steal (if it's in excellent condition). again don't forget the status or condition of the lens as it affects it's market value. BN, mint, EX, fair, bad, etc...
heck, guys need to learn more about marketing.

I'm not against anyone who is trying to sell it high (but not too high) because it depends on the buyer if he would buy it at such price or offer a lower price, nor I'm against anyone who sells it cheaper. but please, spare me the real price argument, it's silly.

sorry about the ranting.
02-04-2010, 03:10 AM   #94
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Can't really say about prices, but its great to see satisfied lens owners, and there are many here. To me its priceless to see that a new owner is satisfied with a new purchase, whether its lens or anything else, and put it to good use.

It's vile to place a pricetag on something and then label it "real" or otherwise.

02-04-2010, 05:29 AM   #95
Loyal Site Supporter

As far as Pentax's pricing of the lens, I am sure that it is pure and simple that they realized that if they jacked the price of the FA31 up to 1200 dollars and kept the FA 35 at 250, there was no way that they would sell any more FA 31's, even if they are amazing lenses.
02-04-2010, 06:40 AM   #96
Veteran Member

Pentax didn't jack up the prices the exchange rates caused the prices to increase. In February 2007 the exchange rate was for every US dollar you would get 120 yen. Today for every US dollar you get 91 yen.

As for BH I doubt BH paid the seller of the FA35 more than $125 when they traded it in. So BH was able to sell it for $270 and still more than double their profit.
02-04-2010, 10:51 AM   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
Pentax didn't jack up the prices the exchange rates caused the prices to increase. In February 2007 the exchange rate was for every US dollar you would get 120 yen. Today for every US dollar you get 91 yen.

As for BH I doubt BH paid the seller of the FA35 more than $125 when they traded it in. So BH was able to sell it for $270 and still more than double their profit.
I guess they should blame the U.S. for it then.

kidding aside, eventhough it has to do partly with the exchange rate, I also believe that this is also an aggressive move by the Pentax Hoya management since they took over last year, I think. the exchange rate was way below than it is now when the whole market thing started crashing in 2007, so basing from the price hike that happened last year and to the exchange rate doesn't seem to add up if the prices in 2008 or earlier were cheaper, even if they were old stocks. although old stocks tend to be cheap as shown just earlier this year by a few sellers doing their annual inventory sale, but is still a bit more pricey than it was 2 or more years ago.
02-07-2010, 06:16 AM   #98

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
there is no such thing as real price.
Real price = R&D + raw material + labor + advertising + ... + margin

hoya decided to play with the margin lever and/or the "rarity effect".

02-07-2010, 06:27 AM   #99
Veteran Member

I could buy one here in Finland for 811eur. That's over 1100usd.
02-07-2010, 12:28 PM   #100
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxoid Quote
Real price = R&D + raw material + labor + advertising + ... + margin

hoya decided to play with the margin lever and/or the "rarity effect".
Pentaxoid, the term "real price" that you used is wrong. it's not a real price but rather production costs of the lens. the profit margin or price is then later set when it has been already determined by their marketing accountants which based it on marketing studies and statistics.

also you failed to include the law of supply and demand which plays an essential role in determining the "market price or value", not real price. there is no such thing as a real price but rather a market price which is dependent on the production costs + law of supply and demand that is not of a constant variable, thus the market price would rather go up and higher or down and under or up and down. your understanding of market price (not real price) seems to go with a concept of a flat-line market graph which is unrealistic.

the average consumer would not really put this into consideration nor would they understand such market factors. more often than not, you would see the complaining on how expensive the prices are and bitch about how life is unfair. well, welcome to earth.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 02-07-2010 at 02:28 PM.
02-07-2010, 12:48 PM   #101
juu
Veteran Member

I think perhaps Pentaxoid means 'fair price' instead of 'real price'. But that is a relative term unless competition is distorted. What's fair for one is unfair for another and there is always an option not to buy.
02-07-2010, 01:32 PM   #102
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by juu Quote
I think perhaps Pentaxoid means 'fair price' instead of 'real price'. But that is a relative term unless competition is distorted. What's fair for one is unfair for another and there is always an option not to buy.
juu, that is exactly what I was trying to point out. the usage of the term "real price" is erroneous or is a misconception. the right term is should be a "perceived fair price". but as you mentioned, perceived fair pricing can be distorted or varies from person to person. and a perceived fair price is totally different from market price.
02-07-2010, 02:05 PM   #103
Pentaxian

Could it be that new buyers are pushing prices up?

Its ironical that most of us are taking a little pride in Pentaxes advance in the marketplace, ala 10% in Japan, then we are complaining about the prices going up for new and used lenses. Duh, you think there might be a connection?

The silver lining is that the "tourist buyer" who wants the next best camera in 6 months, will be selling all his lenses and moving on, dumping more stock in ebay and B&H. We are also fortunate to have third party lens providers like Sigma and Tamron. They are helpful in keeping Pentax on their toes regarding lens opportunities.
02-07-2010, 03:36 PM   #104
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Its ironical that most of us are taking a little pride in Pentaxes advance in the marketplace, ala 10% in Japan, then we are complaining about the prices going up for new and used lenses. Duh, you think there might be a connection?

The silver lining is that the "tourist buyer" who wants the next best camera in 6 months, will be selling all his lenses and moving on, dumping more stock in ebay and B&H. We are also fortunate to have third party lens providers like Sigma and Tamron. They are helpful in keeping Pentax on their toes regarding lens opportunities.
You're so right about the "tourist buyers." Meanwhile, I wish Sigma would work on improving its 30mm f/1.4 prime. I also wish (perhaps even more so) that Tamron would introduce a lens like this. 28mm might even be a bit better. That would probably get Pentax's attention.