Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2010, 01:34 PM   #16
Veteran Member

I agree the bokeh is fine but is missing the pixi dust I see from say the 43ltd or my 77.

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
I have never really been bothered by the FA35's supposedly harsh bokeh, but I'm curious to know how the rendering could be changed ?

On topic: I bought mine brand new in the spring of 2007 (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/6542-lens-buyi...mm-f-2-al.html) for 419 CDN$ + taxes. Had to wait 9 weeks after ordering, while it made its way from Japan to Pentax Canada to my local shop. It was worth every cent I paid and every second I waited for it

01-20-2010, 02:26 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Free market works - if I list something for a ridiculous price, one of two things will happen:

1. It won't sell, and I bring the price down to a level when it sells.
2. Someone who is indifferent to price buys it.

Dictating what price one should sell it is like saying all stores should sell it at Walmart prices because they are the cheapest.
01-20-2010, 03:06 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
I agree the bokeh is fine but is missing the pixi dust I see from say the 43ltd or my 77.
also include the pixie dust of the 50/1.2 as well. I had tried both lenses at f2 opening and the rendering coming from both lenses are just simply night and day. the 50/1.2 btw is also marvelous at small apertures. the f4 results are just outstanding.
01-20-2010, 03:10 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
well, IMO, most of the people that are selling the FA35/2 in the marketplace are just pricing the FA35/2 just right. a used copy from $270-$350, maybe pushed to $380. a brand new copy sells for about $450-$500 nowadays I think which is fair. and was selling for $750 or $800 last year which is/was really insane. I dunno but I think some are selling it brand new at $750 again or Pentax seems to be planning on jacking up the price at that level this year.

Pentaxoid, I understand your sentiments and for someone who doesn't have a copy and wants one badly, it seems to be quite unfairly overpriced. mind you that other factors are also involved why such lens are sold for such amount of money. factors such as the law of suppy and demand. how often do we see such a lens being sold at the marketplace? and how many people are willing to buy such a lens for as much as 400+? also, how many people are willing to let go of their copy for a lesser price? as far as I know, there are only a few willing to give it up and they usually sell them for what they think is the lens' worth. for $400+, there are quite a few willing to pull the trigger on them.

besides, this is not just an ordinary F2 lens. it is a massively sharp F2 fast autofocus lens with an ideal 35mm focal length. and for some people, those lens characteristics are worth the lens' value. as far as the lens' supposed 2d rendering or harsh bokeh, I believe there is some way of solving that and making the lens' rendering much more flexible.
Not going into technical merits of any lens - price is what you pay, value is what you get. So, if one values a lens highly, they might be willing to pay a price upto the realization of that value. Same goes for concession stands at the movies - people buy popcorn at ridiculous prices, because there is no other option.

As someone pointed out - there might be outliers to the price, but economics and free market generally works (at least in most parts of the world).

Have you also thought about - the high price in the US, especially given the currency, might actually be favorable to someone from outside the US?

01-20-2010, 03:25 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds good to me, one poster had mentioned getting his FA 31/1.8 for about $400, and I think that should be the price for that too...any takers?
01-20-2010, 03:26 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxoid Quote
@matiki: you invented the fact that the lens was sold within one day! From my original post you cannot make that statement (the lens could have been listed a week ago, I just saw it today), thus invalidating your counter-point.

No offense, but I guess that bhphotovideo has more experience in selling photo equipment than you And they probably feel stupid selling a second hand item more than what it used to be new, or maybe it's a simple accountant regulation problem that states so?

At the actual prices, I don't see any good reason for people to buy Pentax. Bodies are good and cheap, but then you get slaughtered on the lenses. And it's the lens that matters right?
Oh! you are actually being serious here, I thought you were joking
01-20-2010, 03:28 PM   #22
Veteran Member

To me, the concept of the "real price" on a used and discontinued item is not a very useful term. It is a bit like picking the price a stock traded for on a given day, and saying that is the real price of the stock.

I paid close to $400 for the lens last year. If I had purchased it a year before,it would have been much less. However, it serves my needs very well, that was the best I could find, and it is worth it to me.

