Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2010, 06:00 PM   #1

Bigma and Katzeye

I did some searching but didn't come up with any definitive answer. I've just purchased a Bigma for my K20 and wondered if anyone who is using this lens, is also using the Katzeye split screen? How does it work for you? I've got a Katzeye on my DS and could try that combo but was just wondering. I know Katzeye states they've had success from f11 on up to f22 sometimes, but experience is the best teacher.

Appreciate any help, in advance.

Michael

01-21-2010, 10:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Katzeye

I've had a katzeye in a K20 for about 2 weeks, I'm fairly satisfied with it.
Everything cat people said is pretty much true,at face value.
I dont have the BIGMA, have tried an old M 300mm f/4 with 2x and 1.7x TC.s
even necked down a stop to give me something around f/11,on bright,sunny day
every thing was fine,though when darker wound up using matte portion of screen.
My biggest gripe is what happens to spot metering,which has nothing to do with
whats seen through view finder,cat people said it be so, so this should be no
suprise to me.
01-21-2010, 10:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MichaelRD Quote
I did some searching but didn't come up with any definitive answer. I've just purchased a Bigma for my K20 and wondered if anyone who is using this lens, is also using the Katzeye split screen? How does it work for you? I've got a Katzeye on my DS and could try that combo but was just wondering. I know Katzeye states they've had success from f11 on up to f22 sometimes, but experience is the best teacher.

Appreciate any help, in advance.

Michael
Katzeye is an excellent addition to the k20d. I wrote a review of it for this forum with pics. I think the bigma goes to something like f/6.3 at the long end right? You will find that as the max aperture of the lens goes beyond say 5.6, the Katzeye will lose it's "pop." The split screen will still work ok, but the microprisms will be useless. I noticed this on the long end of the 18-250 which is also an f/6.3.
01-21-2010, 11:59 PM   #4

Original Poster
thank you

Thanks Bill, Poke;

I have used the katzeye before and it is indeed a nice addition for manual focus, so I already approve, but I hadn't used it with anything like the Bigma. I've been using it and half the time, seems I do better with manual focus so the hunting is minimized. That's why I wanted someone's opinion who has actually used the focus screen at the 500 end. I've read that the actual f stop is closer to f7, so....

Poke;

I haven't ever used the microprisms, even when I had my ME way back when. I guess I just depended on lining up the two halves. That's the part I miss but maybe I'm just a creature of habit, though the K20 is a lot better than my DS when it comes to manual focus. I've read your thread extensively and thank you for all your hard work. The Katzeye is definitely worth the cost to me, but I didn't want to be disappointed since I'll be using the long end of the Bigma more often than not. I know Katzeye says up to f11, but as I said; users' experience is a better guage.

If anyone else has Bigma and Katzeye stories, by all means; let me hear them!

Michael

01-23-2010, 10:22 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MichaelRD Quote
...I haven't ever used the microprisms, even when I had my ME way back when. I guess I just depended on lining up the two halves. That's the part I miss but maybe I'm just a creature of habit, though the K20 is a lot better than my DS when it comes to manual focus. I've read your thread extensively and thank you for all your hard work. The Katzeye is definitely worth the cost to me, but I didn't want to be disappointed since I'll be using the long end of the Bigma more often than not. I know Katzeye says up to f11, but as I said; users' experience is a better guage.

If anyone else has Bigma and Katzeye stories, by all means; let me hear them!
I don't have the Bigma, but with my Tamron 28-300, it works as PentaxPoke describes on the long end (also f6.3).

All of the combinations that I have with a small max aperture are also low-contrast. One example is a Tokina SD 400/5.6 with a 2x TC. The split prisms still work with exactly the right eye position. The low contrast would affect all the other possible focus solutions as well.

I never used the microprisms on film, but they are great in near-darkness with a fast prime lens. I'm talking about f1.2, 1/15 sec. and ISO 200, around Ev 3.