Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2010, 05:12 PM   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
...But here's a thought... if Pentax actually did a DA version of the current lens with no other upgrades...and assuming the lens would be readily available, mightn't the market price actually be brought down to about $300 simply because of ready availability?
Sure. You used to see some high prices when the rare individual decided to part with his FA 300/4.5 or FA 200/2.8. When Pentax released new equivalents, used FA prices fell into line with the new lens prices.

Instead of blaming resellers, I blame the buyers. I can do this with a clear conscience. I sold almost 200 lenses on eBay, all auction listings starting at $9.95.

01-22-2010, 07:42 PM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
My feeling on this one is that Pentax would not make another 30mm lens since it is pretty much covered from 31-35-40. and thus adding more to the fray would make it quite chaotic already.

a more sensible option is to replace the discontinued FA28 and build a new FA28/1.9 or f2 since Pentax lacks something in that focal range.
Yes, this makes a lot of sense. I've long said Pentax doesn't have to make another 35mm lens... that anything in the range from 28 to 35mm would be fine as long as it's at least as fast as f/2.0.
01-22-2010, 08:13 PM   #78
Site Supporter

. . .
since some people are hesitant to buy the FA35 for it's current market price, I'm just wondering why don't they get the FA28/2.8 which is much more cheaper instead ?

question now is, what is the difference between the FA28 and FA35, that makes the latter more appealing?
AS mentioned, the FA 35mm is f2 and the FA 28 is f2.8. On top of that, the F 28mm f2.8 kicks the FA versions a$$ optically. I fooled around and sold my F version sometime back before I got into AF Pentax film bodies (I intended to get the AF version of the Sigma 24mm f2.8). Frankie At any rate, IF Pentax were to re-release or rework a 28mm, I hope that its the F version and least in f2.8 but ideally f2. I ultimately ended up with the DA 21mm.
01-31-2010, 12:51 PM   #79

Original Poster
At last I managed to buy a 2nd hand FA 35mm at its real price, as I got it for 200€. Marketplace prices make me laugh

01-31-2010, 03:40 PM   #80
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxoid Quote
At last I managed to buy a 2nd hand FA 35mm at its real price, as I got it for 200€. Marketplace prices make me laugh
congratulations ! I just hope that once you get tired of the FA35 and decide to sell it, that you would sell it for it's real price as well. no pun intended but some potential buyers and forum members might keep a close eye on you from now on.

you reap what you sew, as they say it.

anyway, enjoy using a great lens and I hope that you'll appreciate the value of a 200euro lens for it's real worth.
01-31-2010, 05:28 PM   #81
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxoid Quote
Glad to hear that you got what you wanted at the price you wanted to pay. It often works that way if you are willing to wait.

Post some photos on the non-Limited FA thread when you do some shooting. Once you spend some time with the lens, it might also be interesting to hear whether your estimation of value changes.

Steve
01-31-2010, 06:25 PM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Glad to hear that you got what you wanted at the price you wanted to pay. It often works that way if you are willing to wait.

Post some photos on the non-Limited FA thread when you do some shooting. Once you spend some time with the lens, it might also be interesting to hear whether your estimation of value changes.

Steve
it always comes down to how much you value the lens personally and how much really it would cost. anyway, a bargain does not reflect a len's true worth, that's why it is called a bargain in the first place. nor does a rip-off price reflects a lens' true worth. so it's up to the person on understanding the laws of an open market and marketing itself.

at the end of the day, I would strongly argue that people are looking for a fair deal. in general, if luck permits, people always look for a steal bargain and not it's true value.

I'm sure that everybody here would jump on a $400 FA31, simply of the fact that it's a real "bargain".

01-31-2010, 11:58 PM   #83
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

...I'm sure that everybody here would jump on a $400 FA31, simply of the fact that it's a real "bargain".
Sort of like my $525 (brand new with warranty) FA 77 limited? The price was a fluke, the real value is much higher.

Steve
02-01-2010, 01:16 AM   #84
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
FA 35mm F2AL

Here in Japan, FA 35mm F2AL brand new is selling for about $400 U.S. dollars ( depending on the exchange rate of the day ).
02-01-2010, 07:03 AM   #85

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoso Quote
Here in Japan, FA 35mm F2AL brand new is selling for about $400 U.S. dollars ( depending on the exchange rate of the day ).
That's cheap, here in Sweden the price is about $1150 U.S dollars
02-01-2010, 07:14 AM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wavecurrent Quote
That's cheap, here in Sweden the price is about $1150 U.S dollars
you're kidding me right? is there a tariff?

i should run out and get this lens and sell in Sweden. LOL
02-01-2010, 08:01 AM   #87

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoso Quote
you're kidding me right? is there a tariff?

i should run out and get this lens and sell in Sweden. LOL
I bought my two years ago for about 3300SEK, but now the price has increased by over 150% !!
The best price right now is about 8400SEK for the FA35
02-01-2010, 02:04 PM   #88

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote

The point of my clown story was not the free market did not work, but the "free" market could not work. It did not know what was paid for the lens, because it became a Private message bidding war. Since there was no final price reflected for all to see, all that anyone saw was the HIgh asking price. That then became a price indicator helping set the new 'free' market price when the thread was marked 'Sold'. Even the corrupt ebay bidding system shows what the final price was in their bidding wars.

A free market needs information/prices to adjust itself freely... there will always be rich folks who can pay anything for a lens... but a 'free' market price is not detirmined by what a few rich folks can pay... never has been, never will. Almost every company would go out of business if they priced their products only for the top 5% of the economic ladder.

The market place resellers are always attempting to push prices higher... that is the nature of a 'for profit' reseller.

This market for the most part a year ago was "hey I tried this lens but it did not work for my shooting, anyone want to buy it?" maybe we took a little loss on it. No big deal, somebody else got a chance to try it to see if it worked for them.
Now it is about, hey the last FA 35 sold for 400, I will ask 450... It is a very different place now IMHO.

That is why I dont shop much anymore. They can take their paypal fees and shove em'!

I agree with Gus that the marketplace is no longer a place to get used equipment at a "market" price. I'm just glad I got what I wanted before prices went nuts.

But in the interest of experimentation, if you want to beat the re-sellers at their own game, I bet that if a lot of "close" members here started to sell each other "choice" glass at reasonable prices & kept posting these "bargains" that lens prices will eventually will come down over time. Kind of like rigging the stock market with sell orders. Though I would have to say the members here have too much integrity to do something like that.
02-01-2010, 03:59 PM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wavecurrent Quote
I bought my two years ago for about 3300SEK, but now the price has increased by over 150% !!
The best price right now is about 8400SEK for the FA35
Wow, but is it flying off the shelves @ 8400SEK ? or its just a "list" price?
02-02-2010, 08:20 AM   #90
Veteran Member

I'm just wondering how much would the FA35 costs if the FA31 didn't exist? and how much are you willing to pay for it?

for me personally, a $350 price tag would sound cheap in that scenario. so given the demands and limited selection for a faster 35mm lens, a $500-$600 price tag would be ideal.