Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2010, 11:29 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaman Quote
But the point made in this forums is, market sets the price. So if you refuse to buy them, and so do a few more, the price goes down to a point where it can be sustained. However, if others buy it at inflated prices, the lens would now have a new price - even if it is used. People may not want to pay the price, but it is what it is.
That's where I am more patient than the average buyer, the prices will drop on th eused market eventually. I can wait.

01-21-2010, 11:45 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Im personally part of the group that thinks these market place prices are getting ridiculous. When I first joined this forum (not all that long ago) I learned as much as I could and soon made decisions on what lenses fit me. So I got a M 50mm F/1.7 for $20 and now i've yet to see one on the market place for under $60 used. The same can be said for the FA 50mm F/1.4. People are asking $300 + for an extremely used lens that ran ~$250 new not long ago. I could go on and on about other lenses including the DA 55-300mm, DA 40mm, and of course the lens which started this thread. I was contemplating this lens for a while when I first joined and now that I see the need for a "normal" fast prime I get sticker shock. Come on people!

So I am also willing to wait, but unless there are more out there like me the prices will only rise.

:ugh:

(though I am pleased to finally see a member in the market place posting normal lenses (i.e. M 28mm) for not so insane prices. Before I would constantly check the market place because I could afford some of these normal old lenses but now im back to hunting on ebay. I've nearly given up looking here.)
01-21-2010, 01:35 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Another way to look at this problem - so far, the prices have depressed because of lack of demand. Owing to introduction of new models, there is a renewed interest in Pentax brand, and more people are realizing the merits of old lenses. Since the demand is suddenly up, the prices are starting to creep back again. Again, pure economics, and unless there is "irrational exuberance" there is nothing wrong with it.
01-21-2010, 03:04 PM   #49
Igilligan

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
- edit- :ugh:

(though I am pleased to finally see a member in the market place posting normal lenses (i.e. M 28mm) for not so insane prices. Before I would constantly check the market place because I could afford some of these normal old lenses but now im back to hunting on ebay. I've nearly given up looking here.)

Wow... I absolutely agree. I used to buy lots of lenses here. But since this marketplace was opened up to resellers it has become a Greed Festival...

I seldom even look at the marketplace anymore.

01-22-2010, 12:00 AM   #50
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
Exactly, which is why I acknowledge what the market price for the FA 35mm f/2.0 is right now. But I personally feel it is only worth $300 tops. I also acknowledge others may feel differently - and can't fault them for it. But I still feel they are overpaying.
The FA35 is one of the best resolving lenses on the market. I also paid $299 for it, and also felt it was a real bargain.
Yes, there is plastic, but it is well well-built.
I agree, used the lens is probably not worth much more than 280-340 USD.
01-22-2010, 05:34 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Precisely, price equals whatever the market will bear--------------------------it is that simple...........................period!!!
I thought everyone knew this, but apparently not.

The last used FA35/2 here sold for $400. A new one from Pentax store is going for $475.

PentaxWebstore smcP FA 35mm f/2.0 AL

Once these run out, those who waited would wish they bought it for $400.

Check the Photozone sharpness results, easily the best resolving lense considering the whole aperture range by far, and it is an f2 lens.

Pentax SMC-FA 35mm f/2 AL - Review / Test Report

(I know sharpness is not everything but still the facts remain)

Remember that the new Pentax lenses have all gone up in price as well......

I bought the FA35/2 after buying the FA*24/2 and now realize that I shouldn't have, as I am very happy with the wider FA*24, but yet I can't let go of this lens. Not only is it F2, but it is small, and it is razor sharp stopped down from center to corner, and one of the sharpest at f2, and has AF and it is out of production.......why should it cost less?

P.S: I totally understand anyone saying X price is too much for this less, but to say it is wrong for the market price to be such and such, when lenses are still being sold, makes no sense to me.....

Last edited by pcarfan; 01-22-2010 at 05:49 AM.
01-22-2010, 10:17 AM   #52
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote

Check the Photozone sharpness results, easily the best resolving lense considering the whole aperture range by far, and it is an f2 lens...
On a whim, I was on photozone.de just this morning comparing the FA 35/2 with the Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D. The reason why I did that is because the Nikkor is often given as an example why the FA 35/2 is bad value. The Nikkor is a nice lens and got a good review, particularly in regards to build. The FA 35/2 blew it away optically, particularly in the corners. Street price for the Nikkor is about $350-$400 + $35 for the HN-3 hood + ~$20 for the CL-305 pouch. Both hood and pouch are included with the FA 35/2.

Apples-to-apples...I think the Pentax is a reasonably good deal.

Steve

01-22-2010, 10:33 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Apparently, this is a lens that does not appeal to you. I paid $299 (just under your top dollar) and feel that I got a real bargain at that price considering build, size, speed, and performance. It is a very good fit for my needs and I feel that it is a rotten shame that distribution outside Asia is currently extremely limited. What I am curious about is why you have such strong opinions about a lens that you neither own nor would own?

