Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

View Poll Results: Walk-around 70mm lens
Pentax 17-70 f/4 ($480) 1512.50%
Pentax 50-135 ($820 ) 54.17%
Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 ($570) 43.33%
Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 ($460) 119.17%
Pentax DA 70 f/2.4 ($550) 5545.83%
Pentax FA 77 f/1.8 ($785) 2823.33%
Sigma 70 f/2.8 ($500) 21.67%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2010, 02:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member
FHPhotographer's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Fountain Hills, AZ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,298
70mm poll (reposted)

Assuming you want a good, fast 70mm lens, prime or zoom, for general all-around use (disregard Macro ability) which would you choose for casual portrait, street, cityscapes, etc. For the zooms, consider the overall convenience, but put the emphasis on the the 70mm length.

If I've missed one in the range, please add it in the email comments. . Prices are from B&H as of today. Thanks,
Brian

Pentax 17-70 f/4 ($480)
Pentax 50-135 ($820 )
Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 ($570)
Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 ($460)
Pentax DA 70 f/2.4 ($550)
Pentax FA 77 f/1.8 ($785)
Sigma 70 f/2.8 ($500)


Last edited by FHPhotographer; 01-21-2010 at 02:51 PM.
01-21-2010, 03:01 PM   #2
Senior Member
digitaldevo's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PA, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 154
What about the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC HSM OS?
Sigma - Lenses

Seems it would fit the bill nicely and you get a faster aperture over the Pentax and you also get the faster focusing.
01-21-2010, 04:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member
farfisa's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,274
QuoteOriginally posted by digitaldevo Quote
What about the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC HSM OS?
Sigma - Lenses

Seems it would fit the bill nicely and you get a faster aperture over the Pentax and you also get the faster focusing.
It's not faster at 70mm though!

This is a tough one, because there are so many good lenses there, and there are a lot of applications where one will outshine the others.

For portrait, 77mm bar none. But the DA70 is pocketable and I found it to be better at infinity than the 77, so it would be nicer for landscape, street, etc. The Tamron 28-75mm is versatile and sharp, with great close-up capabilities and if you get a good copy, it can do it all. A little plasticky though.

Of those on the list, I've had the DA70 and still have the Tamron 28-75 and the FA77.

So are you going to buy one of these, or is it just for the poll?

There's the FA*28-70/2.8 which is big and heavy, but some people love theirs. I'd love to try one on day!
01-21-2010, 04:24 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Arpe's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,344
QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
It's not faster at 70mm though!
And yet he has the 17-70 f4 listed.

01-21-2010, 04:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: La Crescenta, CA
Posts: 7,452
The DA 70 is probably in my top 3 favorite lenses. Razor sharp from wide open and very versatile.
01-21-2010, 05:10 PM   #6
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
And yet he has the 17-70 f4 listed.
Its an SMC thing.
01-21-2010, 05:11 PM   #7
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
The DA 70 is probably in my top 3 favorite lenses. Razor sharp from wide open and very versatile.
I had a hard time picking between the FA 77mm and the DA 70mm. Maybe someday I will have both of them but can't afford to have both at the moment. That said, given the lens in this poll, it would come down between those 2 for me.
01-21-2010, 06:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,255
I was on a business trip to Ottawa and took the 17-70 to test it out a little bit...it became a manual focus lens. I revived it eventually, but all the shots I took were focused manually. An SDM lens may not be the best tourist lens, because you may have to bring backup--unless you're fine with manual focus. ...in any case, I voted for DA 70. The limited lenses are so pretty, after all.

01-21-2010, 08:58 PM   #9
Forum Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Southern California
Posts: 51
QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote
Assuming you want a good, fast 70mm lens, prime or zoom, for general all-around use (disregard Macro ability) which would you choose for casual portrait, street, cityscapes, etc. For the zooms, consider the overall convenience, but put the emphasis on the the 70mm length.

If I've missed one in the range, please add it in the email comments. . Prices are from B&H as of today. Thanks,
Brian

Pentax 17-70 f/4 ($480)
Pentax 50-135 ($820 )
Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 ($570)
Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 ($460)
Pentax DA 70 f/2.4 ($550)
Pentax FA 77 f/1.8 ($785)
Sigma 70 f/2.8 ($500)
Zooms are super convenient - especially for an all-around lens, but you stated to place the emphasis on 70mm, which places priority on the 70ish primes. Never tried the Sigma 70mm, so can't really comment on that one. So, between the 70 and 77 limiteds, it's a tough call.

I actually have both the 70 and 77 in my possession at the moment and have been struggling a bit which to send to the used lens market. Both are sharp wide open. Color and contrast are very good. Both are nearly identical in size - the 70 being slightly shorter, but noticeably lighter. AF speed seems comparable to me - maybe a slight edge to the 70mm. The 77mm gives you about an extra stop and even more pleasing bokeh. So, that extra stop makes it just that much more usable. In some situations, there's just no substitute for fast(er) glass. If it's worth the extra $$$ to you, there's your answer.

