Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2010, 07:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lens price-fixing scandal to come?

You know, when everyone started raising the price of glass in lock-step, I immediately thought "price fixing cartel". ...so how many are like me and think there's a chance we'll find Pentax swooped-up with Canon, Nikon, Sigma and Tamron in a price-fixing scandal in months or years to come?

01-21-2010, 08:30 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lens prices went up because of currency exchange rates. They are made in countries whose rates became more favorable than ours. The lens price in the countries of origin remained relatively stable.
01-22-2010, 01:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mdave13 Quote
Lens prices went up because of currency exchange rates. They are made in countries whose rates became more favorable than ours. The lens price in the countries of origin remained relatively stable.
I also think other aspects such as DSLR video is playing a part in the cartel.
Oh and this forum too.
01-22-2010, 04:50 AM   #4
Inactive Account

To be honest...I couldn't care any less. It is what it is and I'm certainly not going to loose any sleep or get worked up about it.

c[_]

01-22-2010, 05:18 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't think so for an instant, but anyone can look on Amazon and see what lenses are going for. Nikon and the other companies usually make an announcement ahead of time that they are going to raise prices as well, so it's not like they're operating in a vaccum. At the same time, prices for most things go up over time, it's called inflation. If you would compare the relative cost of a high quality lens in 1980 to now, you would find that the cost was actually more in 1980.
01-22-2010, 06:36 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

The OP has got to be kidding.
01-22-2010, 07:04 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
maybe he still thinks the CIA was responsible for the JFK assination

In all honesty, when I compare inflation to today, I would agree with others who say it has not changed much.

It would be interesting to do a study, since I have all the prices from when I got my first camera and lenses in 1981 and also with my PZ-1 in 1991, to comparable models today (relitive to top of the line models) and see where we are.

If I had to guess, I would say that only the *istD is out of line with reality. It was expensive. More expensive than either my K10D or K7D, all bought concurrent with release in Canada

01-22-2010, 07:21 AM   #8
m8o
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
No, just terribly ignorant I guess.

Otherwise, in general, the increases seemed more excessive than could be attributed to/by currency rates, but I stand corrected.
01-22-2010, 08:08 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
No, just terribly ignorant I guess.

Otherwise, in general, the increases seemed more excessive than could be attributed to/by currency rates, but I stand corrected.
In Pentax's case, some lenses were very undervalued and Hoya increased the price a lot.
The FA50/1.4 is an example.
Companies will tend to charge what the market will bear, but consider that similar products from different manufacturers will have similar cost structures associated with them.
01-22-2010, 08:33 AM   #10
juu
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
You know, when everyone started raising the price of glass in lock-step, I immediately thought "price fixing cartel". ...so how many are like me and think there's a chance we'll find Pentax swooped-up with Canon, Nikon, Sigma and Tamron in a price-fixing scandal in months or years to come?
When you say 'everyone', who do you mean? I only know of Pentax price hikes, did everyone else do the same to a larger degree than can be explained by currency fluctuations?

Companies acting individually can price their products as they want. If somebody doesn't like the price of the FA50/1.4 or, say, the 12-24 in the UK they can always switch systems.

With that said, the Hoya MAP agreements which enforce prices that resellers can sell their products at seem at the very least unethical and hurting competition, and at most illegal in some jurisdictions:
http://www.2filter.com/hoya/HoyaHDpricemarketing.html

I thought that was what this thread was referring to when I saw the title.