Steve
Sorry it's taken me a while to reply. You're wrong on two points: The lens does have some appeal for me and it's not true that I wouldn't own it. I actually have used the lens and the truth is, I like it. But I don't love it enough to pay whatever the going rate is. It's a very good lens - but not a truly great lens, IMHO. But if it were priced more realistically these days, I would probably own it. The price you paid is a fair one and I wouldn't rule out paying that price myself. But, honestly, my own personal opinion is that $299 should be the going price for new examples - and my refusal to pay the current prevailing price is my vote in a free market.

I posted a separate rant early this month about this lens. I actually ordered a new example from Pentax before I came to my senses and cancelled the order. My strong feelings are related to my frustration with the gaping holes in Pentax's current lens lineup and the soaring prices for new Pentax lenses and, as a direct result, the price of used Pentax lenses. I understand how the market works (I'm in financial news) but Pentax isn't helping. The company needs to be making a DA replacement for the FA 35mm f/2.0 (anything in the 28-35mm range anything f/2.0 or faster) and it should be available at a street price no higher than the DA 40mm Limited. Today, that's $339.

Last edited by Biro; 01-22-2010 at 11:44 AM.
01-22-2010, 10:43 AM   #54
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Wow... I absolutely agree. I used to buy lots of lenses here. But since this marketplace was opened up to resellers it has become a Greed Festival...

I seldom even look at the marketplace anymore.
Are you sure it's not because you have too many lenses?
01-22-2010, 12:05 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
Sorry it's taken me a while to reply. You're wrong on two points: The lens does have some appeal for me and it's not true that I wouldn't own it. I actually have used the lens and the truth is, I like it. But I don't love it enough to pay whatever the going rate is. It's a very good lens - but not a truly great lens, IMHO. But if it were priced more realistically these days, I would probably own it. The price you paid is a fair one and I wouldn't rule out paying that price myself. But, honestly, my own personal opinion is that $299 should be the going price for new examples - and my refusal to pay the current prevailing price is my vote in a free market.

I posted a separate rant early this month about this lens. I actually ordered a new example from Pentax before I came to my senses and cancelled the order. My strong feelings are related to my frustration with the gaping holes in Pentax's current lens lineup and the soaring prices for new Pentax lenses and, as a direct result, the price of used Pentax lenses. I understand how the market works (I'm in financial news) but Pentax isn't helping. The company needs to be making a DA replacement for the FA 35mm f/2.0 (anything in the 28-35mm range anything f/2.0 or faster) and it should be available at a street price no higher than the DA 40mm Limited. Today, that's $339.
if ever Pentax releases a new one or a DA version, don't expect it to cost around that $300 plateau but see it seling around for $650 or more. now question is, are you willing to spend on a new $650 30+mm DA lens?

Last edited by Pentaxor; 01-22-2010 at 12:31 PM.
01-22-2010, 12:17 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
if ever Pentax releases a new one or a DA version, don't expect it to cost around that $300 plateau but see it seling around for $650 or more. now question is, are you willing to spend on a $650 lens?
Which is why they've been spending a lot more money on marketing lately.
01-22-2010, 12:21 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Are you sure it's not because you have too many lenses?
Wait... are you saying you can have too many lenses?
01-22-2010, 12:59 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
On a whim, I was on photozone.de just this morning comparing the FA 35/2 with the Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D. The reason why I did that is because the Nikkor is often given as an example why the FA 35/2 is bad value. The Nikkor is a nice lens and got a good review, particularly in regards to build. The FA 35/2 blew it away optically, particularly in the corners. Street price for the Nikkor is about $350-$400 + $35 for the HN-3 hood + ~$20 for the CL-305 pouch. Both hood and pouch are included with the FA 35/2.

Apples-to-apples...I think the Pentax is a reasonably good deal.

Steve
I was referring to the 35/1.8 for $200 which reviews almost identically to the Pentax 35/2. The stars for optical quality and build are the same from Klaus.
01-22-2010, 01:38 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
if ever Pentax releases a new one or a DA version, don't expect it to cost around that $300 plateau but see it seling around for $650 or more. now question is, are you willing to spend on a new $650 30+mm DA lens?
Out of curiosity, why in the world would they charge $650 for a ~30mm DA lens? Unless its F/1.4, thats just ridiculous. But than again they are charging what $800? for that new macro lens which is a DFA 100mm in a new shell with WR and different aperture blades. Hardly worth that much IMHO.

Granted everyone is pulling this crap right now. I just checked the price of my sigma 105mm.... they want $100 more than they did when I bought mine in the middle of 2009. Now that may not seem a whole lot to most of you, but being 16 and no job
01-22-2010, 01:50 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
I was referring to the 35/1.8 for $200 which reviews almost identically to the Pentax 35/2. The stars for optical quality and build are the same from Klaus.
yes but the Nikon version suffers from spherical aberrations which reduces contrast. besides, that is a Nikon mount.

the FA35 is the only cheaper but faster 35mm alternative for Pentax selling for 100-200 dollars less than the slower DA35. and cost 3x less than the FA31.

there are only 3 options available in the 30+mm field. unless if you want to get a cheaper FA28 or DA40 which are slightly outside the 30mm range.