I think I just solved my own dilemma. Anyone interested in a 1 month-old DA 70mm limited in new condition?
01-22-2010, 09:39 AM   #10
Site Supporter
enoeske's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Surprise, Az
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,925
QuoteOriginally posted by jonlee Quote
Zooms are super convenient - especially for an all-around lens, but you stated to place the emphasis on 70mm, which places priority on the 70ish primes. Never tried the Sigma 70mm, so can't really comment on that one. So, between the 70 and 77 limiteds, it's a tough call.

I actually have both the 70 and 77 in my possession at the moment and have been struggling a bit which to send to the used lens market. Both are sharp wide open. Color and contrast are very good. Both are nearly identical in size - the 70 being slightly shorter, but noticeably lighter. AF speed seems comparable to me - maybe a slight edge to the 70mm. The 77mm gives you about an extra stop and even more pleasing bokeh. So, that extra stop makes it just that much more usable. In some situations, there's just no substitute for fast(er) glass. If it's worth the extra $$$ to you, there's your answer.

I think I just solved my own dilemma. Anyone interested in a 1 month-old DA 70mm limited in new condition?
I am dieing for a da 70 right now. You guys aren't helping. If I had the money, I would buy that in a second.
01-22-2010, 09:46 AM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 337
I know the FA 77 is supposed to be an incredible lens, but the DA 70 is so good also. Because of its focal length, it is by no means one of my most used lenses, but I still think it may be my favorite lens for picture quality, rendering and sharpness. Thus, I voted for the DA 70. But frankly, as a versatile walkaround, I'd probably grab my Tamron 28-75 more often, which is an outstanding lens as well (and if going on a landscapey jaunt, I'd use my Tamron 17-50 over the 28-75 for the extra wide angle). It is great to have different options to choose, but the DA 70 is something special.
01-22-2010, 09:55 AM   #12
Site Supporter
SpecialK's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: So California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,898
Only the wider zooms would work as a "walk around" lens, whatever that is. No way a tele is going to be flexible enough to cover most unplanned subjects as you wander about.
01-23-2010, 05:55 AM   #13
Veteran Member
rustynail925's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philippines
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,552
QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
The Tamron 28-75mm is versatile and sharp, with great close-up capabilities and if you get a good copy, it can do it all. A little plasticky though.

What do you mean it has a great close up capablities? It can do a little bit of macro?
min. focus distance - 0.33m

The Kit lens min focus distance is -0.25m
01-23-2010, 09:25 AM   #14
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 16,213
Love the DA 70. Just beautiful rendering. My only complaint is the lack of close focusing. The 50-135 is really close in image quality, but it is three or four times as big. Would far rather have the smaller lens for walking around.
01-23-2010, 06:51 PM   #15
Senior Member
digitaldevo's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PA, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 154
FYI, I picked a zoom, because a prime in the 70mm range is not going to cut it as a walk around lens, sorry. It makes a great portrait lens, but not a walk around. It is the only one on the list that would work as a walk around imho. But I still vote for the Sigma over the Pentax just for the faster wide end.

I also forgot to say the Tamron 28-75mm is a superb lens!! I owned one when shot Canon and absolutely loved it as a walk around and for weddings. Super sharp. Plastic build is not an issue as it holds up just fine, trust me! But it is lacking on the wide end on a crop body IMHO. It does work decently for close-ups as already mentioned.

I also own the 24-70mm Sigma currently for my SD14 body and love it as well! Mine is super sharp and works awesome for close-ups! Love it, spends most time on my SD14 when not shooting IR.

I haven't owned, but did get to use the 77mm and found it the perfect portrait lens, but limited in use for me(no pun intended) because I can not use my feet to zoom due to being disabled. Many times couldn't use them even if wasn't.

I also used the Sigma 70mm macro and absolutely love it! Considering it right now as a purchase because I need a 1:1 macro for my Pentax(and if go with Pentax mount can use in MF on my Sigma as well). It is a super sharp lens, razor sharp, sometimes too sharp, lol. Awesome for Portraits, if add a bit of soft focus in post, too!

IMHO, you should consider two lenses as a set for your walk around lenses. Tamron 17-50mm + Pentax 50-135mm or Sigma 50-150mm. That to me equals the perfect combo. Or, if on a serious budget, I really like the Sigma 24-135mm f/2.8-4 or even the Tamron SP24-135mm lenses as better walk arounds in a single lens, but both lack a bit on the wide.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
70mm, f/2.8, k-mount, pentax, pentax lens, sigma, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question no.46 poll jezeks Site Suggestions and Help 4 08-01-2010 06:50 AM
Poll: I own a K-7 dopeytree Pentax DSLR Discussion 62 01-28-2010 01:10 AM
Poll- K20D AF Leya216 Pentax DSLR Discussion 10 03-31-2008 10:17 PM
Another SDM poll Edvinas Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 01-31-2008 02:35 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:58 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top