01-20-2010, 03:29 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I understand $269 may not be the true market value for the FA 35mm f/2.0 right now. But it really is all the lens is worth. Anyone who pays more than $300 is paying too much. This is a good lens with a solid reputation. But the hyperbole espoused on this Web site and others made it sound like this was a poor man's 31mm f/1.8 Limited. And it's just not that. All the talk drove up demand in recent years. And since the lens is no longer in production, the price went up as well. But it's gotten out of hand. So, it's true... the "price" of the lens seems to range from $350-$500 depending on new/used/condition, etc. And that price is obviously fair to many. I don't fault them - I almost bought one earlier this month myself. But it's really only "worth" about what it was selling for back when it was still in production. Once you pass $300, you're probably better off buying a brand-new Sigma 30mm f/1.4 with a warranty.
01-20-2010, 03:36 PM   #24

I have to agree , Pentax lens prices, at least in the UK are too high. Street prices jumped by 60% last year! The result of which was the 35mmLtd and the 50-135 I had planned to buy, didn't get bought, so that was £850 ( $1300) Pentax didn't earn. Yes they probably made that on the sale of just one 50-135 from someone with deeper pockets, but I bet the lens sales are wayyyy down, and it was a big gamble to gouge more profit from fewer sales. I almost hope it pays off for the sake of their future.( i.e. - having one)
As it turned out I spent a lot less on the Samsung versions of the 12-24 and the 100 macro. So I got a couple of bargains and Pentax lost some more revenue.
It's still currently cheaper ( in most cases) for me to order a Pentax lens from the States and pay 10% import duty and 17.5% tax than buy the same lens here. That's no way to run an international business.
I can't see me paying £850 for a lens that was £500 six months earlier. I just don't feel I'm that dumb, ( though that remains to be seen) and that is Pentax's problem now. I'm sure I'm not alone on that front.
01-20-2010, 03:51 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxoid Quote
@matiki: you invented the fact that the lens was sold within one day! From my original post you cannot make that statement (the lens could have been listed a week ago, I just saw it today), thus invalidating your counter-point.

For the record, I check B&H used Pentax lenses pretty regularly, including last night and first thing this morning, and there has been no FA 35mm listed, so it was definitely listed later in the morning or afternoon today after I checked. And obviously, this lens would sell immediately at $269. Even before it went the way of the dodo, it was a very highly regarded and sought after lens at $299, its former standard price. So at less than that, in the current context (out of production, still high in demand, many new Pentax users b/c of the K-x, etc.), of course the FA 35 at $269 would sell quickly. But this will by no means become the "going rate" for this lens, and it will still sell at higher than its former standard price, at whatever the market will bear.
01-20-2010, 04:36 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
I also find lenses get 'fashionable' between here and DPR. Right now the 35/2 and 43ltd are hot.

The Bigma used price has dropped a solid $150+ from when it was hot a year or so ago.
I agree. Immediately after the FA28/2.8 was discontinued, it was very hot, hard to find and had a great reputation. Now, no one cares, and lots of people say the F28/2.8 is better. This was when there were a lot fewer Pentax DSLR users. The FA35/2 might cool off eventually in the same way.
01-20-2010, 04:48 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaman Quote
Not going into technical merits of any lens - price is what you pay, value is what you get. So, if one values a lens highly, they might be willing to pay a price upto the realization of that value. Same goes for concession stands at the movies - people buy popcorn at ridiculous prices, because there is no other option.

As someone pointed out - there might be outliers to the price, but economics and free market generally works (at least in most parts of the world).

Have you also thought about - the high price in the US, especially given the currency, might actually be favorable to someone from outside the US?
I do find that lens prices (brand new and used) in the U.S. in general are much cheaper compared to good ol' Canada. but there are times that you luck on a lens that costs as much or cheaper when bought locally (whether due to less price, no shipping charge and duties needed to get paid), but this is by a long shot and luck is needed.
01-20-2010, 04:48 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Sounds good to me, one poster had mentioned getting his FA 31/1.8 for about $400, and I think that should be the price for that too...any takers?
I'm in.
01-20-2010, 04:56 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
you're probably better off buying a brand-new Sigma 30mm f/1.4 with a warranty.
how much is the brand new Sigma anyway? the Sigma is a different lens. it has a different rendering which is less flexible or of little use once out of it's comfort zone. it's a good lens in a special way, but not an excellent overall performer.
01-20-2010, 05:03 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I agree. Immediately after the FA28/2.8 was discontinued, it was very hot, hard to find and had a great reputation. Now, no one cares, and lots of people say the F28/2.8 is better. This was when there were a lot fewer Pentax DSLR users. The FA35/2 might cool off eventually in the same way.
Dave, except that the FA28 is not like the FA35. I'm sure when it comes to demand and both lenses sold at let's say $250 bucks, the FA35 would get sold much better. I'm under the impression that not a lot of people owns/owned the F/FA28 probably because they dont like the images coming from it that much.

if only the FA28 was made like the K28/3.5's optical formula (but retained the f2.8 speed), we might see them selling more in the market at a much higher premium than the FA35.