Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2010, 02:54 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Nice set of Takumars

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ASAHI-PENTAX-TAKUMAR-SET-M42-35-50-135-150-55-1-4-MINT_W...item3a56db51af

Stumbled across this on Ebay. It seems like a nice set of M42 Takumar prime lenses. With the exception of wide-angle, 70-105, and 200+mm telephoto (none of which I shoot that much of and I already have DA zoom lenses that can perform fairly well in those ranges) this set covers the whole range that I shoot most often and they are definitely faster than my zoom lenses.

Can anyone tell me if this is a good deal for this set or what a good offer would be? I cannot afford the Buy It Now price so I am thinking about making an offer but I don't want to offend the owner with a super lowball either. I know all the lenses will be manual and I don't mind stop-down metering with the green button; and I kinda prefer manual focus. Other than that, I do not own any M42 lenses. The seller is including a cheap m42 adapter. Is there better quality adapters made by Pentax still available these days?

Thanks!

-Jason

Last edited by JP_Seattle; 01-21-2010 at 03:08 AM.
01-21-2010, 03:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

You would have to provide more information or a link.
01-21-2010, 03:08 AM   #3

Original Poster
Oops... fixed
01-21-2010, 03:39 AM   #4
Damn Brit

I don't think it's that great a deal. If you wanted all those lenses and didn't want to wait, maybe but you could probably pick them up one at a time for quite a bit less.
Some of the cheaper adapters don't allow you to focus to infinity.

Link for genuine Pentax adapter - PentaxWebstore Mount Adapter K(35m m Screwmount to Bayonet)

01-21-2010, 06:09 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
it's an interesting discussion.

I am in the process of building an M42 kit.

so far I have spent a little more than this, but within that I have a super tak 85mm F1.9 and a takumar 200mm F3.5.

If I exclude those 2 lenses, then my kit which includes 24mm F2.5 tamron, 28mm F2.5 vivitar, 35mm F2 SMC tak, 50mm F1.4 super tak, 50mm F4 SMC tak macro plus extension tubes, 135mm F2.8 Rikenon, and a 2x Soligor TC is under $350.

so Gary is perhaps correct.

also in the market place just around christmas, there was someone selling 3 M42 lenses for about $140
01-21-2010, 06:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

489+65 shipping??? VERY expensive. No deal. (I haven't spotted any SMC version--that is, they don't have coatings that reduce flare and improve contrast.)
01-21-2010, 06:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Nice set of Takumars
I saw a nice set of Takumars once......oh you mean lenses......

01-21-2010, 07:11 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Like Lowell, I have a number of M42 and Takumar lenses. I spotted this auction and dismissed it quickly. I have many of these now and paid much less. The Super Taks are good and have a good coating that was slightly improved with the later Super Multi Coating or SMC. So not bad that way but the SMC versions are worth about 25% more.

I watch this stuff too much (like many of us) and will give you rough values (give or take 15-20% depending on condition and the day they sell. Also hoods (original metal) and cases can add to the values)

Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 - Value $75.00-85.00

Super Takumar 55mm f1.8 - Value $35-50.00

Super Takumar 35mm f3.5 - Value $50-65.00

Super Takumar 135mm f3.5- Value: $75-85.00

Super Takumar 150mm f4- Value: $50-60.00
So lets take my max values above and you are looking at $345.00. Shipping should be $30.00 at most.

The only thing you have to consider, is you will pay more in shipping with individual sales (most likely $50-60 for domestic shipping individually). But you get to choose the lenses you really want and a better price on each.

I'd assume an offer of $300.00 would just insult the guy, but worth a try. Just tell him you checked the individual Ebay past (recent) sales (I did) and came up with an offer based on those sales. He can't argue that. But I suspect the guy is hoping to catch a "flyer".
01-21-2010, 11:10 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Also, be aware of that adapter that he's included in the listing. It's a cheap one with the infamous flange that sits between the lens mount and the lens, making infinity focus impossible.
01-21-2010, 11:38 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

while we have all commented about the kit, and that it is a little over priced, and, that there is still a need to get some wide angle lenses (24 and 28mm)

overall it is A) not a bad collection and B) shows that you can still put a pretty decent lens collection together for about $600 (by the time you fill it out with a WA and a longer tele and macro)
01-21-2010, 01:26 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks for weighing in everyone. I knew the asking price was too high and I could not afford what he is asking anyways, so I was just trying to determine if something like this should actually be in my price range of 250-300.
Also, very good to know that the Super Takumars are not multi-coated.
Thanks!
01-21-2010, 01:35 PM   #12
Damn Brit

A little tip, if you don't mind collecting film bodies. Keep your eye on Craigslist, often you will find grandpa's kit being sold for less than a single lens. This is because the person selling the lens knows what he has. You can always have the cameras CLA'd by Eric and get your money back on them.

Just get yourself the adapter for now so that if you see something local, you can go and try it out.
01-21-2010, 01:37 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JP_Seattle Quote
Thanks for weighing in everyone. I knew the asking price was too high and I could not afford what he is asking anyways, so I was just trying to determine if something like this should actually be in my price range of 250-300.
Also, very good to know that the Super Takumars are not multi-coated.
Thanks!
Just to be clear, while super takumars are not the same as SMC Takumars and later pentaxes, that does not mean the lenses are not junk or the coatings are really all that bad, I have a really old takumar preset, and it is an excellent lens, and does not exhibit any where near the flare that lesser makes of lenses ffom the same vintage produce.

But the other side of the issue is, are these going to be every day working lenses or go out and play with lenses.

That may dictate which you select

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 01-21-2010 at 01:56 PM.
01-21-2010, 01:42 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Another thing to concider, if you think the price on Craigslist is overstated, leave it a few days before offering something reasonable. Often, somebody will have been told what a lens is worth or will have used stupid comparitors for the price... a few days without a peep will often be enough to convince them that their price is unreasonable.

Of course, some people just list and relist until a sucker comes their way, but you don't have to deal with them!
01-21-2010, 02:16 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
...You can always have the cameras CLA'd by Eric and get your money back on them.

What is CLA'd?